IGNORED

Clutch bleed fluid question on 2005 R1150RT

Towerworker

Towerworker

I have an early '05 R1150RT. I've read just enough to confuse myself concerning bleeding the clutch. It's my 3rd R1150, I've owned an '03 R, '04 R and '05 RT. I've owned this '05 4 years now and have never bled the clutch. I've done the ABS twice now, just finished yesterday. I've been under the assumption that my bike uses DOT 4 brake fluid in the clutch. But I've read just enough to make me doubt my thinking. Somewhere in the past I read where BMW switched to mineral oil for clutch use. But like everything else on the internet you see conflicting stories. So what's the correct stuff? My Clymer says DOT 4. I hadn't read anything different until an hour ago. 

Wayne

dirtrider
2 hours ago, Towerworker said:

I have an early '05 R1150RT. I've read just enough to confuse myself concerning bleeding the clutch. It's my 3rd R1150, I've owned an '03 R, '04 R and '05 RT. I've owned this '05 4 years now and have never bled the clutch. I've done the ABS twice now, just finished yesterday. I've been under the assumption that my bike uses DOT 4 brake fluid in the clutch. But I've read just enough to make me doubt my thinking. Somewhere in the past I read where BMW switched to mineral oil for clutch use. But like everything else on the internet you see conflicting stories. So what's the correct stuff? My Clymer says DOT 4. I hadn't read anything different until an hour ago. 

Wayne

Morning Towerworker

If you have an 1150RT then it takes DOT4.

Part of the problem with the 2005 BMW RT is that they made both an oilhead (1150) & made a hexhead (1200). Posters on the internet don't always specify which BMW RT they are talking about & some probably don't even know there is a difference.

The hexhead uses mineral oil in the clutch hydraulics. 

Look on your clutch lever reservoir cover,  it usually says what fluid it takes on the cover  (assuming you still have an OEM reservoir cover).