IGNORED

YSS Suspension

JamesW

Probably won't see many responses but I'll ask:  Has anyone replaced the stock suspension (shocks) on an R1100RS with a fully adjustable shock that requires pre load setting such as that found on a YSS shock and if so how did you manage pre load adjustment.  I find it cumbersome to have to remove the shock in order to adjust preload which you must do because of the way the upper shock mounts are configured for both front and rear shocks.  In disgust I just set the front and rear preload adjustments in 4 complete turns from the point of no load on the shock springs.  Haven't taken a test ride yet due to bad weather.  Point of no load on shock springs I considered to be the point where pre load adjuster just very lightly begins to compress the springs.

King Herald

I’ve fitted a pair of Hagon shocks to mine, and they came pre-set, to the average bike user. I should have told them that I only ever ride solo and can they fit suitable springs, because they are now far too stiff to be comfortable with just me aboard. 

Same with the YSS, my shocks have to be taken off the bike to have preload adjusted, seat off, brake caliper off, wheel out……

I’ve backed the rear spring off two full turns, but all that really does is lower the ride height a touch, the spring is still as stiff. 

My only choice is sending them back to have softer springs fitted. They told me I can remove the spring and change it myself, but it can’t be done, even with the collets removed the spring won’t fit over the end of the shock, on the rear unit. 

Lowndes

I purchased a set of Wilbur units from Ted Porter for my '99 R1100S about 5 years ago.  I couldn't be happier, in fact I got a second pair for the '00 K1200S.  Ted set them up for my weight and riding after asking a hundred questions.  I have never felt the need to adjust either set, front or rear.

GOOD suspension on a motorcycle is kinda like GOOD beer;  once you've tried it you know the difference and can't go back.  Before I got the Wilbur units if the bike had springs it was good enough for me.  It's a safety thing for me now more than anything else.  Keeping tires in contact with the pavement, not being bounced all over the road, and being very comfortable and "solid " with the bike lets you think about other things like the regular hazards of riding.

• Like 3
Oldrider51
16 hours ago, JamesW said:

Probably won't see many responses but I'll ask:  Has anyone replaced the stock suspension (shocks) on an R1100RS with a fully adjustable shock that requires pre load setting such as that found on a YSS shock and if so how did you manage pre load adjustment.  I find it cumbersome to have to remove the shock in order to adjust preload which you must do because of the way the upper shock mounts are configured for both front and rear shocks.  In disgust I just set the front and rear preload adjustments in 4 complete turns from the point of no load on the shock springs.  Haven't taken a test ride yet due to bad weather.  Point of no load on shock springs I considered to be the point where pre load adjuster just very lightly begins to compress the springs.

I would suggest that you contact Ted Porter at the beemershop.com and discuss with him. I don't know from what place you purchased the YSS shocks, but he handles them so I am sure he can help. 

• Plus 1 1

Thanks so much for the suggestions.  Glad to see I'm not alone.  Yes, I did buy my YSS shocks from Ted Porter and have talked to them.  They told me what their shipped settings are and the length of the shock springs under no load off the bike.  4 turns on the pre load adjuster ends up with the springs under no load being 10 mm longer than their suggested length so I should maybe end up with a somewhat softer ride which maybe will be OK since soft is what I want just not too soft,  Will find out if the rain ever eases off.  Ted Porter's Beemer Shop is okey dokey for sure.

I should complain about our weather what with the Sierras expecting 12 feet of snow and blizzard conditions.  Seems they have had wind gusts at 145 mph, unbelievable!  We got a pretty good snow pack in the Cascades just hope it stays awhile into spring.  Sorry for another off topic.

Thanks again.

• Like 1
81delorean

I was curious about the YSS shocks also. Looks like my ESA is shot, I don't really need to replace with anything electronic since I always ride by myself and only take one loaded down bike trip a year. 

As for the weather, it's going to be 74 and sunny here. Keep the blizzard to yourself! 

• Haha 1

I hear that.  Electronic this and that is the main reason I shy away from new tech be it with motorcycles or cars for that matter.  I do wish the top shock mounts on the R1100 series could have been designed to easily accommodate an adjustable preload control.  The YSS shocks do have as an option a remote mechanical preload adjust mechanism but physically it isn't workable on the R1100 bikes.  The OEM rear shock on my R1100RSL did have a flaky preload adjuster that imo was very poorly thought out and of course no preload at all on the front shock.  All this said I wouldn't part with my pristine soon to hit 15K miles '93 BMW.

Lowndes

Oh, yeah??  "Pristine" '93 R1100RSL??

We gotta have pictures "or it didn't happen", here.

OK...Bet you've seen this pix before and it still looks the same.  lol..lol..

image.thumb.jpeg.bdf69dbbb0c08916d53bffda9bdb2f80.jpeg

Lowndes

Well, THAT one is worth looking at again, and several more times.  THAT is a GORGEOUS bike.  

What is the official name of that color??  I really like it.

THANKS for sharing again.

Morning Lowndes,  The color is silver pearl coat.  If you look at the right edge of the picture you can see the rear view mirror of the '10 FJR now that is what I would call silver.  Don't know what to call the BMW but silver anything doesn't come to what's left of my mind.  When I'm riding around people ask me the color and then look at the bike with an odd expression and say..."Silver??".   And I say..."Yeah, I know".

dmsantam

I got the YSS with rear remote hydraulic preload. the shock itself is performing well, but the crimp on the hydraulic line was poorly done and failed. I got a new hydraulic line done locally, filled and bled it, and now it works well. 

I'm 85kg with gear on and found that the standard yss spring was not ideal, and the shock was much better with a heavier spring. damping is adequate with the new spring. 

Screenshot_20240306-080855.png

Screenshot_20240306-080934.png

You must not have an R1100RS because no way could you connect that remote preload adjuster as shown in your pix if you did.  

That's interesting.  I took a ride today after setting the preload to 4 turns in and I thought the ride seemed about right or good enough for my purposes.  I have the rebound damping set at maximum soft and I think I'm getting a bit to much overshoot after going over a bump so my plan is to ride the bike over a series of bumps and increase damping while watching the front shock and try and eliminate overshoot when the bike comes off the bump.  Will sit on the bike and bounce the forks up and down and see how overshoot is affected and try the same on rear shock.  

This is my first time attempting to adjust rebound damping and shock preload and I can't say it's a lot of fun especially on my R1100RSL but at least I don't have to strip the bike down to adjust rebound damping.  The rebound damping adjuster has 30 clicks from maximum soft to max hard so think I'll start with 5 clicks in from soft and see what aI got.

What a pain in the %@#!.

dmsantam

Check the rider sag you're getting. I couldn't get 45mm with the stock spring without having it completely cranked up, and that was just with me, and no panniers. 

I ended up around the middle for rebound

I never checked sag or made any measurements.  I just called Ted Porter where I bought the YSS and asked what the delivered settings were for my R1100 and set preload at the point where in freer air the front shock had 10mm more spring length than what was recommended and called it good.  This gave me the softer ride I was looking for to begin with with the YSS shocks.  Now I'm going to dial in a little rebound damping and call it good.

What really, I think, caused my issue with the harsh ride was about 3 years ago when I lost 55 pounds of body weight which finally caused me to do something with the suspension.  At the tender age of 80 I'm no longer interested in fast riding especially in curves. Just no longer my thing.  Comfort while on two wheels is my main interest not speed or curves.  I mean hey, I'm lucky to be riding at all which I plan to continue as long as I can. Might even do an overnighter this summer, I say might and that's a pretty big might.  I kind of like my new Simmons Beauty Rest mattress better than some wore out sponge in an over priced motel room somewhere or setting up camping gear after a day thrashing myself on the open road.  Just how it is.:P   Oh, and there there are one's fellow travelers drinking and raising hell at night be it in some motel or even campground both of which are more than likely full up.  Now where I live that being the Oregon Coast there are tourists literally all over the place driving like the ding bats they mostly are and this doesn't do much for my enthusiasm either especially me being a native of these parts and fondly remembering better times.  Hmmmmm...maybe time to give it up come to think about it.  lol..lol..

• Like 2

The YSS shocks are very much to my liking and I wish I had addressed the shock issue early on.  I can definitely see why so many appreciate the fully electronic adjustable suspension on so many bikes today.  It would be really nice to just push a button when a passenger gets on as well as soften things up easily while in motion and solo.  Yup, I can see it and I'm not one for whistles and bells at all be it on any kind of motor vehicle.

• Plus 1 1