IGNORED

R1200R MUE ?

Hadabadachada

Hadabadachada

Just curious what the 2013 R1200R MUE is.

I know they had the 90th anniversary edition, but that didn’t have a different exhaust I don’t think.

wonder what the MUE is which requires the heat shield..

478AC6BE-3CB2-4F1D-AED2-06487184594F.png

36782220-9BC5-47F8-8931-51D3E64FACCB.png

I have the 90th anniversary R and have the factory panniers, complete with that heat shield. No idea what MUE supposed to be though. I have the factory exhaust too.

Hadabadachada

Interesting. 
they make it seem like you don’t need the heat shield unless it’s the MUE version, whatever that is.

I just picked up some used cases and saw they don’t have a heat shield and wonder if I really need it or not.

12 hours ago, Hadabadachada said:

I just picked up some used cases and saw they don’t have a heat shield and wonder if I really need it or not.

Sorry, I can't really help you more than that because I bought the bike last year with the panniers (and top box) already fitted. The dealer I bought it from was not the original selling dealer so there is no telling if the panniers were purchased at the time the bike was for the first time or later in its life.

What I can do is fit the pannier and measure the clearance for you. Then you can make an educated guess about getting the shield or not.

Hadabadachada

Sure that’d be a tad more information than we have. I’ll measure my distance as well, so the info is out there. 

I guess mine will be with the titanium Akra can. Wonder if that stays cool enough, or spits the heat far enough back to not worry about the shield. 

I’ll have to take it on a run once I get my lock cylinders, and give it all a laser measure. 

As per attached photos, there is quite a gap. On the R bike the  closest point is just over an inch and the exhaust finishes pretty much where the shield starts. I guess upward going exhaust gases will be counteracted by it.

The second picture is of the '21 RT. Bigger gap and no real chance of upward expelled gases. Gap is nearly 2 inches though.

Make of it what you will.

IMG_2703.jpeg

IMG_2704.jpeg

Hadabadachada

nice, thanks. 

looks like I have about 2ish inches clearance here with this can.

guess I’ll just have to take it for a whip around and have a feel/look to see if I’m melting anything. 
guess the shield wouldn’t be a bad idea regardless, just pricey.

wonder if I can rig some kinda heat tape or something like this

FF11339A-020D-4A8A-BB35-241354C7A026.jpeg

Hadabadachada

So my buddy just googled BMW MUE and got this from a forum

0C8C58EB-4C16-4022-9222-ADA61771E03B.jpeg
and that made me think of A&S parts look up, 2013 had the R1200R11 which was my bike, and the R1200R

now, A&S layout has changed so that doesn’t pull up anymore.

im guessing there was a variation in 2013/2014 before they went to the water cooled bikes or something? 

because the water cooled bikes switched the exhaust/swing arm side right?

still kinda confused a little 🤷🏻‍♂️

wallyging

I believe the revised model MUE refers to is the camhead, as opposed to the hexhead, thus, cases made for the earlier hexhead models need to have the heat shield added if they are installed on a camhead.

Hadabadachada

That sounds like it makes sense.

I’ll go with that.

tho that means I should probably get one…

or maybe I can rig something to reflect the heat