IGNORED

New (to me) bike - what to check immediately?

roryhewitt

roryhewitt

OK, I did it and I bought a 2008 K1200GT... I test rode it a couple of weeks ago but it had a low rear tire, so I went out again today and test rode it again and it was great.

I just rode it home from the owner's home (50-ish miles) and all seemed well - no warning lights, nothing jumping out at me. I own several other bikes, including a Kawasaki Versys 1000LT (another large-ish inline-4) and it feels similar to that, but with an obviously different riding position - more sport-tourer than ADV.

Anyway...

The bike has been sitting for about a year on a battery tender. The owner regularly started it up and let it run for a while, but didn't ride it at all. The low rear tire was, I assume, just from time sitting - now it's up to 42psi, it rides fine, and it's a 2021, so it's pretty new.

What are the things I should do immediately (if any)?

I don't hear anything obviously wrong from the engine - I heard some horror stories about cam tensioners etc., but nothing obvious AFAICT.

I only have a single key, so I should probably get a spare, and I assume they're probably horrifically expensive, right? I'm also assuming an oil change (plus filter?) and maybe a coolant flush? The transmission fluid shouldn't need changing, should it - I heard these shaft drives were pretty much foolproof?

Anything else I need to check out before I start riding it 'in anger'?

2024-03-20 16.40.10.jpg

2024-03-20 16.40.39.jpg

• Like 2
Rinkydink

Change all fluids including a complete brake flush. I would check your air box/filter for rodent intrusion. A 2021 date code on your tires is a good thing. I didn’t see a mention of mileage but new plugs or brake pads might be in order. Fresh gas and ride it. Enjoy. 

• Like 1
BerettaRacer

Oh, I've heard nothing but horror stories about those bikes!!!

If you drop it off at my house sometime in the next few weeks, I'll take it to the START rally in April and give it a good bashing, er, I mean I'll check it out for you.

:3:

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
Skywagon

The BMW drivehafts and final drives are not bulletproof. They require routine maintenance.  Get in the habit of changing the final drive fluid at least every 12k miles. I change mine with every oil change. It’s cheap. 

Be sure the boot on the final drive is properly greased with waterproof sealer and it has the proper clamps to keep water out. 

See Boxflyer videos on changing fluids. It’s not the same bike as yours, but will still show you what needs to be done to keep your drivetrain healthy

There are some GT experts on the site. I’m not one of them. Post any questions you might have and someone will likely answer. 

Enjoy and welcome. 

PS. Your front seat looks like a Russell Day Long from Shasta… but it looks to me like it was made backwards… I dunno… as not familiar with GT seats

roryhewitt
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

[...]Your front seat looks like a Russell Day Long from Shasta… but it looks to me like it was made backwards… I dunno… as not familiar with GT seats

Yeah, the seat is not quite right for me - it's too wide (although I get that for folks wanting to ride all day, it's probably perfect). I prefer a more 'sport' feeling, so I will lower the bars (they're currently pretty high) and likely swap out the seat for the OEM 'narrow' seat if I can find one on EBay.

And you're right - it's a Russell (says so underneath). No idea whether it's on backwards, but their page shows a lot of seats that match mine - https://day-long.com/gallery/bmw/

roryhewitt

follow-up question - it doesn't appear that I can get a physical Haynes/Clymer manual for this bike - only a DVD, from various reliable (or not!) sites. Is that true, or are there actual books out there somewhere for sale? I hate using a laptop in the garage.

Skywagon

look where the wings are...thats what russell calls them.  Yours seem to be up front facing backwards instead of at the rear facing forward.  Maybe thats a GT deal...dunno.  Write Russell, send them a picture, and ask is this the normal or a special request.  They are good people and will respond  I've bought 4 seats from them over the years.

On the manual....I googled around a bit and found this.  Sierra are good people too.  Give them a call and see if this works.

BMW currently not selling service manuals as they want you to take it to the dealer for everything.

Clymer K1200RS|K1200LT|K1200GT (98-10) Repair Manual – Sierra BMW Motorcycle (shopbmwmotorcycle.com)

K1200GT.jpg

• Thanks 1
Hosstage

I was going to say that the seat can't be backwards, it only mounts one way. But that is one goofy looking seat. No way I could use it, my legs would never even get close to the ground until the bike was already down there too.

• Like 1
Lowndes
2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

On the manual....I googled around a bit and found this.  Sierra are good people too.  Give them a call and see if this works.

BMW currently not selling service manuals as they want you to take it to the dealer for everything.

Clymer K1200RS|K1200LT|K1200GT (98-10) Repair Manual – Sierra BMW Motorcycle (shopbmwmotorcycle.com)

K1200GT.jpg

David,

That Clymer manual is for the original K type with the longitudinal engine ("The Flying Brick").  The K that Rory has is the transverse engine.  Totally different everything.  I've got one each. 

There is no Clymer for the newer BMW bikes, including the transverse K.  I got all excited when I saw your post and almost ordered that manual.  But I already have it.  !!

BMW refused to release the tech info on their cars and bikes sometime around 2005.  Someone in the US sued for the car info to be released and won.  But BMW still will not release the bike info.  I have a copy of the "BMW service manual" but it is a hot mess to try and use it.  BMW is trying to make everyone take it to the authorized dealer to do everything including adjusting the rear view mirrors.

BerettaRacer
13 hours ago, Lowndes said:

BMW is trying to make everyone take it to the authorized dealer to do everything including adjusting the rear view mirrors.

But the problem is, BMW dealers refuse to work on the bikes now because of BMW's new rule to "not work on bikes if they are more than 10 yrs old".

• Thinking 1
Lowndes
15 minutes ago, BerettaRacer said:

But the problem is, BMW dealers refuse to work on the bikes now because of BMW's new rule to "not work on bikes if they are more than 10 yrs old".

Is that really a BMW Policy or just the reality that there are too few techs left that had the training and skills needed to work on older models??

I have been told by the local dealer that was "their (dealership) policy".  

MikeB60
16 hours ago, Lowndes said:

BMW refused to release the tech info on their cars and bikes sometime around 2005.

You could get a technical manual directly from BMW Motorrad until 2020. Probably some bootleg stuff on ebay for the K bike.

• Like 1
MikeB60
20 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Yours seem to be up front facing backwards instead of at the rear facing forward.  Maybe thats a GT deal...dunno. 

The seat is not backwards just looks different than a boxer

roryhewitt

There are LOADS of copies of the physical Clymer M501-3 manual out there on the web, but of course they only cover earlier years of the K1200GT. No physical copies of a manual for this year.

I suspect I'll do what I did with my Aprilia - just get the DVD version (or PDF if it's available) and get Kinko's to print & ring-bind it. Not cheap, but better than having to work off a laptop.

As far as the seat goes, I have no idea if it's backwards or forwards (design-wise - obviously the seat only fits in there one way). I bought the bike from a...um...larger lady, who bought it from a female cop (I'm the first male owner) - perhaps one of those two specifically got the seat made differently for their posterior? It's not too uncomfortable - at least it wasn't for the 50 miles I put on it so far. But I will look online for the OEM seat without the wings, drop the bars and get it back to being a sportier feel.

Can anyone point me to a 'legit' DVD (.iso format) or PDF of the manual that I can download - one that they use and doesn't include malware etc.? To be clear, I'm all for paying for manuals and not just downloading bootleg stuff (I've done this for most of my previous bikes), but that appears to be the only option here, given BMW policy to not make this manual available.

BerettaRacer

There have been a bunch of re-calls on these bikes. Any decent BMW dealer should be able to look up your Vin# and print out what's been done and what is outstanding.

Two of the most important (dangerous) to my thinking anyway, the "dogbone" in the rear suspension link has been strengthened because the link bearings (4 places) were not being serviced, stressing the dogbone and snapping it. And the aluminum rear wheel hub has been changed to steel, rear wheel snapping off underway.

Lessor ones are immobilizer ring disabling the bike, airbox to updated version, and others I can't think of.

The plastic fuel tank quick dis-connect is prone to leaking, upgrade to brass.

Bikes are prone to stalling at low speeds, due to running lean to pass emissions. For me doing a "cannisterectomy" solved 90% of my problems.

Many owners add either Af-XiED or Booster Plug to help richen mixture.

Vendors you'll be using.

Max BMW

Beemerboneyard

Pirates Lair

roryhewitt

@BerettaRacer,

The plastic fuel tank quick dis-connect is prone to leaking, upgrade to brass.

Ugh - this will be the THIRD bike I've had to do that fix on - why do manufacturers (including BMW, it seems), cheap out on plastic quick-release fuel fittings?????

I did a quick VIN check on the BMW site and it didn't state any outstanding recalls. But as soon as the paperwork is in my name (gotta wait for the California DMV!), I'm taking it to my local BMW shop to get a second key ('only' $130 or so) and to get them to give it a post-purchase inspection - hopefully not to tell me I've made a horrible mistake :)

In the limited time I've ridden it, not seen any low-speed stalling at either cold or hot, which is a good sign.

Thanks!

roryhewitt

I wanted to say thanks to everyone here who has responded and provided advice, encouragement and general good feeling - this is what motorcycling is all about!