IGNORED

Rear wheel bolts alloy /spoked

Ozzyal

Seems a strange question  but here we go .

I currently have alloy or cast wheels on my 2013 GS LC . I have purchased a spare set of spoked wheels of a 2015 . The Max's parts list shows that the 5 wheel studs are of the the same specification  , M10x1.25x40mm  , however they are listed as different part numbers   . Can anyone shed some light on this  ? 

dirtrider
6 hours ago, Ozzyal said:

Seems a strange question  but here we go .

I currently have alloy or cast wheels on my 2013 GS LC . I have purchased a spare set of spoked wheels of a 2015 . The Max's parts list shows that the 5 wheel studs are of the the same specification  , M10x1.25x40mm  , however they are listed as different part numbers   . Can anyone shed some light on this  ? 

Morning 

You didn't look one up for the wethead & look  the other up for the camhead?

My parts book shows them the same for the wethead.  But BMW has been known to occasionally get things wrong in the parts diagrams so nothing is cast in stone. 

Spoke_____     36 31 7 673 903     WHEEL BOLT - M10X1,25X40

Alloy______     36 31 7 673 903     WHEEL BOLT - M10X1,25X40

Thanks  .  It was on the one schematic  , so the same model  . Size shows the specs but a different number  . 

All good I'll risk using the same bolts , I'm sure it's just one of those strange things the germans do . 

duckbubbles

I have seen different part numbers on the same part because of color choice (black/silver).  Perhaps there is a slight design change between the two or different manufacturers.

Frank

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Great thanks guys . 

I use to sell spare parts for earth moving equipment decades ago  , so I'm reasonably confident I was reading it correctly   . It was rare the same part has different part numbers   , but not totally out of the question  . I'd seen a Utube clip with an oil cooled model GS  , the guy was swapping his cast wheels for spoked rims and in that video he pointed out that the spoked wheel needed a longer bolt .  Which why I re checked the parts breakdown  . The different numbers had me concerned until I noted the specification were same  . 

dirtrider
1 hour ago, Ozzyal said:

Great thanks guys . 

I use to sell spare parts for earth moving equipment decades ago  , so I'm reasonably confident I was reading it correctly   . It was rare the same part has different part numbers   , but not totally out of the question  . I'd seen a Utube clip with an oil cooled model GS  , the guy was swapping his cast wheels for spoked rims and in that video he pointed out that the spoked wheel needed a longer bolt .  Which why I re checked the parts breakdown  . The different numbers had me concerned until I noted the specification were same  . 

Evening Ozzyal

The thing is the wethead parts book might be incorrect  (on length)  as the camhead used different bolt lengths. 

Just check the amount of threads sticking out the rear of the wheel when you drop a bolt in the hole. If the same amount is sticking out on both wheels then the length is more than likely the same & book length is probably correct.

• Like 1