IGNORED

Hornig blind spot mirrors?

Scotto336

Scotto336

Has anyone tried these?  They look interesting but are crazy expensive to ship one to US (60 euros).  Expensive experiment so looking for feedback from anyone who has tied them.

Thanks!

dirtrider
15 minutes ago, Scotto336 said:

Has anyone tried these?  They look interesting but are crazy expensive to ship one to US (60 euros).  Expensive experiment so looking for feedback from anyone who has tied them.

Thanks!

Afternoon  Scotto336

I just use the factory installed blind spot mirrors. 

That is, I mount conventional motorcycle mirrors on the handlebars then tilt the factory fairing mirrors out to cover the blind spots.

That gives me the best of views as the handlebar mounted mirrors are more in my riding line-of-sight & the tilted-out fairing mirrors do a great job of covering the close in blind spots.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon  Scotto336

I just use the factory installed blind spot mirrors. 

That is, I mount conventional motorcycle mirrors on the handlebars then tilt the factory fairing mirrors out to cover the blind spots.

That gives me the best of views as the handlebar mounted mirrors are more in my riding line-of-sight & the tilted-out fairing mirrors do a great job of covering the close in blind spots.

That is what I have done on all my RT’s and it helps when carrying a passenger or camping gear on the back seat. 

dirtrider
1 hour ago, Scotto336 said:

Thanks guys!  any particular mounts and mirrors?

Afternoon  Scotto336

The wethead is different than previous models. 

Personally I would look into using wethead 1200GS  mirrors & mirror mounts.

Or at least use the 1200GS mirror mounts the find aftermarket mirrors that screw into the 1200GS mirror mounts. 

I believe the GS mirror mounts are L/H thread so you might also need the 1200GS mirror adapters. (or find L/H thread mirrors)

Mirror mounts.JPG

• Like 1
Scotto336

Thanks D.R.,  I'll check those out.  I do have the aux light switch on the left.  I see that Wunderlich also has mounts that will accommodate the switch.   

On my 2018 RT I used standard BMW GS mirrors for the R1200GS WetHead with the clamps for them. I also installed some offset brackets from SW to get the mirrors to clear the windshield when it is all the way down. When I moved those mirrors to the 2023RT,

I think the clamps are a lot cheaper from your BMW dealer than from Wunderlich.

For the left side you need #32728534366 clamp with switch for fog light..

For the right side you need #32728532971 for a clamp with out switch.

For the SW mirror offsets I bought a set of 

Mirror Extension
For the mirror thread. Max extension: 40mm Aluminum. Black.
Art. No.: SVL.00.503.11600/B
From SW Motech.

IMG_8495.thumb.jpeg.0d288843b02b577b89cae249c6dde4cb.jpegIMG_8497.thumb.jpeg.38bf444c477c766b25f694d2dd0463dd.jpegIMG_8500.thumb.jpeg.4c650a0acb117fa8e87b89ec527e795f.jpegIMG_8502.thumb.jpeg.7f59790922d1d009d3679bdc22f7fd68.jpeg
Scotto336

Thanks Bernie, that looks great!  I'll go with that.

Scott

• Like 1
Scotto336

Just FYI, I got the clamps at my local BMW dealer.  They were the same price as Wunderlich.  In case you are wondering how tight to torque them, it's 8 Nm.  No need to write that down :classic_rolleyes:

Paul De

This has done the trick on both my Oilhead and Wethead.  Inexpensive rectangular mini convex spot mirrors placed right where your OEM mirrors are uselessly showing the handle bar and your arm. Got them either on line or at a chain auto parts store, prolly under $15 these days.   The one caution is to pick ones with an invisible or near invisible margin as some are so thick they compromise the usefulness of the spot mirror.

image.thumb.jpeg.dad4116cbd00a1f4378cbc5cc0f3bbc9.jpeg

• Like 1
Lowndes

I kinda favor the little round "fish eye" mirrors.  Once you get used to them you don't feel safe without.  When I was traveling a lot, I'd carry some to put on rental cars.  Absolutely necessary changing lanes

They are usually on a slight wedge base and rotate so you can adjust the angle after they are stuck on the mirror.  I like a rather small blind-spot mirror so that there is more of the flat mirror to see the traffic farther back.  They are about $2 a pair at wally world and higher at the auto parts places.

Can you count 5 in this pic??

image.thumb.png.4bca68bee278282f90be3bfc4cb17d60.png

Cages, too.  But the left one's gotta go.  Waiting on warm weather to get the thing unstuck.

image.png.d186cc8ebeb3ad10f72a2db64a07a504.png

• Like 2