IGNORED

Windshield tap and mirror question

Skywagon

Skywagon

I have two things I could use help with.  The windshield bolt in the lower left corner of this picture has been giving me fits everytime I take it off and need to put it back in.  I think (know) the threads are a bit buggered up.  I've used other bolts so the issue is in the female threads.  I want to retap it.  Does anyone know off the top their head the right tap for this?

Second...I have to tuck my mirrors in when I park in the garage.  Lately the right mirror won't stay tucked in, the spring snaps it back into place.  There was an adjustment to correct this on my old 1150, but I can't seem to find it on this R1200RT Wet.  Any ideas how to loosen it up some it will stay retracted?

Thanks.

IMG_5573.jpg

dirtrider
22 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

I have two things I could use help with.  The windshield bolt in the lower left corner of this picture has been giving me fits everytime I take it off and need to put it back in.  I think (know) the threads are a bit buggered up.  I've used other bolts so the issue is in the female threads.  I want to retap it.  Does anyone know off the top their head the right tap for this?

Second...I have to tuck my mirrors in when I park in the garage.  Lately the right mirror won't stay tucked in, the spring snaps it back into place.  There was an adjustment to correct this on my old 1150, but I can't seem to find it on this R1200RT Wet.  Any ideas how to loosen it up some it will stay retracted?

Thanks.

Evening David

The windshield screw should be a 5mm, the standard thread pitch on the metric 5mm is 0.8 so your tap should be 5 x .8 mm.

I can't help you on the mirror without having oner in front of me. 

Skywagon

Thanks DR for the tap info.  Just ordered from Amazon.  Will be here tomorrow.  Irwin for $6.50

Skywagon
5 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

I can't help you on the mirror without having oner in front of me.

On the old 1150, you popped the mirror off and there was a bolt that tensioned the spring if I remember correctly.  If it started retracting on it's own, you could loosed the bolt a half turn or so and it would fix the problem.  I can't see anything like that on my 1200 without doing some major disassembly... I'll figure it out next time I get bored.

TSConver
23 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Thanks DR for the tap info.  Just ordered from Amazon.  Will be here tomorrow.  Irwin for $6.50

Hope you got a bottoming tap not a standard tap as those holes are blind I think.

Boxflyer

@Skywagon

I can tap and install the proper thread insert for you at the UN if you want to wait that long.  This allows you to reuse the correct original hardware to fasten on your windshield.

This is something I do to ALL of the windshield screws on the previous 3 RT's that I've owned.

Brad

• Like 2
Skywagon

Thanks Brad....I might do that.  TS....I always use a toothpick or something to find bottom, then measure it on the drill or tap and then put a collar on so I don't tap the windshield and end up in the gas tank.

TSConver
13 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Thanks Brad....I might do that.  TS....I always use a toothpick or something to find bottom, then measure it on the drill or tap and then put a collar on so I don't tap the windshield and end up in the gas tank.

They are blind so a normal trap will not get very far. You need a tap called a bottoming tap that is designed to tap to the bottom of a blind hole.

• Like 1
Skywagon
8 hours ago, TSConver said:

bottoming tap

Thanks TS… I did order a bottom tap vs pointy one. I still put a measured collar on them as secondary caution; not needed I know. 

• 2 weeks later...
Skywagon

Tapped the hole and all is well

Mirror...easy peasy.  Problem was mirror would not stay folded in.  It would pop back out.  Had the same problem on my old 1150.  If you have this problem on the 1200RT Wet, fold the mirror in, and hit the back of the plastic and it will come off.  That will expose the bolt/spring/nut.  Loosen the 13mm nut ever so slightly until the mirror will stay folded in; reinstall back of mirror.

The problem is if you retract your mirrors a lot ( I do to park in garage) then the way it is designed the nut will tighten over time applying more spring pressure.  You have to relieve that spring pressure.  Takes 90 seconds.