IGNORED

10 K1300S brake failure light

chas1169

chas1169

Hello.  I have a 2010 K1300S.  The brake failure light flashes like usual upon start up, but then remains on.  On occasion the light goes out once in motion only to come on solid after approximately 5 to 10 miles.  There are no other warning lights.  My local BMW dealer says it's  most likely the abs module which is I guess $1900 just for the module.  I'm  just looking for anyone who has had this specific issue that could have been an abs sensor problem and not the abs module.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

dirtrider
1 hour ago, chas1169 said:

Hello.  I have a 2010 K1300S.  The brake failure light flashes like usual upon start up, but then remains on.  On occasion the light goes out once in motion only to come on solid after approximately 5 to 10 miles.  There are no other warning lights.  My local BMW dealer says it's  most likely the abs module which is I guess $1900 just for the module.  I'm  just looking for anyone who has had this specific issue that could have been an abs sensor problem and not the abs module.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Morning chas1169

Sure, it could be a sensor issue. Possibly a wheel speed sensor, or an internal pressure sensor, or even a sticking servo motor brush. 

You probably need to get a GS-911 or possibly even a MotoScan on that motorcycle to view the stored fault codes. 

Once you have a valid fault code, or codes, you then have a diagnostic path to follow. 

chas1169

Thank you for the detailed response with possible issues, and for the types of scan tools for the diagnostic test.  I appreciate your insight.

dirtrider
16 minutes ago, chas1169 said:

Thank you for the detailed response with possible issues, and for the types of scan tools for the diagnostic test.  I appreciate your insight.

Afternoon  chas1169

One quick thought, if a front tire was recently changed before the problem showed up look closely at the wire pigtail going to the front wheel sensor. Sometimes the tire change allows the pigtail wire to contact the brake rotor then wearing a spot through to the internal wires.  

chas1169

Hello dirt rider.  I will check front pig tail.  I've  had this issue for over a year.  I have 32k miles on it and just had second set of tires installed a week ago. Last set was at approx. 26k and thinking the light came on not long after that set were put on.  I'm  sure hoping it is something fairly simple and not too costly as I'd  like to trade for possibly an S1000XR or R1250RS.  Thanks again for all your help.

Lowndes

Chas1169,

I'm very glad you posted about this.  I have a very similar problem on an '09 K1300S front brake.  Could we have similar problems??

It has acted up spasmodically over the the last 6 months, but just the function of the brake system, don't know about the warning lights, I never have time to look at them.  It seems more like air in the system but it is spasmotic.  One day it's fine, the next weekend it's not.  Sometimes during a ride the lever will go all the way to the grip with little braking action.  Pumping the lever doesn't seem to help much. 

The first time it happened I opened the (handle bar) reservoir and the fluid had turned to foam, and this was several hours after the ride.  Yesterday it would come and go which sometimes led to a "Oh my goodness gracious" moment and a firm resolve to get it sorted.  

The only thing I can think of that might cause symptoms like this would be a leaking seal (master or slave cylinders) that is allowing air into the system but not leaking fluid.  Is air being sucked into the system during a braking cycle, or is air somehow being forced into the system (between seals in the master cyl) and either way then being expelled into the reservoir??  Could it be in the ABS module/pump??  If air is getting into the system, how is it getting out??  

I did not notice a pressure release when opening the reservoir.  It did not show any appreciable loss of fluid - it was not low after the foam dissipated while I was standing around just looking at it wondering wtf is going on here.

Could the pads be worn to the point that a slave cyl seal is traveling over a worn or corroded spot on a piston??

Any ideas??

dirtrider
1 hour ago, Lowndes said:

Chas1169,

I'm very glad you posted about this.  I have a very similar problem on an '09 K1300S front brake.  Could we have similar problems??

It has acted up spasmodically over the the last 6 months, but just the function of the brake system, don't know about the warning lights, I never have time to look at them.  It seems more like air in the system but it is spasmotic.  One day it's fine, the next weekend it's not.  Sometimes during a ride the lever will go all the way to the grip with little braking action.  Pumping the lever doesn't seem to help much. 

The first time it happened I opened the (handle bar) reservoir and the fluid had turned to foam, and this was several hours after the ride.  Yesterday it would come and go which sometimes led to a "Oh my goodness gracious" moment and a firm resolve to get it sorted.  

The only thing I can think of that might cause symptoms like this would be a leaking seal (master or slave cylinders) that is allowing air into the system but not leaking fluid.  Is air being sucked into the system during a braking cycle, or is air somehow being forced into the system (between seals in the master cyl) and either way then being expelled into the reservoir??  Could it be in the ABS module/pump??  If air is getting into the system, how is it getting out??  

I did not notice a pressure release when opening the reservoir.  It did not show any appreciable loss of fluid - it was not low after the foam dissipated while I was standing around just looking at it wondering wtf is going on here.

Could the pads be worn to the point that a slave cyl seal is traveling over a worn or corroded spot on a piston??

Any ideas??

Morning  Lowndes

You really need to see what your dash lights are showing. Air in the system usually doesn't light the warning light.

If air is getting into the system. BUT getting back out, then it usually is in the master cylinder area. Typically air gets in from the master cylinder piston cup relaxing.

The air that gets in at the  piston seal will usually work it's way up & out through the take-up port hole in the bottom of the reservoir. 

• Thanks 1