IGNORED

09 R1200RT Top Case Latch & Dissasembly

Redman

I got all the screws out or I think so, ..... Oh, let me say that, it is important to keep track of which came from where, cuz some are bigger than others, and some are longer than others.....

IMG_0368a.thumb.JPG.6fc39b9f9c818cdfbf262c455e0cbc57.JPG

ANd I cant get the inner case loose from the outer case.

ANy body have any clue.

Are there glues blocks inbetween the inner and outer?? It really seems like something holding the two together yet on the very bottom of the case.

I dont have to take out the screws on the outside / backside that are under the big handle do I?? (but that is on the rear of the case, and it seems the inner and outer are attahcted on the bottom.).

I have tried various positions of the lock/release key and handle and lever... or maybe I am overlooking something.

SO  Problem/Question #1 is :  What need to do to get the inner apart from the outer??

Other situation:  Because the latch release was difficult to operate to latch or unlatch (even if lid still open), and I was concerned about the mechanism breaking. So Was several weeks ago I got one side case apart and saw the internal mechanism, and saw how the metal bands had to slide over plastic to operate the sliding locking pins that grab the latch on the lid. ANd it seemed about same design in the top case. So I tried to get the top case apart (and couldnt), but I sprayed in Dry Lube the best I could where I figured the metal bands had to slide along the plastic to move those latch pins. With little sucsess - then. 

And now weeks later, it seems the lube finally got to where it needs to be, because now the handle easliey moves/slides those latch pins. SO that is something of a sucsess.

But now have Problem #2: SOmehow in my unsecsessfull attemps at getting apart, I have missaligned something, so one of the sliding latch pin mecanism is out of place, and the lids latch doesnt fit into the slot.

IMG_0367c_cmt.thumb.jpg.67c2549095b9cd81219a3ebf4b3a2ccb.jpg

IMG_0365a.thumb.JPG.8b92320427c50a9a866707ecba362cbe.JPG

ANy words of wisdom??

Other Note: Looking in microfish, I dont find the top case in the "Faring" Section 46.
Is in the section 77 for "Options". Sheet 77_0123 Single Parts Top Case 49L

Fische77_0123TopCase49Lj.jpg.2d1e952e5bf8608ed7e8c7e5fd363d9a.jpg

And doesnt show the case inner and outer comming apart, and doesnt have any dissasemble PDF hidden anywere that I could find (like for the sidecases).

But, hey, look at those parts #4 "Rubber Buffer". Hum, wonder if they are held in place with adhesives......

So ... ?

Um....?

I'll poke around some more. But maybe someone has some applicable expereince.

IndyAndy

I took a top case apart last summer to rekey it.  Unfortunately I sold it later last year so I can’t honor to look at it.  However from what I remember, there are screws under the handle that secure it to the inner molding.  Have you removed these too?  

IndyAndy

Redman, one more thing, the way to inner and outer release from each other doesn’t involve any adhesive.  But because of the way the mechanism latches onto the motorcycle mount, the inner has to be lifted out by the handle point first and slightly rotated around the bottom latch.   The key to all of this is getting that handle unscrewed and taken out.  You’ll see a few small screw holes in #5 of the parts diagram you posted above.  These are the screws to look for under the handle.  

My memory is a little fuzzy but I believe two screws hold the handle to the frame and two more secure the geared part of the handle to the locking pin slide.  

dirtrider

Afternoon  Redman

Check your PM (personal Massages) on this site. 

3 hours ago, IndyAndy said:

Redman, one more thing, the way to inner and outer release from each other doesn’t involve any adhesive.  But because of the way the mechanism latches onto the motorcycle mount, the inner has to be lifted out by the handle point first and slightly rotated around the bottom latch.   The key to all of this is getting that handle unscrewed and taken out.  You’ll see a few small screw holes in #5 of the parts diagram you posted above.  These are the screws to look for under the handle.  

My memory is a little fuzzy but I believe two screws hold the handle to the frame and two more secure the geared part of the handle to the locking pin slide.  

Thanks IA,

Oh....!

Seemed to me that the handle is assocoated with the outter case, so NO is didnt take any screws from the outside handle area........ but apparently that is what needs to be done. Thanks.

THanks for sharing that info/experience.

Dave

On 3/10/2024 at 3:12 PM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon  Redman

Check your PM (personal Massages) on this site. 

Thanks. Thanks Mr DR ! !

HAve looked and have studied the info you provided.

Oh, so I took out too many screws inside the case, and didnt dissassemble the handle area.

Take out the screws on the bottom of the inside, and the two on back inside off to the side, but not the four in latch/handle area (must be that some of the mechanism stays on the inner case. I was thinking was all in/on the outer case).

But do remove handle mecanissm from the back... and apparently is some "threaded pins"  under the handle mechanism to be pushed back.
And THEN can lift inner case from the outer case, applying Mr IndyAndy's advice. 

OKAY, Thanks.
I will make another attempt at this.

OKAY.

Have got it apart (and did get back together, and does work well).

Here is my photo tutorial of how to get the top case apart to lube the sliding parts of the lid mechanism.

IMG_0402a_C.thumb.jpg.6ffcd021a442fe1f44378e89cccb825c.jpg

Note: All are T-25. THe ten on the bottom are the same. THe two on the back are for the lock key mechanism and different than the other then.

IMG_0404a_C.thumb.jpg.7e4817a6b52e83f4e0ac814c6aa824b4.jpg

Note: For the two nuts, you will need an 8mm wrench. Boxed end worked better for me than an open end.

FOr the two T-25 screws youll need either an t-25 screwdriver bent 90deg, or what I did was use a t-25 socket and turn it with a pair of plyers.

Note: Dont drop anything down that hole.

Noticing the dirt there under the handle(S), can think of air swirling around back there, and maybe thats how dirt gets inside and into the mecanism.....requiring this work.

• Thanks 1

IMG_0406a_C.thumb.jpg.3486dd9445c149003f5e61287e830871.jpg

NOTE; Geared rack on left is for the big handle that operates the case release from the bike. Geared rack in the middle is for the other lever that operates the case lid release.

Notice thier position relative to the handles poistion.

Also pull back on outer case so can look inside. Notice the case release mecanism, (cant see in picture) how it is captured/slides in an area of the inner case. It will come out of that area when seperate the cases, and needs to ge back in there.... so you need to see where it goes. (Ill try to point this out again on next pic, but cant see it there either.)

IMG_0407a_C.thumb.jpg.23bb622bc277b23610c22297fb6d3d7e.jpg

Note: White stuff you see slooped/dripping is from back when I could not get cases apart, and I sprayed in dry lube, but didnt really know where it needed to go.

Note: WHen do get the inner case out of the outer case. CAn also see the mechanism for operating the stuff on the bottom of the case to latch/release from the bike. ANd good opportunity to lube that also. But that is not purpose of my write up here.

• Thanks 1

IMG_0408a_C.thumb.jpg.507bc5db56e9b3b47ec56b0e67056c02.jpg

IMG_0537a_C.thumb.jpg.9a8ad5ba3c13e29f5f176a8d1059b3f5.jpg

Note: IS four places like this. ANd seems to me that the problem of the mecahnism operating hard (and maybe breaking the lever) is that al the area where the metal band needs to slide along the plastic gets fine dirt and looses its original lube. THe problem is not the Lock nor the other mechanism.
Previous discussion, all recomend using Dry Lube. I found a PB Blaster Dry Lube.

Other comment I have is that: once you know where the problem is, and where the lube needs to go  . . .  hey.... look.... most of that is accessable thru that slot... if operate the mechanism, can then present that opening so is accessable through that slot. . . . .

ANd so my recomendation is: DOnt take apart the case unless have to. If only problem is the mechanism operates hard, probably you can lube most of what needs to be lubed (after understand this better) without taking it apart.

But.yes, if do take apart, then can see what are doing, lube better and cleanup the area.

Reassembly : I didnt get pics.

• Thanks 2