IGNORED

GS-911 Yellow - Inquiry

JZ67

I found a used GS-911 Yellow on FB marketplace not too far away.  Apparently has 4 VIN's left.  It is relatively inexpensive compared to new.  Any disadvantages to the Yellow over the Red.  This is less than 1/4 the price of new.   

dirtrider
1 hour ago, JZ67 said:

I found a used GS-911 Yellow on FB marketplace not too far away.  Apparently has 4 VIN's left.  It is relatively inexpensive compared to new.  Any disadvantages to the Yellow over the Red.  This is less than 1/4 the price of new.   

Morning Morning JZ67

Yes, or at least there can be depending on what you want to do with it & what BMW year/model that you want to use it on. 

Not a lot of update support for the older yellow GS-911 units.  

If you have a newer BMW, or want to do Bluetooth/wifi connections, or trap riding data IN the GS-911 (no laptop connected & strapped to something) then get the later red GS-911 (well worth the extra money)  

If you have an older 1100 or 1150 those don't produce a lot of useful data so the yellow GS-911 still works OK on those. 

@JZ67, my yellow Gen1 USB Enthusiast model works fine on my '06 RT, which I think is the same bike as yours.  As best I can tell from the GS-911 comparison and function charts, the newer models will not tell you any more about your bike than the old ones.  It's true the firmware has not changed in the past few years, but neither has my bike and the most recent version works as intended.  The red models provide wireless convenience and support for newer bikes with features the '06 RT lacks. That might be a consideration if you anticipate another BMW in your future.

dirtrider
1 hour ago, JZ67 said:

Afternoon JZ67

If you have a hexhead and are thinking of that yellow GS-911 then just make sure it isn't the very old yellow 3 pin GS-911 as that won't give you anything really useful on hexhead with canbus.  

Thanks for the replies. I do have an 06 with canbus. How do you pull the information down, connect to a PC?

I am not sure what version this is. They are asking $150 CDN which is about $110 US. Does this seem reasonable?

dirtrider
28 minutes ago, JZ67 said:

Thanks for the replies. I do have an 06 with canbus. How do you pull the information down, connect to a PC?

I am not sure what version this is. They are asking $150 CDN which is about $110 US. Does this seem reasonable?

Afternoon JZ67

Depends, if it is a 3 pin that it isn't worth $5.00 for your motorcycle. 

If it's a10 pin yellow then it has some value.  It kind of depends on your finances. Personally I wouldn't buy an old yellow unit because of it's not going onto the future for more modern BMW's, especially without updates. 

Send me a link to the FB marketplace ad, I will try to see what you are looking at. 

Let's see what you are looking at, maybe we can find a way for you to offer less money for it. 

KetoSoi

I have a 10-pin gs911 for my '09, for common/simple stuff they work fine, used mine for years. They arent updating the software/firmware on those any more. If its cheap enough, go for it. The new Red ones have more options/features to change on the bike, but their upgrade path totally sucks, and isnt worth it IMHO. I bought the Motoscan app, one of their recommend ODB2 devices and the adapter cable, instead. A more cost-effective solution, and far better value IMHO. You might want to look there as well.

K