IGNORED

R1150RT Gearbox Lug

PatML

Hello again.

Following a spline failure I have just replaced my gearbox with a brand 'new' (ie 20-odd years old but unused - it still had the 'make sure you fill it with oil' sticker and shaft protection caps on it) one that came up from a reputable source on eBay.

As I was tightening up the upper left footplate bolt (the one that goes into the bar that blocks access to the clutch slave cylinder) the lug below it just broke off. There was no bolt or anything attached to it yet. All the other bolts around the subframe were still finger tight apart from the right-hand footplate, which I had just attached and torqued up.

I have always had a bit of a problem attaching the left footplate, and need to lift up the subframe a little by hauling upwards on the big lifting lever to line up the holes in the subframe, footplate and gearnbox. Once lined up and the first few threads were in I let that go and was screwing the bolt in with a ratchet driver when with  a'pop' the lug below it just, well, popped off. There must have been quite some tension on the gearbox but no more than the previous gearbox had endured a few times.

My question is, do we think that I can just live without that bolt holding the footplate to the gearbox? It is still secured in place with all the others. The alternative will be to strip it all down for a third time, then learn about disassembling transmissions to put the internals (particularly the input shaft, which has worn splines but once I get that far might as well be everything else) from the new gearbox into the intact case of the old one.

Here are some pics. The schematic shows the offending lug I am talking about, plus a couple of the break.

Cheers,

Pat

trans1.png

20240212_144752.jpg

20240212_144901.jpg

dirtrider
15 minutes ago, PatML said:

Hello again.

Following a spline failure I have just replaced my gearbox with a brand 'new' (ie 20-odd years old but unused - it still had the 'make sure you fill it with oil' sticker and shaft protection caps on it) one that came up from a reputable source on eBay.

As I was tightening up the upper left footplate bolt (the one that goes into the bar that blocks access to the clutch slave cylinder) the lug below it just broke off. There was no bolt or anything attached to it yet. All the other bolts around the subframe were still finger tight apart from the right-hand footplate, which I had just attached and torqued up.

I have always had a bit of a problem attaching the left footplate, and need to lift up the subframe a little by hauling upwards on the big lifting lever to line up the holes in the subframe, footplate and gearnbox. Once lined up and the first few threads were in I let that go and was screwing the bolt in with a ratchet driver when with  a'pop' the lug below it just, well, popped off. There must have been quite some tension on the gearbox but no more than the previous gearbox had endured a few times.

My question is, do we think that I can just live without that bolt holding the footplate to the gearbox? It is still secured in place with all the others. The alternative will be to strip it all down for a third time, then learn about disassembling transmissions to put the internals (particularly the input shaft, which has worn splines but once I get that far might as well be everything else) from the new gearbox into the intact case of the old one.

Here are some pics. The schematic shows the offending lug I am talking about, plus a couple of the break.

Cheers,

Pat

trans1.png

Morning Pat

You can probably live without that attachment but should try to make something work to replace it. 

Personally I would TIG weld the broken piece back on but if that isn't possible then drill a hole or holes where you can then make a new bolt-on ear, then space as necessary with a spacer or stack of washers. 

Redfoxx
1 hour ago, PatML said:

Hello again.

Cheers,

Pat

trans1.png

20240212_144752.jpg

20240212_144901.jpg

Keep everything clean  and check on someone to weld first, get welders opinion on weld fix. They likely can weld with transmission with it on bike.  Once aluminum oxides and is contaminated with oil, grease etc it more difficult to weld.

53 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning Pat

You can probably live without that attachment but should try to make something work to replace it. 

Personally I would TIG weld the broken piece back on but if that isn't possible then drill a hole or holes where you can then make a new bolt-on ear, then space as necessary with a spacer or stack of washers. 

Thanks, again, Dirtrider.

I don't have TIG (or any) welding capability but will look at some sort of bolt-on repair in due course.

Cheers,

Pat

Hosstage

WellI was thinking maybe a thin plate could be made that would mimic all the holes, be used like a big washer between the footrest and transmission, laid over the bracket, with the broken lug mimicked on the plate, use a nut and bolt in the unsupported hole. It doesn't need to be real thick. I'm all about hillbilly fixes.

Something like this?

IMG_20240301_123541416_HDR.thumb.jpg.13fd391fe71579f7e7d258b1724cdd6d.jpg

1 hour ago, Redfoxx said:

Keep everything clean  and check on someone to weld first, get welders opinion on weld fix. They likely can weld with transmission with it on bike.  Once aluminum oxides and is contaminated with oil, grease etc it more difficult to weld.

Good point. It will be a while and I am going to ride it meanwhile. So I wonder if gluing the broken bit back into place, and bolting it so as to keep the bit if the glue fails, will at least keep the surfaces clean, inasmuch as the glue can be peeled off later. Grateful for any thoughts.

31 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

WellI was thinking maybe a thin plate could be made that would mimic all the holes, be used like a big washer between the footrest and transmission, laid over the bracket, with the broken lug mimicked on the plate, use a nut and bolt in the unsupported hole. It doesn't need to be real thick. I'm all about hillbilly fixes.

Something like this?

Ooh yes I like that. Nice one!

Redfoxx
1 hour ago, PatML said:

Good point. It will be a while and I am going to ride it meanwhile. So I wonder if gluing the broken bit back into place, and bolting it so as to keep the bit if the glue fails, will at least keep the surfaces clean, inasmuch as the glue can be peeled off later. Grateful for any thoughts.

I am betting if you can find a local welder they could have it done same day.  I would avoid the glue, if your going to get it welded.  If your going to ride to your welder and ask the questions. 

• Plus 1 1