IGNORED

2012 BMW G 650 GS Sertao - IGN OFF Error Message

Ron Pike

Ron Pike

I have a 2012 BMW G 650 GS Sertao and after a slight crash I now have a IGN OFF Error Message on my display. The bike still starts, but the display only shows the message "IGN OFF" and nothing else. The lights on the right side of the speedometer are off. I checked battery (has 12 V) and the cabling on the display and all seems fine.

Any clues to solve this mystery are appreciated!

Edited by Ron Pike
dirtrider
12 hours ago, Ron Pike said:

I have a 2012 BMW G 650 GS Sertao and after a slight crash I now have a IGN OFF Error Message on my display. The bike still starts, but the display only shows the message "IGN OFF" and nothing else. The lights on the right side of the speedometer are off. I checked battery (has 12 V) and the cabling on the display and all seems fine.

Any clues to solve this mystery are appreciated!

Morning Ron

They usually don't start with that "IGN OFF" showing. Seeing as your motorcycle starts that that complicates finding it. 

That "IGN OFF" can be displayed for a number of reasons from poor wire connections to a problem in the ignition switch, to ???????????. 

Most times it is caused by a loose battery cable so check those first. 

If the battery cables are tight then try a battery cable disconnect for about 20 minutes then re-connect & see if the  "IGN OFF" has cleared or is gone. 

Another thing to try is to try turning the kill switch off then turn the ignition switch to ON, then turn the kill switch back on again. (try this a few times)

Same with the side stand, try putting that up & down as you turn the ignition switch off & on as well turn the kill switch off & on. 

Also see if your headlight is working OK. IF not then get that working. 

Otherwise, that can be a difficult fault to find. 

Ron Pike

Thank you for your feedback!! Let me work on this today and I will let you know , how it went.

Ron Pike

I tried the simple checks and steps, but it didn’t fix it. Next is to check the ignition, but that requires quite some disassembly. A project for next weekend.