IGNORED

R1150RT New Clutch Juddering

PatML

I have just replaced the gearbox and clutch on my R1150RT after the splines went kaput. I tried just replacing the clutch (all the plates) with the extended centre in the hope that the gearbox splines were going to be OK despite a bit of wear. Nasty noise so I got an unused gearbox and put that in.

It is all together and working OK except when pulling away. She pulls away nicely with the clutch slowly engaging but just as I release the clutch the last little bit I get quite a noisy judder until the clutch is completely released, at which point all is well. Once under way I can change gears up and down faultlessly so it is just when pulling away that I get the judder. I can avoid it by revving a bit more and slipping the clutch to get me to a higher speed and just release the last bit quickly.

Is this just the new clutch plate bedding in or should I take the whole blimming thing apart yet again? (might need to any way, see next post.

Cheers all,

Pat

dirtrider
21 minutes ago, PatML said:

I have just replaced the gearbox and clutch on my R1150RT after the splines went kaput. I tried just replacing the clutch (all the plates) with the extended centre in the hope that the gearbox splines were going to be OK despite a bit of wear. Nasty noise so I got an unused gearbox and put that in.

It is all together and working OK except when pulling away. She pulls away nicely with the clutch slowly engaging but just as I release the clutch the last little bit I get quite a noisy judder until the clutch is completely released, at which point all is well. Once under way I can change gears up and down faultlessly so it is just when pulling away that I get the judder. I can avoid it by revving a bit more and slipping the clutch to get me to a higher speed and just release the last bit quickly.

Is this just the new clutch plate bedding in or should I take the whole blimming thing apart yet again? (might need to any way, see next post.

Cheers all,

Pat

Morning Pat

It might seat in & get better. Give it some seat-in time before completely condemning it. 

Otherwise, it could be an alignment issue between the trans input shaft centerline  & the engine crankshaft centerline. This misalignment can also cause spline wear. 

Did you have a lot of movement in the rear of the crankshaft (lateral or vertical)  when you checked for that with the transmission removed? 

Or even a contaminated clutch disk from greasy fingers or from a seeping slave cylinder. 

Morning Dirtrider, thanks for replying.

I'll ride it a bit more and see how it goes. If it ever stops raining.

Oh, I didn't check crankshaft movement. If I have it apart again I will look at that.

I gave the clutch plates and disk a good clean with brake cleaner, and the slave cylinder was OK.

Cheers,

Pat

43 minutes ago, Jim Moore said:

Happened to me. Went away after a few hundred miles.

Thanks Jim. That's reassuring.

Cheers,

Pat

Mine juddered for 1,000 miles.   Smoothed out nicely after that.   I put the BBY long spline clutch in.    Been very happy with it.