IGNORED

K12RS Clutch Replacement

matanuska

This may have been asked before, but I searched and can't seem to find anything so bear with me.

I'm at the point in my clutch replacement of reinstalling the clutch housing on the main engine output shaft. Problem is there is a rather thick o-ring that goes inside and for the life of me I can't see any way of getting it to slide over the splines. I've tried pressing with some jacking screws but can't seem to even get it started. I've read in the manual not to pound on the engine output shaft without the main shaft nut installed on the clutch housing.

So how do I get this thing together? Anyone else done this before?

Thanks

Derek

JerryMather

Call me at American Turbo Power sometime today at 818 785-2900 if you need help when you do this.

Steps :

Thrust washer

Clutch Housing

O Ring

Thrust Ring

Split Type Nut

Tighten Nut to140 Nm, then loosen it and retighten it to 50Nm and 60 degrees

Thanks Jerry!

I stared at the thing some more last night and I think I figured it out. My confusion came from when I originally removed the clutch housing. I didn’t take out the o-ring and when I pulled the housing off, somehow the old o-ring ended up in the internal groove machined about half way down the inside of the clutch housing splines, so naturally I assumed this is where it must go. However, when I went to put it back together I found there is no way in hell to get that o-ring to fit over the shaft splines, particularly when its inside that groove. After studying the parts and the drawings some more I realized the o-ring must go directly in front of the thrust ring and split nut after the housing is already installed on the shaft. There’s simply no other way to assemble it! Your sequence of steps above confirms that too.

I’m still a little confused about the 60-degree thing. Maybe it’s just the terminology. I assume they are trying to say the wrench should be held at around the 2 to 3 o’clock position looking at the clutch housing? In other words, you need to be on the right side pushing down with the wrench as opposed to on the left side lifting up (or you’ll lift the engine – guess how I figured that one out!).

Thanks again

Derek

They mean tighten to 50NM then through a further 60 degrees of rotation.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Thanks Andy,

That makes more sense. Just talked to Jerry and that's what he did too. I think I'm over analyzing this part of the reassembly! dopeslap.gif

Dennis Andress
They mean tighten to 50NM then through a further 60 degrees of rotation.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Thanks Andy,

That makes more sense. Just talked to Jerry and that's what he did too. I think I'm over analyzing this part of the reassembly! dopeslap.gif

Stay away from the Bridgeport....

Archived