IGNORED

Camhead or Hexhead for next bike

econoboxer

econoboxer

Looking at 2009 thru 2012 RT's.  2009, 16,000 miles, new tires, $6500, or 2012, 35,000 miles, $7500, or 2011, 17,000 miles, new tires, $8500.  All have similar equipment. I could use some hints one way or another.

econoboxer

The 2009 has bad tire pressure sensors.  Fuel strip works (for now).  All three are super clean.

dirtrider
6 minutes ago, econoboxer said:

Looking at 2009 thru 2012 RT's.  2009, 16,000 miles, new tires, $6500, or 2012, 35,000 miles, $7500, or 2011, 17,000 miles, new tires, $8500.  All have similar equipment. I could use some hints one way or another.

Afternoon   econoboxer

They are all pretty decent motorcycles. So condition & history are probably your best guide.

The 2009 should be checked for cracking throttle body cams before buying as that is somewhat likely to have started to happen. Can even happen on the camhead so probably not a bad idea to check those also.

szurszewski

Of that list, if all were in identical condition, I'd go 2012 and put the extra grand in the bank for ... whatever might come up. If the 2011 looked to be better kept than the 2012, that would be my second choice. The only way I'd pick the 2009 is if it looked much better than the newer less old bikes. 

• Plus 1 2
Darbarian

I doubt there is a bad choice in the lot.  Look and feel as much as you can, then trust your gut. Cared for any of them will  give you a hundred Iron Butt rides if you ask. 

MikeB60

There is a 2015 RT with 9000 miles for 10000 in the classifieds. I'd spend a little extra money for a much better bike.

Indy Dave
20 hours ago, dirtrider said:

The 2009 should be checked for cracking throttle body cams before buying as that is somewhat likely to have started to happen. Can even happen on the camhead so probably not a bad idea to check those also.

Seeing plenty of camhead's with cracking. You should figure on having this issue if you buy a hex or Cam head. I don't say that to deter you, but it is something you should just figure on fixing - sooner or later.

I LOVE my camhead, And I loved my hex head before it. You definitely can notice the wider torque band on the cam head motor. And I think the hex/cam head RT series of bikes are more attractive than the RT wethead series.  

But... As MikeB60 said, The WetHead is a much, much improved package. In my opinion, if you can swing the money, the wet head delivers improvements across the spectrum.

The newest cam head RT is now 14 years old. I'm a guy who still owns a car I bought in 1987, and I have a 2010 RT. So I'm not the guy who changes for change sake. I also have a 2016 GS. The wet Head package is far and away improved. Issue free? No. But none of them are.

You'll like whichever one you buy. Good luck!

Late to this thread but pretty much what Dave indicated.   I had a 2006 RT and a 2012 GSA and loved them both but the wet heads are just a better package.  And the 12K valve check intervals on the wet head was a decision maker for me.  I most always suggest to folks buy the newest model you can afford as they usually have improved. 

If you can afford $8500 you probably can afford a wet head. 

1 hour ago, Indy Dave said:

You definitely can notice the wider torque band on the cam head motor.

this^^^ plus the lighter weight, plus the better fuel sender.

1 hour ago, Indy Dave said:

And I think the hex/cam head RT series of bikes are more attractive than the RT wethead series.  

Me too!! 

• Plus 1 1

After six great years/145k miles on a 2007 Hexhead GSA, I moved to a 2014 Wethead GS. Many improvements on the Wethead, but some changes I didn't like (finicky gearbox, zero throttle freeplay which couldn't be adjusted, varying clutch engagement point). After 72k miles on it I went to a 2013 Camhead RT, and now after 14k miles with it I'm very happy with the decision. Only the Wethead's cruise control and extended valve clearance checks with no TB sync required were better to me. My Camhead is also a better bike than the Hexhead IMO.

Just providing more perspective for the OP; best thing is to ride them and decide what works best for you. 

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1
Indy Dave

Just to be clear, both the hex and cam head RT's were available with Cruise (GS /GSA's received cruise with the Wet Head).

Once thing I liked about the Hexhead was BMW's unique separate left and right thumb operated turn signals. With the left turn signal being on the left side, and the right turn signal being on the right side - you pushed the corresponding side with your thumb to operate the turn signal.

A significant difference I don't think has been mentioned, is the that the 2005-2006 hexhead bikes had servo brakes. While personally I kind of liked the servo brakes on my bike, the electronic servo module can fail if it has not been maintained. This is a very expensive part from BMW. Fortunately, nowadays, there are a few places that rebuild them, but depending on which version you have, there is a significant waiting period to get on the rebuild list. BMW's revised ABS design starting in 2007 was also quite a bit lighter without the servo module.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
dirtrider
30 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

BMW's revised ABS design starting in 2007 was also quite a bit lighter without the servo module.

Morning Dave

Just to make this a little clearer__ 

The 2007 up still uses a servo for the rear brake, it's the only (reasonable) way to get front/rear linking without using dual rear calipers (with separate inputs), or using a separate-piston / separate-input rear caliper. 

The 2007 up did eliminate one servo motor & pump (the front one) as the front is a direct apply with an accumulator & quick valving for ABS make-up fluid. It is a fair amount lighter. 

The 2007 up used the rear servo motor/pump for all linked rear braking from the front lever. The rear pedal / rear braking is direct from pedal to caliper (through the ABS module valving)  but that needs to override the front linking pressure to block the servo input before it can add it's own braking input. If no front lever used then the rear is direct by default. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Just to be clear, both the hex and cam head RT's were available with Cruise (GS /GSA's received cruise with the Wet Head).

Once thing I liked about the Hexhead was BMW's unique separate left and right thumb operated turn signals. With the left turn signal being on the left side, and the right turn signal being on the right side - you pushed the corresponding side with your thumb to operate the turn signal.

A significant difference I don't think has been mentioned, is the that the 2005-2006 hexhead bikes had servo brakes. While personally I kind of liked the servo brakes on my bike, the electronic servo module can fail if it has not been maintained. This is a very expensive part from BMW. Fortunately, nowadays, there are a few places that rebuild them, but depending on which version you have, there is a significant waiting period to get on the rebuild list. BMW's revised ABS design starting in 2007 was also quite a bit lighter without the servo module.

HA!   I thought I was the only one who was not pleased when BMW moved to the single turn signal switch.  The dual signal switches were truly built like a tank!  This was another reason I moved to a wet head GS after I bought my 2016 RT.  I preferred to have both bike with the same switch gear so that I did not have to readjust every time I switched bikes.   I also agree on the servo brakes.  My 2006 had the servo brakes and I actually liked them, once I got use to them.  But as noted you had to keep the system maintained well.  I never had an issue in the 40K miles I put on my '06 RT.   The other thing I did miss when I moved to the wet head was the large and very deep front side compartments.  I did not have a radio on the 2006 so both compartments were large and useful.   The wet heads have much smaller compartments that just about fit a smart phone. 

All this being said I would not go back to a pre-wethead.  There is just too much improvement in the wet heads.  Smoother shifting, shift assist, 12K valve checks, ability to use a variety of tank bags and not just the BMW bag, much improved flatter and wider seat (at 52K I am still running my stock seat with no issues),  LED lighting, just to name a few.  

But as always motorcycles are a very personal decision and folks should buy what puts the biggest smile on their face.   For me that smile resides in my 2016 RT. 

• Like 1
Indy Dave

Funny, I had a 2006 GS here with servo brake module issues. I was lucky and able to revive the module. The guy lives about 20 mi away, and I delivered his bike, and I was reminded how much I'd liked the separate left and right turn signals.

So much so, that I got my RT out for a test ride yesterday for the first time since last Fall, And although I delivered his bike a couple of weeks ago, my brain had already fell back into the separate left and right turn signal modes, and I hit the horn the first time I went to put on the left turn signal! To me those separate left and right thumb paddles for the turn signals were just very intuitive.

You bring it up, and it's kind of a small thing, but worth noting. Well still not without issues, the radio CD player on the hex and cam head models were not worth the investment in my opinion. My hexad had the CD player, and my cam had does not have the radio option, and I prefer having the large glove box to put junk in.

53 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

Funny, I had a 2006 GS here with servo brake module issues. I was lucky and able to revive the module. The guy lives about 20 mi away, and I delivered his bike, and I was reminded how much I'd liked the separate left and right turn signals.

So much so, that I got my RT out for a test ride yesterday for the first time since last Fall, And although I delivered his bike a couple of weeks ago, my brain had already fell back into the separate left and right turn signal modes, and I hit the horn the first time I went to put on the left turn signal! To me those separate left and right thumb paddles for the turn signals were just very intuitive.

You bring it up, and it's kind of a small thing, but worth noting. Well still not without issues, the radio CD player on the hex and cam head models were not worth the investment in my opinion. My hexad had the CD player, and my cam had does not have the radio option, and I prefer having the large glove box to put junk in.

Totally agree and the audio package on my wet head is the first one that is actually usable.  My 1997 RT and my 2005 F1200LT both had the audio systems and were pretty useless.  My '06 did not have the radio which was nice.  My 2016 wethead has the audio that works quite well and I enjoy my 345 song playlist on my iPod (yes and it still works!)  and the XM Radio.  I only tend to use it when on long solo trips and on those somewhat boring roads.  But it is nice to have and I can actually hear it through the bike speakers. 

• Like 1
szurszewski
3 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

This goes back before the hex head, and SOOOOOO many people bitch about it, but I also have a STRONG preference for it. 

• Like 2
econoboxer

The 2012 RT I'm looking at with 35k miles doesn't have ASC or ESA or the 'wonder wheel'. Is this much of an advantage or disadvantage? 

dirtrider
8 minutes ago, econoboxer said:

The 2012 RT I'm looking at with 35k miles doesn't have ASC or ESA or the 'wonder wheel'. Is this much of an advantage or disadvantage? 

Morning econoboxer

Depends, without them it is fewer expensive items to go wrong in the future. 

Personally, I never use ASC, the ESA can be a nice thing if you change motorcycle carried weights like with/without a passenger or added camping gear. The biggest benefit is with frequent heavy passengers or frequent added rear seat or pannier weight.

ESC is nice but on an older used BMW it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me personally. 

• Plus 1 1
29 minutes ago, econoboxer said:

I don't think you will miss any of those options.

ESA is nice, when it works.  My preload quit working at about 24K, and the only fix the dealer offered was a new rear strut for about $2K with no guarantee that it would correct the problem. I found a way to change the preload manually and used the strut until was worn out at about 40K.  For about $2K, I replaced both struts with Tractive shocks (without electric preload)  and have better handling than the ESA struts ever provided. 

• Plus 1 1
rockitcity

The wonder wheel only controls the audio system on the camheads and earlier, so if you don't have it, you don't have the radio either (no loss as far as I'm concerned, as I much prefer to listen to music and GPS directions on my Cardo).  I do like ESA though, and it makes a difference when carrying a passenger.  I usually ride in the "Comfort" setting unless I'm on a windy road (trying) to go fast. The 2012 seems to be the sweet spot in your search unless you can get a lower price on the lower mileage 2011.

Fleetguy

I'll be posting my 2011 R1200RT by noon tomorrow in the classifieds. I was doing pictures and compiling info on it today. It has 14,242 miles and has all options except TPMS from that model year. <2000 miles on new Michelin 6 GT tires. Location Cedar Rapids, IA. Pricing ...$7900.00. I'll provide VIN also...I got to get some sleep!

1-11R1200RT-stk-topcase.jpg

• Like 3