IGNORED

Aux Light Setup?

Stresspuppy

Stresspuppy

I'm looking to add some aux lights to the front of my RT and I'm curious what lights (brand, type, location) everyone is running. Show me what you got!

I currently have Skene lights front (amber, mounted down near the axle) and rear (red, on either side of the license plate) that are setup to work with the turn signals, flashing brake lights, and flash with horn. I have the top case with the integrated brake light. I'm looking to put the visibility reflectors on the back of the panniers (black during the day, white and reflective when hit with headlights). This seems like I would be covered for visibility from the rear.

For the front, I'm contemplating the Cyclops setup for high and low beams (I have generic LEDs in now, but high beams give the infamous bulb out warning when turned on). What I haven't figured out is what else would be worthwhile to make sure I am visible/distinguishable from the front. The Skene's border on obnoxious, which isn't a bad thing in this case. I only occasionally ride at night (when my ride runs longer than planned) so lighting up the road is secondary.

I spoke to someone at Denali (extremely helpful and patient with all my questions) and they recommended their D2 pods in Selective Yellow mounted below the mirrors (their mount, see below) to be more conspicuous. Has anyone used these lights and/or mounted something under the mirrors? My guess is these would likely make it difficult to remove the tupperware without messing with the light mount. Is that an ok place to mount for visibility? I had also thought about their D3s on my Ilium crash bars. Or should the D2s be on the crash bars and forego the D3s since I rarely ride at night. I do plan to use the Denali CANSmart (which is just a HexCAN branded for Denali), although the Skene's are wired in as the instructions state and wouldn't be hooked into the CANSmart.

I don't want to over do it, just be as visible as possible without breaking the bank. I'm (mostly) ok with the Denali cost, not so much with the Clearwater. 

I'm curious of your thoughts, and seeing what your setup looks like.

(not my bike, just Denali image showing where the D2 pods would go)

Denali-D2mirrormount.jpg.890c811844605a393d62067633672f2d.jpg

IMG_8390.thumb.jpg.955b2b67bb36845cb2fba82198f9d75b.jpg

I have the above setup available. It is BMW Fog light brackets mounted to the frame.

The lights are a Hybrid setup from Clearwater LED.

The left is a Erica and the right is a Sevina. Both have lens covers installed. Clear on the left side and yellow on the right side.

This setup was very effective, and I had planned to move them to my 23 RT, but it came with LED driving lights installed on the same brackets.

I don't like the mirror mounts, besides being too close to the head lights, they also complicate routine maintenance.

With this setup, you create the triangle effect and most folks take a double take with the one yellow lens.

If interested, I can send more info and pictures. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Bernie on the triangle light effect,  I also think lights below the turn indicator make it harder for people to see your turn signals. I would leave the Skene lights on the bile, they work.

• Like 2
Stresspuppy

@Bernie That is interesting. I don't think I've seen a setup with one white, one yellow, but it makes sense that it would stand out. Clearwaters do seem to be the high bar, but from what I have read, Denalis are pretty decent for the price point. And supposedly their "Selective Yellow" is just enough different that it stands out more than the amber (but I'm just going on here-say and their sales person). The Denali D3 is about the size I was think (3.5"). Wow, that Sevina is a pretty big light (4.7"). I have the Ilium crash bars so I'd need to mount something to those since the bars use the BMW mount points. But that shouldn't be an issue, unless that big of a light would get in the way or stick out too far. I had an esthetic (and OCD) vision of them being the same on both sides but I'm not opposed to considering a different option. Yes, please PM me some other pics and info. 

Did you have those setup with a CANSmart/HexCAN? Or just wired in with a switch? Or always on (with ignition)?

Good points on the lights being below the mirrors (and from @don v as well). I have heard about "the triangle" but didn't give it much thought, though it makes sense. 

• Like 1

I had them connected with the CanOpener from ClearWater and with that you can control them through the bikes controls.

You can adjust brightness for day light and night time, plus when you switch to high beam it goes to full power.

If the different sizes bothers you, I would recommend to buy a pair of Erikas and a set of lens covers.

I don't have the can opener for sale, as I will be reusing it to power my Billie Tail light. 

If you have the crash bars, you are best of to use a set of Erikas and the mounting clamps from ClearWater. 

I think they have a complete kit available.

wbw6cos

I have Clearwater Darlas mounted on the forks.   The white LED's just above those are the OEM ones that came with the bike.  I spread them out a little to mount on the ilium works drop bars.

This photo was taken just before my other one, which you can see at the top of the page, in the center.  This view gives you the straight-on perspective.  The brightness on the  Darlas are programmable and set at 70% during the day, 10% at night and go to 100% with high beams or horn sounding.

3994870.thumb.jpg.39c1b3c80da6c7e406c2c663f8afa8cf.jpg

• Like 4

I have two sets of Clearwater lights on the 2019RT

Lower with yellow covers are Darla

Uppers are Sevina

Both on the Canbus

The OEM headlamps are replaced with Cyclops LED

Flash the high beams and the whole front of the bike strobes (as it does with the air horn)

The previous owner did a great job of adding visibility to the bike.  

The photo is with a riding buddy and conveniently hides his Goldwing.

IMG_6256.jpg

• Like 1
Stresspuppy
47 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

… ilium works drop bars.

Thanks for the correction. I should know better because I have tested them a time or two unfortunately. But they definitely work. 

I have the Skenes (came with the bike) down low so it would seem those and the fork lights would kind of blend together.  Spread out on drop bars might work. And it seems yellow/amber at best for those lights, or is preference?

I struggle with the cost of the Clearwaters and would likely look at Denalis. 

• Like 1
wbw6cos

ON my 2000 R 1200 C (yeah, that  bike again - suck it, haters!  LOL) I have Skenes, using both amber AND white.   The white ones shown are the older generation of Skenes and have since been replaced with a new version that has the solid lense, similar to the ambers.  You can stack a few of those side by side, but their 90 degree brackets will weaken over time due to fatigue from wind and the 3 LED modules.  I built brackets out of  thicker aluminum bars, sourced from a Home supply store. 

By the way, the Skenes' conspicuity flicker is awesome!         

20200711_162714-2.thumb.jpg.1ba70f5a7068a144eecd22880f25ca79.jpg          

20200713_173451-1.thumb.jpg.3e2961f342fab3e10b13be81642d2f6f.jpg                   

• Like 2
Stresspuppy

The Skenes I have are the ones on the inside of your picture with all the individual LEDs, which I think are kinda ugly. I reached out to them to see if they would make me a deal for just the lights so I could swap mine out for the new, better looking style (yeah, OCD and me…)  but I haven’t pulled the trigger on that. I want to figure out the other lights and circle back to those. 

As for the flicker, I think it has kept people off my tail. They get close and eventually they fall back. Either 90% of those riding behind me are very courteous drivers or the flicker gets to them and they back off. 

• Like 1
Bill Murray

On my prior bike, a 2015 R1200RT, I mounted a pair of Clearwater Erica lights. I used BMW's fog light brackets, which made this a very clean installation with the "triangle" effect that has already been discussed. Clearwater's "Darla" lights might be sufficient if all you are seeking is a daytime running light. I prefer the Ericas.

On my 2021 R1250GSA, I now run with a set of Clearwater's amber lens covers. My riding buddy says they really help my bike stand out against other vehicles on the road. My GSA also has Clearwater's Billie brake light. It connects into the CANSmart and has several programmable modes. On my 2023 S1000R, BMW relies on the two turn signals as a brake light. Having been rear-ended before on a bike, I think this is unsafe and unacceptable design compromise, so I also have a Billie brake light on this bike.  

I have had Clearwater lights on three bikes -- highly recommended.

• Like 2
Limecreek

D3’s on the top mounted to Denali brackets and my 10 YO set of DR1’s on the bottom with yellow lenses. Both sets are controlled by a Hex EzCan. 

IMG_7223.jpeg

IMG_7224.jpeg

IMG_7225.jpeg

• Like 1
MikeB60

More pics! EzCan is the the way to go!  The RT has Denali 4s mounted to the crash bars still haven't made up my mind if I want them on top or below the crash bars. I also have one flood and one beam lens. Rode about an hour in the dark last night need to make some adjustments and make up my mind on that as well.  

The GT has fork mounted darlas like @wbw6cos. They are great lights but the Denali are priced better and the EzCan makes them a no brainer. The higher mounted lights project down the road better but I just don't like how they look and as stated previously you don't get the triangle effect. 

20240319_080301.thumb.jpg.8374792359111d309ffa14c145ffd0cd.jpg20240319_080142.thumb.jpg.408376b8ed93ec69c39b054145b45a31.jpg

• Like 2
Stresspuppy

The triangle look makes sense both from a visibility perspective and I like it aesthetically (OCD again creeping in). For that, I guess I would want to put the lights down lower on the forks, but how does that affect the Skenes that are down there? Is it too much to have the Denali D2s down there sitting right above the Skenes? Or Is it better to have them (If I put them on the bars, I'd go for the larger D3s) on the drop bars (lower although if the bike does drop, the lights would take a big hit). 

MikeB60

You already have a triangle with your Skeens and I'm not sure how much additional lighting will impact you being noticed. Skeens are great lights I have them on the rear of the GT and front and rear of my son's Triumph. 

If you want more light for night riding I would not go with the D2s. I misspoke earlier I have the D3s on the RT crash bars and that's the route I would recommend. The EzCan also has the option to temporarily turn of the D3s when the turn signals are activated so they don't wash out the turn signals. 

• Like 1
Stresspuppy
42 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

You already have a triangle with your Skeens and I'm not sure how much additional lighting will impact you being noticed. Skeens are great lights I have them on the rear of the GT and front and rear of my son's Triumph. 

If you want more light for night riding I would not go with the D2s. I misspoke earlier I have the D3s on the RT crash bars and that's the route I would recommend. The EzCan also has the option to temporarily turn of the D3s when the turn signals are activated so they don't wash out the turn signals. 

Good point. And I don't ride at night at the moment, unless I'm running later on a ride than planned, so maybe I don't need to do anything at the moment and just plan for the D3s on the drop bars if I start to ride more at night. It wouldn't hurt my feelings not to spend more money. :)

• Like 1
RandyShields

There are so many good auxiliary lights out there right now, it is hard to go wrong with any of them.  Clearwaters are the gold standard, but Denalis and others are pretty darn close.  Better to have something of any brand up front for conspicuity rather than nothing.  I like all the twin pairs that folks have shown; I have that set up on my GS (with Ericas and Darlas), but just a single set of Darlas on my RT (you can see one side on my avatar).  I definitely believe other vehicles can see me better with the amber covers.  Keep in mind that the excellent Billie brake light is a less expensive Clearwater option for the tail, but it needs a can opener to work.  Good luck with your research and decision.

• Like 1

Baja Designs IMO are also worth a look.  Clearwaters are for sure top shelf but Baja can make an affordable option.  Have had both btw.  Took the plunge on Cyclops for headlight LED and happy.  Took the headlight bucket out and it's not that bad to accomplish and patience helps.  

Stresspuppy

All good points. It seems the triangle is a minimum approach (which I kind of have with the Skenes) with a second set to take it to the next level. With START coming up in a little over a month, I may put the credit card back in my wallet for the moment and see what folks have up close and decide what to do. At a minimum, I may do the Cyclops upgrade over my cheap LEDs (that cause the dashboard light out error). After START I can make a plan. But I'm still up for hearing from others if you have thoughts.

wbw6cos

Me and my RT will be available at START Wed through Sunday.   Autographed copies of photos will also be offered.  :burnout:

• Like 1
  • Smile 2
  • Haha 3
taylor1

William, are they the same autographed photos of you in your speedo that you had last year?

• Haha 3
RandyShields
1 hour ago, Stresspuppy said:

With START coming up in a little over a month, I may put the credit card back in my wallet for the moment and see what folks have up close and decide what to do.

Great idea.  There will be many set ups to see in person.  

• Like 1
wbw6cos
42 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

William, are they the same autographed photos of you in your speedo that you had last year?

Dave, now why you be trying to scare off First Timers?  

• Smile 2
  • Haha 2
Stresspuppy
1 hour ago, taylor1 said:

I don’t know William, yet, but I do know this is NOT an image I want in my head. 

• Haha 2
taylor1

Those of us that know him have come to except his exhibitionism, and once you meet him, you'll see he's pretty a good guy .  :3:

• Thinking 1
greiffster
9 hours ago, Stresspuppy said:

All good points. It seems the triangle is a minimum approach (which I kind of have with the Skenes) with a second set to take it to the next level. With START coming up in a little over a month, I may put the credit card back in my wallet for the moment and see what folks have up close and decide what to do. At a minimum, I may do the Cyclops upgrade over my cheap LEDs (that cause the dashboard light out error). After START I can make a plan. But I'm still up for hearing from others if you have thoughts.

I've got the Cyclops on my GS.  I have them running through my Centech AP-1 for power with the DRL on whenever the ignition is on.  The main lamp is obviously switched on the handlebar.  Lots of light and a very good alternative for less money.  Here is a really bad picture.....IMG_7353.thumb.jpg.6da2f8f03702dbaaacaf0968e38afd6b.jpg

• Like 2
realshelby

I went "cheap" for auxiliary lights for years. Got tired of rusting components. Tired of wiring and switches that just seemed like a hack job. 

Finally went to Clearwater lights on last RT. Their Can Opener seems to be OEM and even above OEM quality for how it works and how it connects to bikes electrical system. Nothing I have ever seen is close in function and quality of connectors and hardware. Lights are simply the best I have ever used over many years. 

Advice? Save up for the Clearwater and you will NEVER regret the decision. 

• Plus 1 2
Stresspuppy

Hopefully at START there will be people with Clearwaters and Denalis to compare at least the hardware. I think the CanOpener, CANSmart, and Hex EZ-Can all do pretty much the same thing (Denali CANSmart is just a rebranded Hex EZ-CAN) so I'll decide on that once I figure out the lights. For now, I purchased the Cyclops lights (high and low) as well as the newer version of the Skene light pods (because... OCD). After START, I'll likely get something like the Denali D3 or Clearwater Darla to put on the drop bars. But we'll see. The wallet is starting to feel a bit light.

RandyShields
5 hours ago, Stresspuppy said:

Hopefully at START there will be people with Clearwaters and Denalis to compare at least the hardware.

There will.

• Plus 1 1
Stresspuppy

I ordered the Cyclops headlights and upgraded Skene LEDs. I didn't realize they were the same company. I spoke with Sandra who was extremely helpful and she gave me a bit of a discount for buying it all together. Now to find a Saturday to disassemble the front end to get the headlights in and do some digging through things to figure out where the previous owner rand and hooked up the Skene LEDs. All before START hopefully. I'll see what people have at START and figure out my other aux lights from there.

• Like 2

I have put two resistors in my 2019 1250RT in the last couple weeks-I'm a professional now for doing that without taking the front of the bike apart.  I'm sure they told you/sold you a resistor or two for the bike.  Their service folks (Brian especially) was so helpful.  The lights are amazing.  I am still waiting to get a ride with the second resistor in to avoid the fault when high beams are on.  I'll be at START and curious to see if your bike has the same issues.    Dave   

Stresspuppy

You must have done some voodoo magic or have small hands. Getting the standard bulb high beams in was a nightmare. I’m not going to try it with the Cyclops. Probably about the same time and no frustration to take the front apart from what I’ve read. 

I must admit that I almost gave in and took the whole thing apart, but then all of a sudden it worked.  I didn't donate nearly as much blood on the 2019 as I did on the 2010 RT light changes-those were brutal for me.  I've seen some guys get it in in seconds.  Once I did the right side, the left was so easy.  But you will learn alot more about the bike doing it your way.  

But you will LOVE the light it gives you

On 3/19/2024 at 2:56 PM, Stresspuppy said:

Great advice and I have done this numerous times using the MOA National or Americade as my search point for ideas on things like tank bags, light set ups, windshields, etc.  You get to see the stuff in person and many times chat with the owner for thoughts and ideas. 

Like others I have been loyal to Clearwater simply because my local BMW dealer has a great relationship with them and always has a discount deal going.  But I had Denali's on my 2012 GSA and they were just as dependable.   If you are looking to be seen and conspicuity the Darlas or Denali D2's are plenty!   Trust me you WILL Be seen.   I VERY VERY rarely ride at night so anything more than Darlas of D2's is a bit overkill.   But the bigger lights will certainly turn night into day.   Also, as Bernie noted ... I should strongly encourage using the BMW light brackets (Clearwater sells them too) as you never have to touch the light for any maintenance items and they work with both Darlas and D2's.  I am running the BMW brackets on both my RT and GS.  Yes ... they work on the GS if you don't have crash bars.  I only have cylinder guards on the GS so they work like a champ.   Oh ... I would also strongly suggest the yellow light covers or lens as they REALLY pop in daytime.   The nice thing about Clearwater Darlas is they yellow lens are covers so when they get beat up from bugs and wear you can just get new yellow lenses from Clearwater,  you don't need the whole cover as they will sell you just the yellow lens.  Actually most times are the MOA National Rally they will just give you a new set of lenses. Good luck! 

• Like 1
On 3/18/2024 at 3:33 PM, DBULL said:

I have two sets of Clearwater lights on the 2019RT

Lower with yellow covers are Darla

Uppers are Sevina

Both on the Canbus

The OEM headlamps are replaced with Cyclops LED

Flash the high beams and the whole front of the bike strobes (as it does with the air horn)

The previous owner did a great job of adding visibility to the bike.  

The photo is with a riding buddy and conveniently hides his Goldwing.

IMG_6256.jpg

Nearly identical to my 2018.  I'm running Darla's below and Erica's above.  Mounted on Illium crash bars.  Works via wonder wheel and high beam switch.  Couldn't be happier.

• Like 2