IGNORED

Throttle control Empty. Problem with Throttle Valve sensor

Dolomats

Dolomats

Hello everyone

I have a problem with my motorcycle BMW f700gs 2017. I tried to clean the Throttle valve sensor because the bike was stalling and I messed up.

After I opened the Throttle valve sensor to clean and put it back the throttle become empty not responding so there is anyone who can help me and tell me what to do to fix this issue.

Here is a video of the problem below.

Thank you everyone

Joe Frickin' Friday
43 minutes ago, Dolomats said:

Hello everyone

I have a problem with my motorcycle BMW f700gs 2017. I tried to clean the Throttle valve sensor because the bike was stalling and I messed up.

After I opened the Throttle valve sensor to clean and put it back the throttle become empty not responding so there is anyone who can help me and tell me what to do to fix this issue.

Thank you everyone

Hello Dolomats -

Welcome to BMWST.  Your video shows that the throttle valve and fuel injector are not responding to your inputs at the throttle grip.  It seems like the electrical connector to the electronic throttle body is not plugged in - or if it is plugged in, it's not fully seated.  Can you check to make sure that connector is fully plugged in?  

Dolomats

Hi Joe Frickin

Thanks for you fast answer, I will check and let you know.

And I just to know "After taking off the sensor and putting it back is it necessary to program the ECU again or something ?"

Thank you

dirtrider
2 hours ago, Dolomats said:

Hello everyone

Thank you everyone

Evening Dolomats

If all is connected correctly with no bent terminal pins, or no terminals pushed back into the connector then it might need a Throttle motor calibration.

I don't know how you can do that without a GS-911 or dealer computer. 

You might try a battery disconnect for about 10 minutes, then a battery reconnect, then turn the key to ON (do not start engine), then slowly fully open & close the throttle  (twist grip) from fully closed to fully open then back to fully closed.

Then try starting it & see if the throttle works.   

Dolomats
45 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Evening Dolomats

If all is connected correctly with no bent terminal pins, or no terminals pushed back into the connector then it might need a Throttle motor calibration.

I don't know how you can do that without a GS-911 or dealer computer. 

You might try a battery disconnect for about 10 minutes, then a battery reconnect, then turn the key to ON (do not start engine), then slowly fully open & close the throttle  (twist grip) from fully closed to fully open then back to fully closed.

Then try starting it & see if the throttle works.   

Hello dirtrider

I did try this maneuver "You might try a battery disconnect for about 10 minutes, then a battery reconnect, then turn the key to ON (do not start engine), then slowly fully open & close the throttle  (twist grip) from fully closed to fully open then back to fully closed. " but it didn't work seems just like a myth for me tried it many time without success.

dirtrider
24 minutes ago, Dolomats said:

Hello dirtrider

I did try this maneuver "You might try a battery disconnect for about 10 minutes, then a battery reconnect, then turn the key to ON (do not start engine), then slowly fully open & close the throttle  (twist grip) from fully closed to fully open then back to fully closed. " but it didn't work seems just like a myth for me tried it many time without success.

Evening Dolomats

If all removed connectors are reconnected properly, the pins are not bent or pushed back, &  the sensor didn't get ruined with the cleaning process then you will probably have to get a scanner (like aGS-911) on that motorcycle to see it has any stored fault codes that could effect the electronic throttle, then if OK do a throttle calibration. 

Dolomats
27 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Evening Dolomats

If all removed connectors are reconnected properly, the pins are not bent or pushed back, &  the sensor didn't get ruined with the cleaning process then you will probably have to get a scanner (like aGS-911) on that motorcycle to see it has any stored fault codes that could effect the electronic throttle, then if OK do a throttle calibration. 

Is it Possible To do a throttle calibration with the GS 911 if Yes how please ?

Dennis Andress

Hello Dolomats

I haven't found a description of how to do a throttle calibration in the GS-911 manual   https://www.hexgs911.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/GS-911-Basic-Document-V1.4.pdf    I recall it's part of resetting "adaptations," but I'd have to connect my bike and GS-911 to find where it's at.

In your video, once the bike started it did not respond to moving the throttle. I would expect the engine to at least try to do something. It leaves me wondering about problems with wiring and connectors.

The GS-911 is two pieces:

1.) A device, pictured below, that connects the bike to a notebook computer

2.) Software that runs on the computer.

The software will offer to do an AutoScan after connecting the bike to the GS-911. Any problems found will be reported as fault codes. Reading and fixing those fault codes would be my next step. (After inspecting and cleaning every connector one more time.)

image.png

GS-911 distributors map:   https://www.hexinnovate.com/find-a-distributor/

Dolomats
4 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

Hello Dolomats

I haven't found a description of how to do a throttle calibration in the GS-911 manual   https://www.hexgs911.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/GS-911-Basic-Document-V1.4.pdf    I recall it's part of resetting "adaptations," but I'd have to connect my bike and GS-911 to find where it's at.

In your video, once the bike started it did not respond to moving the throttle. I would expect the engine to at least try to do something. It leaves me wondering about problems with wiring and connectors.

The GS-911 is two pieces:

1.) A device, pictured below, that connects the bike to a notebook computer

2.) Software that runs on the computer.

The software will offer to do an AutoScan after connecting the bike to the GS-911. Any problems found will be reported as fault codes. Reading and fixing those fault codes would be my next step. (After inspecting and cleaning every connector one more time.)

image.png

GS-911 distributors map:   https://www.hexinnovate.com/find-a-distributor/

Thanks For you answer, Ill recheck all wire and let you know.

dirtrider
15 hours ago, Dolomats said:

Is it Possible To do a throttle calibration with the GS 911 if Yes how please ?

Morning Dolomats

It should be possible, I haven't done the electronic throttle BMW  750 yet but it should be in one of the GS-911 menus under engine controls. 

Are you getting a pop-up warning on the dash at key-on after engine starting that says something like ( Fault in the Engine Control/ Onward journey possible ride carefully )? 

That might possibly  tell us something on what you are dealing with.  If no warning pops up then the computer isn't seeing the throttle motor (possible open circuit) OR, it is so far out of calibration that the computer doesn't even know how to respond. 

Lacking a GS-911 to grab the system fault codes I would probably verify that ALL things you disconnected are fully plugged back in with no bent terminal pins & no terminal pins pushed back into the connector therefore not making contact. 

After FULLY verifying the wire harness connections & pins I would then start trying things like___

Key to ON (do not start)  then hold throttle wide open for a couple of minutes,

Key OFF, then hold throttle wide open, then turn key on for a couple of minutes (do not start),

Key to ON/kill switch OFF  (do not start),  then turn kill switch back on while holding throttle wide open for a couple of minutes,

Try things like that as sometimes things like that can put the computer into a "recognize throttle motor" mode. 

Be creative on what you try___ 

Without a fault code or codes it is a lot of guessing & hoping with luck being the key word on finding the problem. 

Dolomats
3 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Are you getting a pop-up warning on the dash at key-on after engine starting that says something like ( Fault in the Engine Control/ Onward journey possible ride carefully )? 

Thank you very mush for your efforts.

When I turn on the engine there is no error code the error appear only when I start using the throttle and it s not responding and it start to pop and the idle it s accelerating like 2 or 3 rpm (see the errors on thee photos).

When I turn the rod manually with a plier while the engine is running the rpm go down and the idle is getting stable but when I let it go the rod back to it s place and the rpm goes up to 2 / 3. So maybe it have something to do with the small rode where the throttle valve sensor goes it s not in the right position but can't put it in the right one because it always back to previous one.

22 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Can you check to make sure that connector is fully plugged in?  

Yes I did check the connector and they seems in good shape and well plugged.

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-12 at 17.43.05.jpeg

dirtrider
1 hour ago, Dolomats said:

Thank you very mush for your efforts.

When I turn on the engine there is no error code the error appear only when I start using the throttle and it s not responding and it start to pop and the idle it s accelerating like 2 or 3 rpm (see the errors on thee photos).

When I turn the rod manually with a plier while the engine is running the rpm go down and the idle is getting stable but when I let it go the rod back to it s place and the rpm goes up to 2 / 3. So maybe it have something to do with the small rode where the throttle valve sensor goes it s not in the right position but can't put it in the right one because it always back to previous one.

Yes I did check the connector and they seems in good shape and well plugged.

Afternoon  Dolomats

Well, if you don't have bent or retracted terminal pins & the connectors are plugged in properly then you are running out of options. 

Is the sensor mounted correctly?? This is a must.

You can try some different things (basically different throttle openings & power-ON combinations) but you are probably at the point of needing to read the stored fault codes to have some idea on where to start looking for your problem. 

• 2 weeks later...
The Fabricator

How did you clean the throttle valve sensor? 

After you removed it from the motorcycle, did you take the sensor apart?

Dolomats
7 minutes ago, The Fabricator said:

How did you clean the throttle valve sensor? 

After you removed it from the motorcycle, did you take the sensor apart?

I just checked if nothing is broken or lose and blow on it and put it back

• 3 weeks later...
Dolomats

Hello Guys,

Thanks you all for you help, i m here to update you.

The problem was solved by the BMW dealer and it was BMW Throttle grip that was defective and they replaced it.

So now it s all Good

Thanks all, nice forum by the way.

Greetings.

• Like 3