IGNORED

EPM Performance

Rougarou

Rougarou

Any one with experience. RT has over 150k and i dont wanna fund new shocks. 

I queried a quote to rebuild the ESA shocks and they gave me some numbers

Another shop stated that ESA’s couldn’t be rebuilt. 

The motors seem to work as the dampening does change with the modes

So, any feedback on them would be great

dirtrider
53 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Any one with experience. RT has over 150k and i dont wanna fund new shocks. 

I queried a quote to rebuild the ESA shocks and they gave me some numbers

Another shop stated that ESA’s couldn’t be rebuilt. 

The motors seem to work as the dampening does change with the modes

So, any feedback on them would be great

Afternoon  Rougarou

Your damping & preload uses different actuators. Does the rear change height (change preload)? 

I can't really help you on who to do a rebuild, there are places that do it though. 

With you having a 2006 that is close to the rear strut control changeover.  Does the pre-load (height adjustment) motor have 2 or 3 wires coming from it?

That makes a difference in what will fit & work, if the early 2 wire (HALL) type if you go with something later then you might have to get a dealer re-program to run it (this is just to inform on complications that you might run into so be sure to ask questions if going with something other than just having your strut rebuilt)

Uncle Brad

You may want to contact Ted Porter.

https://www.beemershop.com/?utm_source=GMBlisting&utm_medium=organic

As far as i know he's the ESA guy.  He can rebuild/replace the actuators.   I asked if that was true for the preload and was told yes but i suggest you verify that.

I'm dealing with his Canadian counterpart.  Here's part of the info from the quote, keep in mind that this is a Canadian price.

A BMW ESA shock service is $550 per shock, plus your tax.

It includes the disassemble and machining as required for custom needle filler and seal head parts, and lathe polish for shock shaft.  Reassemble with custom Viton seal head seal, N2 filler,  wiper and bushing. Refill with synthetic oil and then charge with nitrogen.

They (Ted Porter) have some alternatives but you're looking at $$$.  The solution i'm leaning towards is a set of TracTive shock with ESA damping but a hydraulic preload.  If i go that route, i'll be near $4k by the time it arrives at my door.

Here's one of Ted's vids to get you started. 

If anyone has better and/or cheaper alternatives, i'd love to hear about them.

Cheers!

• Confused 1
Rougarou
On 3/19/2024 at 6:36 PM, Uncle Brad said:

You may want to contact Ted Porter.

https://www.beemershop.com/?utm_source=GMBlisting&utm_medium=organic

As far as i know he's the ESA guy.  He can rebuild/replace the actuators.   I asked if that was true for the preload and was told yes but i suggest you verify that.

I'm dealing with his Canadian counterpart.  Here's part of the info from the quote, keep in mind that this is a Canadian price.

A BMW ESA shock service is $550 per shock, plus your tax.

It includes the disassemble and machining as required for custom needle filler and seal head parts, and lathe polish for shock shaft.  Reassemble with custom Viton seal head seal, N2 filler,  wiper and bushing. Refill with synthetic oil and then charge with nitrogen.

They (Ted Porter) have some alternatives but you're looking at $$$.  The solution i'm leaning towards is a set of TracTive shock with ESA damping but a hydraulic preload.  If i go that route, i'll be near $4k by the time it arrives at my door.

Here's one of Ted's vids to get you started. 

If anyone has better and/or cheaper alternatives, i'd love to hear about them.

Cheers!

I did already, this was the response:

We do not rebuild the stock shocks, they are price point items and very few parts are available for them. They will reach an end of life and you cannot get things like piston rods, cylinders and other related hard parts. In many cases you cannot remove the separation piston to replace the seals on it and set the height either because after the factory installs the piston they crimp the body to hold it in place rather than make a threaded body and removeable cap like a quality aftermarket shock. They are very cheaply made and were not intended to be serviced. You will notice there is no nitrogen valve for example. To be frank with you we toss then into the metal recycle can after we transfer the ESA motors onto the new shocks.

If you’re interested in upgrading your shocks have a look at our suspension page for you bike under “Shop by Bike” either manual or ESA shocks. You can install manual shocks if you like, the bike doesn’t care if you remove the ESA, there will be no warnings on your display so you have lots of options.

Hence why I'm looking at EPM.  I'll used DR's questions to query EPM and doubly check the rise and fall when I switch modes

marcopolo

If you're talking EPM Performance in New Jersey, I dealt with them a couple of years ago.  But, that was to replace the OEM shocks on my 2015 GSA, not rebuild them.  I bought the Wilbers WESA shocks.  EPM was very responsive, knowlegeable and provided timelines that they met.  It was a very positive experience.

• Like 1

When I was dealing with this issue, I spoke with EPM, the Wilbers importer for the USA, and they told me that they could rebuilt or refresh the BMW ESA shocks for around $450.00 plus shipping, each.

But you maybe able to find a used set with a few miles for less.

Give them a call. 

DR is correct about the different versions of pre-load motors used by BMW on the ESA shocks.

• Like 1
pwillikers

EPM rebuilt my OEM rear ESA shock about 10K miles ago and it's still going strong.  They have a technique for nitrogen pressurizing the shock after rebuild by drilling a port in the shock body, pressurizing and plugging that makes the purportedly un-rebuildable shock rebuildable.  I was dubious at the outset but took the chance.  The proof is in the pudding.  Link to discussion.

I can echo the prior comments about excellent service.  I'd use them again without hesitation.

• Like 1
Rougarou
On 3/19/2024 at 11:13 AM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon  Rougarou

Your damping & preload uses different actuators. Does the rear change height (change preload)? 

I can't really help you on who to do a rebuild, there are places that do it though. 

With you having a 2006 that is close to the rear strut control changeover.  Does the pre-load (height adjustment) motor have 2 or 3 wires coming from it?

That makes a difference in what will fit & work, if the early 2 wire (HALL) type if you go with something later then you might have to get a dealer re-program to run it (this is just to inform on complications that you might run into so be sure to ask questions if going with something other than just having your strut rebuilt)

DR,

I did the test in this video (not my video), and the rear shock does do exactly like the video shows.

Mebbee my eyes can't see it, but I did not see any height change, but the shock does function as the video shows. 

I really can't justify spending $2k on a set of new-new shocks for a bike that is likely not even worth $2k in a sale.

• Like 1
dirtrider

DR,

I did the test in this video (not my video), and the rear shock does do exactly like the video shows.

Mebbee my eyes can't see it, but I did not see any height change, but the shock does function as the video shows. 

I really can't justify spending $2k on a set of new-new shocks for a bike that is likely not even worth $2k in a sale.

Evening Richard  

If the upper spring seat moves DOWN (like in the video above) then that is compressing the spring, but the spring really doesn't compress as the rear of the motorcycle weight has not changed. SO, that means the rear of the motorcycle will lift up. Not a lot but the same amount as the spring seat moved down. 

If you measure the rear height before, then re-measure the rear height after the upper spring seat moves down you will measure a difference,  if you then bounce the rear of the motorcycle it will probably measure slightly higher yet rear due to the bouncing breaking the strut stiction free. 

• Like 2