IGNORED

Engine replacement

joyrider

Hello all!

New guy here.

I have a 2007 R1200RT-P 

Recently broke the cam chain guide rail on left cylinder. Apparently repair consists of splitting the case to replace the rails. Instead, I'm opting to purchase a motor from a 2005 model for $450 (missing right cylinder head, tranny, etc.). Thought I would sell what's leftover to offset engine cost. My question is this- will my 2007 head bolt on to the 2005 cylinder? I'm guessing it will, but if I have to, I'll just get a head for that model.

Also, what else should I do before I put the new motor back in? 

PXL_20240210_222312794.MP.jpg

dirtrider
38 minutes ago, joyrider said:

Hello all!

New guy here.

I have a 2007 R1200RT-P 

Recently broke the cam chain guide rail on left cylinder. Apparently repair consists of splitting the case to replace the rails. Instead, I'm opting to purchase a motor from a 2005 model for $450 (missing right cylinder head, tranny, etc.). Thought I would sell what's leftover to offset engine cost. My question is this- will my 2007 head bolt on to the 2005 cylinder? I'm guessing it will, but if I have to, I'll just get a head for that model.

Also, what else should I do before I put the new motor back in? 

Afternoon joyrider

You have a hexhead not a camhead

I haven't ever personally bolted a 2005  cylinder head on a 2007 engine but according to my parts book there is no difference.

You are really taking a chance buying a non running engine that is missing a cylinder head. Who knows what's hidden or lurking in the shadows on that engine.  

Well, the used motor only had less than 19,000 miles on it, it's a salvaged motorcycle from a reputable seller so yeah I'm taking a chance but I think it'll be okay.