IGNORED

BMW R 1250 R

Ziko

Hello. I just bought a brand new BMW R1250R. It is my 1st BMW bike with Boxer engine. I am experiencing on acceleration, while smoothly opening the throttle, some kind of a whistle similar to air suction from the top of the bike, around the air filter area. I appreciate any feed back about this, has anyone experienced the same? Is it a the normal behavior of the Boxer engine? Thanks.

Hey, finally somebody with another 1250R. Welcome:grin:. Is it a '23? Mine is a '20, but basically identical, other than the different headlight, and possibly a heated seat (not available before). Curious if you got ESA, which I heard it's  not offered on Rs anymore, which is a shame, because it's fantastic (mine is fully optioned). Now to your question. I haven't noticed any such noise, even when riding without earplugs to the gas station...but not sure what you're hearing, which could be perfectly normal. These engines are NOISY, so maybe you can tell us what you used to ride before. And remember all other boxers are going to sound different than ours, due to a lot more plastic covering the bike. The only noise I heard on my bike that I didn't like was the noisier left side cam chain, due to a shorter-than-it-should-be tensioner that I'm about to change. But your bike should have it already, and you can confirm it by trying to fit a 17mm socket on it. The new left side tensioner is 19mm, so it shouldn't fit (the right one should).

Finally, our bikes come almost fully assembled, except mirrors and battery, so really doubt there's anything wrong with your bike. Your mirrors could not be aligned properly (like mine), but if that's the case, it's easy to remedy with a yard stick, and knowing that BOTH mirrors have reverse threads. Now I can see perfectly. Oh, and my battery was installed backwards, but really doubt your dealer is that bad. Ha ha. Hope this helps.

15 hours ago, Ziko said:

Hello. I just bought a brand new BMW R1250R. It is my 1st BMW bike with Boxer engine. I am experiencing on acceleration, while smoothly opening the throttle, some kind of a whistle similar to air suction from the top of the bike, around the air filter area. I appreciate any feed back about this, has anyone experienced the same? Is it a the normal behavior of the Boxer engine? Thanks.

Congrats on the new bike!!! I just purchased a 2024 R1250RT.  It sounds different than my 2016 RT and I do hear a bit of a whistle.  Since I wear ear plugs most of the time I only hear the noises already ringing in my ears and nothing from the bike!!  Cheers!

At what RPM's is this heard?   Around 4,000?

That is when I noticed it on my RT, but there is a lot of plastic over the air filter, so not sure where I could pinpoint the origin.   It may be the result of the Shift Cam moving over and the sound is the air rushing through. (?)

Thanks guys for all your replies. Took my bike to BMW, and another private mechanic shop very well known in Dubai and they both confirmed that nothing wrong and it is the sound of a very well functioning engine, and to expect some more other noises to develop all along the lifespan of a boxer engine. My previous bike was Suzuki Vstrom, a bit quiter...

As for the ESA, yes my bike has it. Thanks again.

That's what I figured:classic_biggrin:. And yes, my cousin had a V-Strom 1000, and it was quieter... but not by much. Our cylinders are fully exposed, with no bodywork; that's why. Now that I have the longer tensioner on the left side (you should have it already), it should actually be surprisingly quiet, at least compared to older boxers I've heard. Oh, and when you have the valves perfectly adjusted, even more so. Anyway, with earplugs, I cannot hear the engine with traffic around, but at least now I can hear the Akra, which is great, since I didn't like just having to watch the tach to know what the engine was doing (with stock exhaust). Enjoy it:cool:.