IGNORED

API SL vs SP engine oil

dmsantam

dmsantam

I hate to start an oil thread... but here goes. I understand the Jaso MA2 and 5w40 viscosity requirements, and don't want to deviate from that. 

But, the manual also specifies API SL rated engine oil and I want to specifically ask about that rating. According to API institute, API levels are backward compatible. And many aftermarket manufacturers recommend a 5w40 Jaso MA2 API SP rated engine oil. 

Is there any reason to NOT use a SP rated engine oil in the wethead? I can still get SL rated oil locally in the Castrol brand, but it's harder to find, and more expensive. 

cheers

Can I use SP oil instead of SL? (Kendall oil website.)

API SP will be fully backward-compatible with previous API service categories, including API SN PLUS, SN, SM, SL or SJ.May 1, 2020
Dave_in_TX

Since the API SL rating is now considered obsolete, SL rated oil is going to become very difficult to find. Even the BMW branded Advantec carries a later rating.

dirtrider
6 hours ago, dmsantam said:

I hate to start an oil thread... but here goes. I understand the Jaso MA2 and 5w40 viscosity requirements, and don't want to deviate from that. 

But, the manual also specifies API SL rated engine oil and I want to specifically ask about that rating. According to API institute, API levels are backward compatible. And many aftermarket manufacturers recommend a 5w40 Jaso MA2 API SP rated engine oil. 

Is there any reason to NOT use a SP rated engine oil in the wethead? I can still get SL rated oil locally in the Castrol brand, but it's harder to find, and more expensive. 

cheers

Morning dmsantam

As stated above, in most cases the SP is backwards compatible with previous  API SL or SN rated motor oils. (this is typically based on automotive usage) 

But when it comes to non-automotive usage (like motorcycles & lawn equipment,etc) that isn't always the case. 

In some outlier cases a new oil rating gives you something that BMW might not approve of, or possibly the newly rated (changed) oil might not contain enough of something your engine needs. 

If your motorcycle is still under BMW warranty then my suggestion is to see if BMW has approved the usage of an SP rated oil in your motorcycle. 

I can't answer your question directly as I have no history or research on the SP rated oil being OK to use in BMW motorcycles. 

Just look back in the old SG/SH API rating era, when SJ came out it was also backwards compatible with the SG/SH rated oils (for automotive usage) but it proved to be not so as BMW published a service bulletin to not use SJ oil due to not enough wear protection for BMW motorcycle engines. There was also some cam lobe wear issues that showed up in non-roller-lifter heavy valve spring automotive engines. 

Just because API says it is backwards compatible doesn't always mean it is as good (for certain things, or certain areas)  as what it is replacing. 

With BMW boxer engines already having some cam wear/cam follower wear issues personally I wouldn't be in a hurry to switch until BMW has fully vetted it. 

It might very well be as good or even better than the SL or SN oil's that it is replacing. But then again it might not be. We need beta testers so sign up early!

dmsantam

Thanks for the detailed reply DR. I am worried because the DLC on the followers are known to flake off, and cause cam damage - i am currently repairing my dad's bike with this issue. 

I can't help wondering if the use of SP rated oil has any impact on this. I think I will stick to SL rated to be on the safe side. 

Dave_in_TX

The BMW Advantec 5w40 is now API SN so at least, SN should be OK.

MikeB60
5 hours ago, dmsantam said:

Thanks for the detailed reply DR. I am worried because the DLC on the followers are known to flake off, and cause cam damage - i am currently repairing my dad's bike with this issue. 

I can't help wondering if the use of SP rated oil has any impact on this. I think I will stick to SL rated to be on the safe side. 

If the use of SP rated oil was the culprit the follower issue would be far more prevalent. 

A JASO MA2 rating would be perfectly fine for our bikes if they didn't have a cat IMO. But the API rating is needed to protect the cat(s), some might say unfortunately. Ha ha. But like somebody else said, I wouldn't blame the oil for the cam/follower issues, although some say leaving it longer than 3K miles might contribute to that problem. But still, it's not the oil's problem if most other bikes wouldn't have an issue with 5K-mile OCIs.