IGNORED

Aux Light Switch Ideas

djbock

Looking for what others have used/use for their aux lights as far as a switch on an 1150RT.  On my 1100RT I purchased and utilized an OEM heated grip switch to maintain a nice clean factory look in the factory location.  With the 1150 I am not seeing such an easy/clean option.  So looking for input on what others may have or are using.  As for power to the switch I have a Thunderbox on the way.

Michaelr11

On my RT, I took the simple approach.  My aux lights are on all the time. They came with a switch but I just tied that off to the frame under the seat. The lights are driven by a relay, and the relay is triggered by 12 volts on the grey/black parking lamp wire.

29 minutes ago, Michaelr11 said:

On my RT, I took the simple approach.  My aux lights are on all the time. They came with a switch but I just tied that off to the frame under the seat. The lights are driven by a relay, and the relay is triggered by 12 volts on the grey/black parking lamp wire.

Thought about that but I mainly only use them when riding in town, rain or at night.  Would like the ability to turn them off when I'm out on the highway.

Michaelr11
2 hours ago, djbock said:

Thought about that but I mainly only use them when riding in town, rain or at night.  Would like the ability to turn them off when I'm out on the highway.

Several of my friends who ride behind me have aux lights.  The triangle of lights makes their bikes exceptionally noticeable.  Unless you have a real lack of available electrical current I would run them all the time.

• Like 3

Auxiliary lights were already installed on my R1150RT when I bought it. The lights are activated by an Autoswitch product. Turn them on/off by pressing and holding the turn signal cancel button for a few seconds. Since it has always worked properly I have never investigated the wiring setup so I can't speak to the installation difficulty.   https://www.autoswitch.com/index.php

Unfortunately my R1100RT is spending the winter not at home this winter so no pic is available. I had a cooling fan installed on my Oilhead. The dash auxiliary power socket was removed from the dash and moved to the glove box. (Well actually, I placed a North American female plug in the GB.) The button switch for the  fan fitted perfectly on the dash where the auxiliary power used to sit. This could also work for powering  auxiliary lights on and off.

My PIAAs came with a small switch which is held on the handle bar, just in front of the left hand assembly by velco. It has stayed put for the last 138,000 kms.

Cheers!

Paul

On 2/24/2024 at 4:31 PM, RTmutter said:

Auxiliary lights were already installed on my R1150RT when I bought it. The lights are activated by an Autoswitch product. Turn them on/off by pressing and holding the turn signal cancel button for a few seconds. Since it has always worked properly I have never investigated the wiring setup so I can't speak to the installation difficulty.   https://www.autoswitch.com/index.php

I like this route.  For $25 will give it a try.