IGNORED

TCX Infinity 3 Mid Waterproof Boots Review

MotoNews

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

waterproof-boots-review-by-carl-parker

Like tires for our feet, adventure boots have just as much range and variety as the rubber we put on our wheels. While skilled technical riders lean towards heavy off-road boots for maximum protection, not everyone wants or needs the weight and complexity of hinged, full plastic frames.

Sometimes you just want a set of comfortable boots you can grab, slip on, and be on your way without having to go through buckle rituals and walking around like Master Chief from Halo.

TCX Infinity 3 Mid Waterproof Boots Body Image 3

TCX’s Infinity 3 Mid waterproof boots are built for someone who wants a sturdy, no-fuss, waterproof boot for touring, commuting, and gravel surfing. They’re easy to live with, starting with the convenient BOA-style closure.

This design solves many problems with laces, buckles, and straps by using a small ratcheting wheel to tighten the metal tensioning cable built into the tongue. Both of my favorite REV’IT! and KLIM boots use these systems to great benefit.

Their biggest benefit is they are extremely simple to use. Twist them one way to tighten the boot and, in this case with the ATOP system, rotate them the other way to release the cable. I started using these systems with some skepticism, thinking dust and dirt would eventually jam things up, but haven’t had any issues so far.

TCX Infinity 3 Mid Waterproof Boots Body Image 1

Moreover, when you’re off the bike, loosening your boot to allow your feet to breathe is simply a twist away. Then, when you’re ready to ride, tighten it up, and you’re ready to go.

My size 10.5 U.S. (45 Euro) feet are medium width, and the flatter profile of the Infinity 3 feels roomy even with thicker socks. The material quickly breaks in for comfortable walking. Some heavier-duty boots have rather large toe boxes and can make gear changes clunky unless you adjust your shift lever, but that’s not a problem with the Infinity 3s.

With long pants they look like normal boots and shouldn’t draw much attention.

If you plan to live in your boots, the soles and lug pattern are also important. TCX uses “Groundtrax” rubber, which is sticky, but there’s a considerable taper from the outer edge of the boot to the tread, making for a smaller footprint. This may make it less likely to snag your feet on pegs, but I would prefer a footprint more like those found on their CLIMATREK Surround GTX line.

TCX Infinity 3 Mid Waterproof Boots Body Image 4

Protection-wise, the Infinity 3 Mid boots come with some heel, toe, ankle, and shin protection, but if you need something that will stop an R1250GS cylinder head from crushing your stompers, then look for a heavier, more rigid boot. Having been in some short stints of heavy rain and creek crossings, the “T-Dry” membrane construction has kept my feet dry.

Because of all this, I find myself often reaching for the Infinity 3s. Whether touring, on day rides, or bumming around town, the convenience, comfort, weight, and weather protection of TCX’s Infinity 3 Mid boots make them worth checking out for a wide range of street and dual-sport riders.

TCX Infinity 3 Mid Waterproof Boots Body Image 2

Colors: Black, Military Green (shown)

TCXBoots.com

MSRP: $329.99

Where to Buy:

Amazon btn

PROS:

• Comfortable all-day wear
  • Fast and friendly ATOP ratchet tension system
  • Discreet style under boot-cut pants or riding jeans
  • Waterproof so far

CONS: