IGNORED

R1150RS saddlebags

sturmagedon_bunny

sturmagedon_bunny

I'm riding an '02 R1150RS, which has been an absolute joy so far. The bike didn't come with the side bags and I've been looking to get a pair for touring in the summer months, but unfortunately I can't find any info on what BMW cases will fit them and the required mounting hardware. I just tried to mount a case with the part number 4654-2317617 but the mounting points on my bike didn't seem appropriate for it. 

Could anyone here tell me what BMW saddlebags they use as well as if the hardware required for mounting them? I did see that the older R1100RS models had a hard point near the passenger foot rests for the case to slip onto, but those are absent on the R1150RS and I don't know if I need them. Any help and/or photos would be appreciated! Photo for reference of my bike. 

IMG_9148 2.jpg

IMG_9147.jpg

dirtrider
19 minutes ago, sturmagedon_bunny said:

I'm riding an '02 R1150RS, which has been an absolute joy so far. The bike didn't come with the side bags and I've been looking to get a pair for touring in the summer months, but unfortunately I can't find any info on what BMW cases will fit them and the required mounting hardware. I just tried to mount a case with the part number 4654-2317617 but the mounting points on my bike didn't seem appropriate for it. 

Could anyone here tell me what BMW saddlebags they use as well as if the hardware required for mounting them? I did see that the older R1100RS models had a hard point near the passenger foot rests for the case to slip onto, but those are absent on the R1150RS and I don't know if I need them. Any help and/or photos would be appreciated! Photo for reference of my bike. 

Evening sturmagedon_bunny

It looks from the picture like you have the correct case holders so all you probably need is the side cases & lock cylinders. 

1150RS side cases.jpeg

sturmagedon_bunny

Thanks Dirtrider, I appreciate the reply. Do you have any info on appropriate side cases for the R1150RS? I've been getting conflicting information on which ones are compatible. 

dirtrider
7 minutes ago, sturmagedon_bunny said:

Thanks Dirtrider, I appreciate the reply. Do you have any info on appropriate side cases for the R1150RS? I've been getting conflicting information on which ones are compatible. 

Evening sturmagedon_bunny

According to my parts book the ones posted above are correct. Problem is, they are no longer available from BMW.

You will probably need to check on E-Bay or post a wanted on the for-sale forum here. They should be the same as the 1150RT but verify first.  

If you know anybody with an 1150RT you might ask them if you can try their panniers on your motorcycle just to verify. 

The E-Bay listings usually list the side bags as fitting both the 1150RT/1150RS

sturmagedon_bunny

Thank you again Dirtrider, you've been a great help. I'll try to confirm if the RT bags will fit on the RS before searching for ones to buy, but it seems the previous set I was looking at wasn't compatible then. I'll also see if anyone else with a similar setup can comment to confirm, but this is a good lead for the time being. 

Miguel!

Where are you located? Might help identify others that can offer up their 1150RT sidecases to try out on your bike. Miguel

Redfoxx
On 3/10/2024 at 4:40 PM, sturmagedon_bunny said:

Thank you again Dirtrider, you've been a great help. I'll try to confirm if the RT bags will fit on the RS before searching for ones to buy, but it seems the previous set I was looking at wasn't compatible then. I'll also see if anyone else with a similar setup can comment to confirm, but this is a good lead for the time being. 

once we know where your from, I know someone that had 2002 RT for parts it had bags and trunk. 

Lowndes
On 3/10/2024 at 4:55 PM, sturmagedon_bunny said:

...I did see that the older R1100RS models had a hard point near the passenger foot rests for the case to slip onto, but those are absent on the R1150RS and I don't know if I need them. Any help and/or photos would be appreciated! Photo for reference of my bike. 

IMG_9148 2.jpg

IMG_9147.jpg

As Dirtrider said, it looks like you already have the mountings for the side cases on the bike.

The lower side-case mounts on your bike are just that small hard rectangular black plastic cap on the very rear end of the passenger footpeg mount.  When you find the right side cases they will have a slot in the bottom front corner  that "captures" this hard point to steady the cases on the bike.  Without this the cases would just hang from the top locking mount and swing in and out and damage that upper mount and/or the case.

image.png.dc176c633b6b31c841d495dc3f86b025.png

image.png.234686d18a4174159290f657b0798c03.png

The upper case mounts are there, too, built onto the black grab-rail/luggage rack.  The middle circle is a slot on the bottom of the rail that the locking finger on the side-case will capture and lock onto.  The front and rear mounts are a slot and a rail that solid fingers molded into the side-case sit on top of and capture.  These two fingers support the weight of the case and are prone to break with a tip-over onto a side-case.  There was a thread on a repair for that here somewhere.

image.png.82b8c914e4655e36adcd9194c46cc611.png

When you find the side-cases, you may not get a key to operate them.  I have a bunch of pics on how to re-key or un-key the lock cylinders.  It's not that hard to do but there are a few tricks.  I leave a spare key in one of my side-cases 100% of the time on each bike and it sure saves a lot of back and forth.  Never had a problem with someone messing with it either.

Keep searching for the right cases, you will eventually find them.  You may have to buy one at a time and they may not be pristine.  Look on Beemer Boneyard and leave your email in the "Out of Stock" note.  They will automatically send you an email when they get any in.  This DOES work but do not dilly dally when you get the email!!  They are expensive to ship, too. 

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/sidecases.html

image.thumb.png.a5eb550e076f4d8b8f238ecc7679b33a.png

I owned (sold) a 2004 R1150RT and the saddle bags were a perfect fit on my '93 R1100RSL.  This is  one reason I miss the '04RT.  I always thought that if I really needed new side cases for the RS I could buy new ones from BMW but surprise surprise.  So then I considered used bags and what I found were really used so I looked for after market and to date I haven't found any that don't involve straps that go over the passenger seat which wouldn't work so good in my case with the Russel Day Long seats.  Probably don't need bags anyway since my days of doing overnighters seem to be over due to my age and lack of interest but maybe a motel however anymore that's a really big maybe as well due to lack of interest.  Besides, the scenery doesn't get much better than where we live that being the Oregon coast. :)  If you don't believe that just pay a visit in a couple months when good old US101 is packed with traffic and very aggressive drivers from you know where. Grrrrrrrr.....  Hint:  South of here.

• Haha 1
duckhawk64

I have one of these that is oem for your bike for sale on this site. Not for that price though. 

Screenshot_20240312_195517_Gallery.jpg

sturmagedon_bunny

Hi all, sorry i've been absent a few days. I do have some good news to report: a gentlemen nearby sold me a pair of saddlebags that came from his previous touring bike (and surprisingly threw in a free R1150 touring windshield), which I successfully mounted. The part numbers are as follows:

4654-2316920

4654-2316919

16 hours ago, Lowndes said:

As Dirtrider said, it looks like you already have the mountings for the side cases on the bike.

The lower side-case mounts on your bike are just that small hard rectangular black plastic cap on the very rear end of the passenger footpeg mount.  When you find the right side cases they will have a slot in the bottom front corner  that "captures" this hard point to steady the cases on the bike.  Without this the cases would just hang from the top locking mount and swing in and out and damage that upper mount and/or the case.

Lowndes, thank you for the annotations on my photos- the mounting points were spot on. I thought I might've needed a different set of rear luggage racks as some of the reference racks I was looking at had an additional loop near the back to attach the case onto. I also didn't realize the rear passenger footpeg mount was an additional hard point for the case to mount too, it seemed too close to the luggage racks. Here's some photos of my R1150RS with the bags installed now (took these after a long night at work); thank you all for the help and information!

P.S- Lowndes, the cases did come with keys for the cylinders so thankfully that saves an additional expense, though I may eventually want to reset them to match my ignition key. Keeping a spare on the bike is a good idea, I'll do that. 

IMG_9890.jpg

IMG_9891.jpg

• Thanks 1
Lowndes

REALLY NICE!! 

And thanks for the pics.

The "city lids" look very sleek on that very sleek bike, too!!  THAT is a classic.  GORGEOUS.

What, if I may ask, is the make and model of that tail bag??  I can't make out anything on it.  Never seen one like it but I like it.

On the keys, I find it VERY MUCH easier to have that extra key for the bags, so it really doesn't make much difference if the ignition key is the same as the side case key.  Well,  except that you may then want to hide two (both type) keys on the bike.  One alternative is to take all the "sliders" out of the side case key cylinders, then any key, screwdriver, coin, fingernail clippers, etc, will unlock the cases.  No one knows this but you, looks just like key locks.  Unless I'm in a motel, the keys remain in the locks 100% of the time.  In a restaurant I'll just throw the gloves over the ignition key.  But, no no one is interested in my old bikes.  YOUR bike is worth not taking any chances.

The lock cylinder with the key installed:

image.thumb.png.a4afd26a15b3b1e84100884760011116.png

The same cylinder without the key showing the "sliders"

image.thumb.png.915bf6be8514526aeab26619af71408f.png

The two types of sliders:

image.thumb.png.12f1435a04029a7d4edac91e9a1f2ba8.png

The "home made" gem clip cylinder removal tool:

image.png.e7e388addcf280b90332f282f9099315.png

• Like 1
Redfoxx
4 hours ago, Lowndes said:

REALLY NICE!! 

And thanks for the pics.

The "city lids" look very sleek on that very sleek bike, too!!  THAT is a classic.  GORGEOUS.

What, if I may ask, is the make and model of that tail bag??  I can't make out anything on it.  Never seen one like it but I like it.

On the keys, I find it VERY MUCH easier to have that extra key for the bags, so it really doesn't make much difference if the ignition key is the same as the side case key.  Well,  except that you may then want to hide two (both type) keys on the bike.  One alternative is to take all the "sliders" out of the side case key cylinders, then any key, screwdriver, coin, fingernail clippers, etc, will unlock the cases.  No one knows this but you, looks just like key locks.  Unless I'm in a motel, the keys remain in the locks 100% of the time.  In a restaurant I'll just throw the gloves over the ignition key.  But, no no one is interested in my old bikes.  YOUR bike is worth not taking any chances.

The lock cylinder with the key installed:

image.thumb.png.a4afd26a15b3b1e84100884760011116.png

The same cylinder without the key showing the "sliders"

image.thumb.png.915bf6be8514526aeab26619af71408f.png

The two types of sliders:

image.thumb.png.12f1435a04029a7d4edac91e9a1f2ba8.png

The "home made" gem clip cylinder removal tool:

image.png.e7e388addcf280b90332f282f9099315.png

I have to replace my trunk orange indicator. I bought the BMW Kit, the instructions are ok, the images are with the german and no pictures with english. thinking it will be a cut and past.  It looks like a drill rivets and remove the lock, just dont have to mess with pins. Guessing you maybe an expert. 

Miguel!

1 hour ago, Redfoxx said:

I have to replace my trunk orange indicator. I bought the BMW Kit, the instructions are ok, the images are with the german and no pictures with english. thinking it will be a cut and past.  It looks like a drill rivets and remove the lock, just dont have to mess with pins. Guessing you maybe an expert. 

Please let us know how replacing the orange indicator goes, and pictures would help too. I need to replace that red orange locking tab on my top case and I suspect I may need to remove the rivets as well to do that but not sure. Thanks in advance! Miguel.

IMG_2175.thumb.jpeg.2b250ce1a26b0794d3e9833405b25951.jpeg

Redfoxx
6 hours ago, Miguel! said:

Please let us know how replacing the orange indicator goes, and pictures would help too. I need to replace that red orange locking tab on my top case and I suspect I may need to remove the rivets as well to do that but not sure. Thanks in advance! Miguel.

IMG_2175.thumb.jpeg.2b250ce1a26b0794d3e9833405b25951.jpeg

I got the factory BMW kit from Motorworks UK,  Mine is for top trunk also my tab look just about the same as yours. Kit provided all the rivets and parts.  Top case lock mechanism repair kit £33.50.  instructions say you need a 4mm drill bit, had to buy that also, didn't have any metric bits. I am hoping to work on it in the next week or two temps are supposed to drop I wont be riding. 

lock kit.jpg

sturmagedon_bunny
On 3/13/2024 at 10:38 AM, Lowndes said:

It's a Cortech Super 2.0 14L tail bag: it came with the bike along with the tank bag. You can expand the sides for extra space if needed and I keep it lashed down to the luggage rack with small bungie cords. It's handy, usually I carry a spare change of shoes in it as well as emergency tools/ extra light bulbs/ helmet lock cord. Here's a listing for one I found on ebay.

CORRECTION: The size is 24L, not 14L. I didn't check the exact size until today, my apologies. 

Interesting info on the bag locks, I may try to take a look at them this weekend if I can somehow macgyver the OEM cylinder removal tool you have :) .

Miguel!
2 hours ago, Redfoxx said:

Mine is for top trunk also my tab look just about the same as yours.

Mine is the top case as well so I’m looking forward to hearing and seeing how goes it goes. Thx Redfoxx

Lowndes
6 hours ago, sturmagedon_bunny said:

It's a Cortech Super 2.0 14L tail bag: it came with the bike along with the tank bag. You can expand the sides for extra space if needed and I keep it lashed down to the luggage rack with small bungie cords. It's handy, usually I carry a spare change of shoes in it as well as emergency tools/ extra light bulbs/ helmet lock cord. Here's a listing for one I found on ebay.

Interesting info on the bag locks, I may try to take a look at them this weekend if I can somehow macgyver the OEM cylinder removal tool you have :) .

THANKS for the info on the tail bag AND the link!!  GOT it and it's on the way.  Been wanting something just like that.  Never saw one before.

Sorry, I've not ever replaced the red flag part.  I have a broken one myself somewhere. And a replacement part that might be the correct side, too.  I do have a side case all apart in pieces that came with a '99 RT.

A little info on the key lock and the "tool":

I made "the tool" from a large (almost 2") "gem clip".  The foot needs to be about 5 to 5.5mm long.  Make the bend, then measure up 22.5mm and mark if with a sharpie, tape, or felt tip pen.  That will be the depth gage to the Keeper

sturmagedon_bunnTHANKS for the info AND link to the tail bag!!  Got it and it's on the 

image.thumb.png.b2d84fd92e130610d721fd5895af658c.png

There are 8 "sliders in the cyl,  1 thru 7, starting at the top, are what the key operate for the locking action.  #7 is missing (empty slot).  #8 slider is the"Keeper" that keeps the cyl from pulling out.  The key is not long enough to touch it. 

In the pic below, the key is inserted in the cyl and all (1-6) of the sliders are held inside the cyl so that the cyl can rotate to unlock the side case.  The lug on the bottom is what turns the linkage in the side case that locks/unlocks the latching linkage.

image.thumb.png.7f89711c55c304cd6ae4d6cb91407384.png

The #7 slider below is missing, don't know why .  The dark thing in the middle of the #7 slot is the tip of the key.  The 4 round holes down the left side are where the very tiny but mischievous coil springs live.  There are 4 in the other side, too.  The sliders alternate directions and the springs push the sliders the opposite direction - it's a two-sided key.  Without the key the sliders are pushed out by the springs so the cyl can't turn and unlock your dirty clothes.

image.thumb.png.4f1b23b76fd6a287dcfa609538cf30e6.png

This is the cyl with no key (that's my finger on the top).  Notice the notches on the end of each slider.  There are only three types/sizes of sliders (#1, 2 & 3) in the key lock, and the slightly different KEEPER, #8 (sticking out to keep the cyl in the lock).

image.thumb.png.f5cac5b43439ca4234c43bc74a03e8d3.png

What you have to do is use the "tool" to reach down in the cyl 22.5 mm and push that KEEPER part-way into the cyl.  When the keeper is pushed to the side just right you can lift out the cyl.  When you get down to 22.5 mm into the cyl that's where the KEEPER is.  With the side case on the bike and you standing facing the side case, you will need to push the Keeper towards the bike with the "tool".  It takes patience, persistence, and perseverance.  And it's fiddly.  When you release it you may feel it loosen up. Draw it out slowly and RESIST the urge to throw it.  Make notes on the number and location of each slider and keep up with the tiny freakin springs.  You will need to clean it thoroughly with the wife's toothbrush and WD-40.  Old grease, dust, and metal particles will be tough to get out.  Reassemble clean and dry and then spray with WD-40 PTFE DRY LUBE.  And spray the linkages inside, too thru the slots and gaps.  It will operate better than new.  You won't believe it.

This is the side case where the lock cyl stays, looking down into the stationary outer cyl.   The red part in the bottom is what the lock cyl turns when you turn the key.  The two slots at the top and bottom of the red part are where the sliders go when the key is not in the cyl.

image.thumb.png.84cd570f00665d336c41b6367ee3b41e.png

The Keeper is #4, and a size 3 slider:

image.png.0fa4cb46b1f068758a0a2191eaacde97.png

All the pics here:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/38jzUkW9spfCmnF77

• Like 1
Redfoxx
1 hour ago, Lowndes said:

THANKS for the info on the tail bag AND the link!!  GOT it and it's on the way.  Been wanting something just like that.  Never saw one before.

Sorry, I've not ever replaced the red flag part.  I have a broken one myself somewhere. And a replacement part that might be the correct side, too.  I do have a side case all apart in pieces that came with a '99 RT.

A little info on the key lock and the "tool":

I made "the tool" from a large (almost 2") "gem clip".  The foot needs to be about 5 to 5.5mm long.  Make the bend, then measure up 22.5mm and mark if with a sharpie, tape, or felt tip pen.  That will be the depth gage to the Keeper

sturmagedon_bunnTHANKS for the info AND link to the tail bag!!  Got it and it's on the 

image.thumb.png.b2d84fd92e130610d721fd5895af658c.png

There are 8 "sliders in the cyl,  1 thru 7, starting at the top, are what the key operate for the locking action.  #7 is missing (empty slot).  #8 slider is the"Keeper" that keeps the cyl from pulling out.  The key is not long enough to touch it. 

In the pic below, the key is inserted in the cyl and all (1-6) of the sliders are held inside the cyl so that the cyl can rotate to unlock the side case.  The lug on the bottom is what turns the linkage in the side case that locks/unlocks the latching linkage.

image.thumb.png.7f89711c55c304cd6ae4d6cb91407384.png

The #7 slider below is missing, don't know why .  The dark thing in the middle of the #7 slot is the tip of the key.  The 4 round holes down the left side are where the very tiny but mischievous coil springs live.  There are 4 in the other side, too.  The sliders alternate directions and the springs push the sliders the opposite direction - it's a two-sided key.  Without the key the sliders are pushed out by the springs so the cyl can't turn and unlock your dirty clothes.

image.thumb.png.4f1b23b76fd6a287dcfa609538cf30e6.png

This is the cyl with no key (that's my finger on the top).  Notice the notches on the end of each slider.  There are only three types/sizes of sliders (#1, 2 & 3) in the key lock, and the slightly different KEEPER, #8 (sticking out to keep the cyl in the lock).

image.thumb.png.f5cac5b43439ca4234c43bc74a03e8d3.png

What you have to do is use the "tool" to reach down in the cyl 22.5 mm and push that KEEPER part-way into the cyl.  When the keeper is pushed to the side just right you can lift out the cyl.  When you get down to 22.5 mm into the cyl that's where the KEEPER is.  With the side case on the bike and you standing facing the side case, you will need to push the Keeper towards the bike with the "tool".  It takes patience, persistence, and perseverance.  And it's fiddly.  When you release it you may feel it loosen up. Draw it out slowly and RESIST the urge to throw it.  Make notes on the number and location of each slider and keep up with the tiny freakin springs.  You will need to clean it thoroughly with the wife's toothbrush and WD-40.  Old grease, dust, and metal particles will be tough to get out.  Reassemble clean and dry and then spray with WD-40 PTFE DRY LUBE.  And spray the linkages inside, too thru the slots and gaps.  It will operate better than new.  You won't believe it.

This is the side case where the lock cyl stays, looking down into the stationary outer cyl.   The red part in the bottom is what the lock cyl turns when you turn the key.  The two slots at the top and bottom of the red part are where the sliders go when the key is not in the cyl.

image.thumb.png.84cd570f00665d336c41b6367ee3b41e.png

The Keeper is #4, and a size 3 slider:

image.png.0fa4cb46b1f068758a0a2191eaacde97.png

All the pics here:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/38jzUkW9spfCmnF77

motorworks UK sells a different repair kit for side bags. 

Lowndes

Found the pics of the Parts side case.  Looks like the lock cyl is pop riveted on the box frame, and the fame is riveted to the inside of the case.  AND that cyl has to come off to replace the orange tap/flag part.

image.thumb.png.08b2ca431016679560154423f23508cc.png

Bottom side.  Three rivets and a locating pin:

image.thumb.png.84eba94490f15739d4b26a933dec84b2.png

Kind of a side view:

image.png.dd862032bfaad04a9fce3d40f6059bab.png

Hope this helps.

All old pics here:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/VuC3KYajBXxf1tC1A

Redfoxx
1 hour ago, Lowndes said:

Found the pics of the Parts side case.  Looks like the lock cyl is pop riveted on the box frame, and the fame is riveted to the inside of the case.  AND that cyl has to come off to replace the orange tap/flag part.

image.thumb.png.08b2ca431016679560154423f23508cc.png

Bottom side.  Three rivets and a locating pin:

image.thumb.png.84eba94490f15739d4b26a933dec84b2.png

Kind of a side view:

image.png.dd862032bfaad04a9fce3d40f6059bab.png

Hope this helps.

All old pics here:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/VuC3KYajBXxf1tC1A

I have not dove into my top case yet, but weather is going to be nasty for a few weeks, so maybe dive into it. I will try to take some pictures of process. If I remember from instructions the outer black cover is just super glued back on to some pins.

• Like 1