IGNORED

Riding Gear

Skywagon

Skywagon

Time for some new riding gear.  Mine is getting long in the tooth.  The jacket has to be airmesh of some sort.  It's just too hot here in the summer to not have breathable jacket....but...abrasion resistance is important too.  It can't be cheap polyester.

What are you using now for jacket?

What are you using now for over pants?

My riding is all street riding.  Nothing off-road.

RandyShields

The go to summer mesh gear for many of us in the southeast is Motoport. Kevlar reinforced; stronger than leather (the only textile allowed on the track).  Expensive, but custom made so it fits.  Don't get the hi-viz yellow; it fades very quickly (don't ask me how I know).  The grey that a friend has looks great.

Motoport USA | Custom Motorcycle Apparel

• Like 2

I just purchased Klim's Induction Pro jacket and Induction pants.  Just delivered today.  Will report my thoughts if interested.  

• Like 1
Skywagon

Ron-M...please do.  It's on the list to look at because I can try them on locally.  Randy...looking at Motoport, but not sure which jacket you are referencing.  I have hi-Viz yellow on BMW jacket now....and yes it faded quickly.

• Like 1
Camhead64

Plus one for Motoport, I've had them since 1999, I purchased one HiViz yellow jacket, it faded in two seasons, but that's the only complaint, functionally perfect otherwise. Made to your provided measurements, the removable liner design allows comfortable air flow with protection in very hot conditions, and the liners are  absolutely leak free.  I rode from the RA Rally last year from West Virginia to my hotel in Fishkill New York in an absolute downpour, arrived at the hotel chilled to the bone but dry, I won't use anything else. 

Skywagon

Ok. So how did you guarantee Motoport size. Did you go off the rack or use their sizing tool in the website. 

RandyShields
8 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Ok. So how did you guarantee Motoport size. Did you go off the rack or use their sizing tool in the website. 

Used their sizing tool.  Worked well, although I did have to return the pants to make the bottom of the pant legs wider to go far enough over my boots.  Easy process.

This is interesting.  I forgot about Motoport. I got my delivery of the Klim gear and found it to be a well made product.  The problem I have with the Induction Pro jacket is its length.  The length is just a little too long for my taste.  I like a jacket that is more waist length vs 3/4 length.  Maybe I will get used to it.  It is a heavy jacket that feels very heavy in the shoulder and arms due to its protection.  I can tell there will be good airflow due to its mesh body and arms.  Zipper is well made as well.  I am a little disappointed that there was no jacket liner either that came with the jacket or as an option.  The airflow pants are well made but I need to return them due to sizing error on my part.  Klim uses a button vs a snap or sliding snap to secure the waist and Klim has belt loops vs. adjustable waist style of pant.  After reading about motoport, i think I will take a step back for a couple of days and re-evaluate.  

Randy, What Motoport pants did you buy?

Chris K

Motoport is very helpful to talk to if you have any problems or questions with their sizing. They needed to add some length to the arms of my jacket. I can't remember the add on cost but I thought it was reasonable. 

szurszewski

Another motoport fan. I have had about ten different mesh jackets (I’ve not tried Klim’s - but I don’t find their stuff, to me, to be worth the premium price) and none of them felt as “safe” as my motoport mesh. In fact I literally wore through a couple of them without any crashes. I’ve had the moroport pants - which I ordered custom sized - for about 13 years. They are finally showing a tiny bit of abrasion on the surface of the knees. I have spent a LOT of time crawling around on pavement doing roadside fixes of various cheap old bmws - I’d have worn through any other mesh pants years ago. My jacket I bought used in 2015. I know it has more than 100k on it with me, and other than a very minor bit of fade (it’s black) and needing new zipper pulls for the sleeves, it looks the same as when I got it.

I do have the liners for both but I don’t know that I’d buy them again if I got a new suit. They did work perfectly, but years ago I stopped using them. I often ride with a heated “waterproof” (listed as such but very much isn’t) jacket liner and when it’s raining or really cold I have a rain shell jacket/pants I’ll wear over the motoport. The gear is already heavy and it’s REALLY heavy wet - it dries ok but not as quickly as Wayne says (maybe it would in Texas!). 

Here’s a pic coming home from the MOA in Great Falls ‘21. Someone took an all day adventure class at the rally and maybe got too cocky. I was going more than 20 but less than 40 and hit some soft/freshly graded gravel. I had been going the other way, and when the bike spun one of the cases hit me in the lower back as I got tossed into the ditch. I had a little sore spot and that was it. 

image.thumb.jpeg.be642cf4845d80bf71766b621911d64a.jpeg

Here’s another shot where I look equally dorky (so, accurate photography) on the same trip showing the jacket as well. If you zoom in you can see the slight discoloration on my knee. Oh - I love that you can throw the whole garment with armor into the washing machine. This is the only gear I’ve ever washed even semi regularly. 

image.thumb.png.686b6e664a8b34c7732db83b400ef4fa.png

• Like 1
RandyShields
2 hours ago, Ron-M said:

Randy, What Motoport pants did you buy?

I got the Air Mesh pant, with hip pads and a zipper to connect to the jacket. They are not the cargo pant type. The front of the pant is the air mesh material; the back and seat are the stretch material, which is softer and more comfortable against the bike.  I don't like the fact that the hip pads are sewn in; there is no Velcro opening to remove them.

The Air Mesh jacket is the waist cut version.  In fairness on the fading comment I made earlier with the Hi-Viz yellow, I did not fully read the website and instructions, and used them for 3 years before I treated them last summer with the recommended Formula 303 Fabric Guard.  That is a great product that also noticeably increases water repellency.  And, if I had done that right away and each year thereafter, that would have helped fend off some of the UV damage.

And a final note on airflow.  The air mesh material looks pretty tightly put together, and I was initially apprehensive about air flow.  It is not as good as, say, my Tourmaster Intake jacket, but it is exponentially safer in a get off, and it does flow air fairly well.  I really noticed how well the jacket flowed air when I wore it on a cool day and needed to stop to add a liner.

Good luck on your research and choices guys.

• Like 1

Motoport is especially good if you have  different than "standard" sizes.  I am short of leg, and a bit wider than normal.  My custom made Motoport pants are great.  Something that fits and has really great protection.  For colder weather, I have some custom Aerostich AD-1 pants.

• Like 1
duckhawk64

FIRSTGEAR KILIMINJARO jacket and pants. Just bought the pants with the bib and suspenders a few weeks ago. 

Screenshot_20240306_184139_Chrome.jpg