IGNORED

Turn Signal Beeper

gmcjetpilot

gmcjetpilot

Well I did it. Left the blinker on again. My GPS blocks signal indicator. I had a choice pit LED in mirror (which I see) or beeper. Amazon $9 for 2. Some stuff I had done. See next post as well.

gmcjetpilot

Some pics. Works well. With helmet and plugs can hear it. In garage no hearing protection not too annoying. Took uran hour. PS not shown is 3M double sided tape. There is  metal bracket and pocket inside fairing perfect spot. It seems like it was made to support the buzzer. 

EDIT: GPS & Road Test Results:

1) Why don't you move GPS higher? I did. It is now s high as I want. I'm moving it back DOWN under FARKLE shelf for better visibility w/ shade from sun and protection from weather.

2) Road test proves this was so well worth it.

Rode Test - R1150RT, Stock Exhaust, Ear Plugs, Full coverage modular helmet:

• Under 55 can hear beeper and below that it is not obnoxious. I now turn signal off promptly. LOVE IT! 
  • At 55 windscreen lowest position - helmet visor down locked,  beeps start to be become less discernible.
  • Above 65-70 mph - windscreen 1/3 up (top eye level, less wind buffet)- helmet visor open one click (ride this way 90% of time) beeps are less discernible
  • Wind screen height position and if helmet visor is open and closed makes a big difference. 

Pretty much perfect. Now when I go on group rides I don't have to hear about how my blinker was on for 2 miles.  I will take $*%# about my signal beeper any day.. That is OK, because I know they're just jealous. Ha ha. 

20240303_104306.jpg

20240303_105427.jpg

duckbubbles

Just curious.  Your self canceller does not work?

Frank

Paul De

For sure a nice inexpensive solution to one shortcoming of  the Oilhead model.  

I solved the same forgotten turn signal issue by installing the Signalminder farkle on my ‘99 R1100RT. Installed it more than a decade ago and it still works flawlessly.  Although it is  a 10x cost solution to your beeper solution, it saves on assembly and install time as it is truly a plug and play accessory.  I like that It allows for a couple of auto off times and I picked the shortest 7 second interval  to cancel the signal as I also connected the optional wire that connects to your brake light circuit.  I connected that wire at the tail light module’s brake light circuit wire at the spring connector and ran it back to the SM-5’s spade connector which meant no cutting into the bikes wire harness (loom for the English speakers amount us).  That wire when energized by the bikes brake light suspends the cancel timer so at a stop light the indicator keeps on flashing. You can skip that added step and set the cancel time much longer and make the install a ten minute job including programming time. A nice second  capability is the option to have your turn signals remain illuminated to function as running lights for improved visibility.

image.jpeg.2686840f19a775de6d2d4903f41a36e6.jpeg

gmcjetpilot
9 hours ago, duckbubbles said:

Just curious.  Your self canceller does not work?

Frank

Does not exist on a 2004. 

gmcjetpilot
8 hours ago, Paul De said:

For sure a nice inexpensive solution to one shortcoming of  the Oilhead model.  

I solved the same forgotten turn signal issue by installing the Signalminder farkle on my ‘99 R1100RT. Installed it more than a decade ago and it still works flawlessly.  Although it is  a 10x cost solution to your beeper solution, it saves on assembly and install time as it is truly a plug and play accessory.  I like that It allows for a couple of auto off times and I picked the shortest 7 second interval  to cancel the signal as I also connected the optional wire that connects to your brake light circuit.  I connected that wire at the tail light module’s brake light circuit wire at the spring connector and ran it back to the SM-5’s spade connector which meant no cutting into the bikes wire harness (loom for the English speakers amount us).  That wire when energized by the bikes brake light suspends the cancel timer so at a stop light the indicator keeps on flashing. You can skip that added step and set the cancel time much longer and make the install a ten minute job including programming time. A nice second  capability is the option to have your turn signals remain illuminated to function as running lights for improved visibility.

image.jpeg.2686840f19a775de6d2d4903f41a36e6.jpeg

Cool 😎 . I'm a yank and know what wire loom is 👍.  Ha ha. I think I still prefer the beeper ( except for the crap my riding buddies might give me ). The adjustable times on your magic module is nice, but has limits. Beeper is not noticeable above 70 mph.

It's not about money as much as what works for me. I may be assuming 🤔  too much but beeping may make other drivers aware. Not counting on it. But main thing is I'm aware. Two short medium rides it works and cancelied every signal promptly.

If it turns out (pun iintended), I change my mind, turn my opinion around (see what I did), I'll buy that fancy module. Great tip. Cheers.

tvpierce

Nice work.  I made a similar beeper a decade ago for my '96.  I used a single beeper wired to both signal lights with an inline diode on each to prevent back feeding.  I won't own another bike without one.