IGNORED

Navigation - Connected App- Route Question

simskid

simskid

I have a question maybe one of you can answer.  I have also sent this to BMW support but haven't heard back.  FYI - I am in CT and have a new 2024 RT.  ( Wasn't sure where I should post this question).  

I am just beginning to use the Connected app navigation and it seems to work ok in terms of setting up local routes.  However, the only way that I seem to be able to set up long distance routes is using google maps and changing the URL to a GPX and importing it into to the app.  That seems to work fine.   But if I try to use to use the app to set up a long distance route - let's say somewhere in Iowa the app doesn't find ANY Iowa addresses .  In fact it doesn't find addresses anywhere outside a few states from CT (it doesn't find Des Moines, Minneapolis, San Diego, etc).  My worry is that if I am somewhere in Montana and need to set to set up a route will the app identify those addresses in the Montana area and region?  

I have downloaded all of the North America maps so I am assuming the app has a geo limit to it OR am I dong something wrong and have I missed something in the setup?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

At the time of you trying to create those more distant routes, were you connected to the internet with the phone? I believe quite a bit of data is still accessed on demand when planning, but once the route is created it stores all related info on the phone. Haven't tested it though I use a dedicated app to create my routes.

simskid
7 minutes ago, Hati said:

At the time of you trying to create those more distant routes, were you connected to the internet with the phone? I believe quite a bit of data is still accessed on demand when planning, but once the route is created it stores all related info on the phone. Haven't tested it though I use a dedicated app to create my routes.

Yeah.  Its connected.  It seems I can't locate anything west of NY state, PA, MD, VA..........but I'll check to make sure my VPN is off (probably doesn't matter). and maybe re download the maps again.

All  I can suggest is to remove and reinstall the app and pay special attention to permissions when you start using it again. Other than that, out of ideas.

• Like 1

You may want to check the settings in the app and recheck your map data. There was an update recently, that required all maps to be reinstalled. Out of curiosity I tried a few searches and even though it is a little trouble some, you can find things or I can even find addresses from contacts, with no problems.

• Like 1
simskid
16 minutes ago, Bernie said:

You may want to check the settings in the app and recheck your map data. There was an update recently, that required all maps to be reinstalled. Out of curiosity I tried a few searches and even though it is a little trouble some, you can find things or I can even find addresses from contacts, with no problems.

Bernie, You're in Florida.  Can you find locations in Oregon?

Yes, and no. I have to scan over to the NW of the USA, then tell it search for Redmond Oregon. Or for the Best Western Prineville Inn in Prineville, OR and it will find it. But if I have it search in my general area of the SE of USA, NO it will not find it. 

IMG_9793.thumb.png.36ca0ad5a6e7c4a11e8d6a8d7ea808b9.png

simskid

HMM..  I  re downloaded the maps and still no luck.  Maybe BMW support will have an answer.  I have a feeling that the closer I get to a region of the country that I currently can't access - I'll be able to get locations.  Who knows.  I'll just keep using google ,maps and importing routes.  Bernie, Thanks for checking.  Hate, Thanks for your help as well.

John

Camhead64

Same as what Bernie found.  If I move the map over the state I want to search in, then enter the address it works fine.

• Like 1

I make my routes in BaseCamp, but I have also tried making a route in Kurviger.de, which lets me export the route as a GPX file. The interface is like a Google Map and it works in any Web browser or device. I can use it in my Windows laptop, my Apple MacBook Pro, my iPad or my iPhone. Yes, it is based in Germany, but it lets you select different languages. You could also try Ride With GPS App, or OsmAnd Maps App. These items work either in a web browser or on any mobile device and are great to either search an items and create a route to export into the BMW Connected App.  

• Plus 1 1

I've never seen the Connected Ride app, but many apps will only search for a destination in the displayed map area.  Try zooming out and panning the map to the area of interest.

• Plus 1 1
Steveyacht

I recently routed my upcoming ride to the Americade in Lake George, NY, North Conway, NH, Freeport, ME then back, starting from my home in Little River, SC.  I had some problems, at first until I learned that I wasn't able to change the route on Google Maps by dragging the away points to different roads, that I wanted to explore.  I had to accept the route choices that Google Maps came up with, without any of my modifications.  I was then able to convert these to GPX by using this app: https://mapstogpx.com/.  Word of advice, if it won't work by copy and pasting the URL, enter it manually. I had that problem but when I typed in the URL, it worked perfectly.

Hope this helps.

simskid

This forum is GREAT!!!  I had no idea that you had to move over the map to get a location.  I figured it worked just like my Garmin or other map programs!!  Thanks to all you who got me to the solution!  

John

My thanks to simskid for asking the question in the first place as I had the same apparent problem.

Seeing the “solution” should have been obvious but it never dawned on me to just run the map over/near the destination to make the area search work properly.

Nothing like trying to get to a spot in Manhattan, KS from Florida when you don’t know the method to do it.

Thanks to all.

AD

• Like 2
MikeB60
10 minutes ago, ADulay said:

Nothing like trying to get to a spot in Manhattan, KS from Florida when you don’t know the method to do it.

Trust me, you really don't want to go to Manhattan KS!

• Haha 3
John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, MikeB60 said:

Trust me, you really don't want to go to Manhattan KS!

Landed/flew out of Manhattan many times en route to Abilene.   

• Thinking 1
MikeB60
36 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Landed/flew out of Manhattan many times en route to Abilene.   

I'm sorry...

• Haha 1
Camhead64
7 hours ago, ADulay said:

My thanks to simskid for asking the question in the first place as I had the same apparent problem.

Seeing the “solution” should have been obvious but it never dawned on me to just run the map over/near the destination to make the area search work properly.

Thanks to all.

AD

Glad it works for you.  It is kinda of a fu**ed up way to have to search something, I've noticed the POI's are not up to date nor very complete.  The app is very much like the TomTom I use on my R1200r, I think BMW teamed up with TomTom for the development of the app. I do like the approach, having to purchase another expensive unit for navigation when I carry one in my pocket is a waste of money, however I've got to believe the phone is difficult platform to work with. I'd really like to see the data transferred to the bike via the usb port rather than a combination of bluetooth and wifi, I've got to believe that data transfer would be faster and more reliable.

• Like 2