IGNORED

No fuel coming out injectors

plepper

I recently did some work (25K service) to my 03 R1150rt the bike sat for a while as it was too cold in the garage to work on it. I had removed the throttle bodies to clean them I put everything back together and now I'm not getting fuel through the injectors. The fuel pump cycles and quits so I assume it's working correctly and no leaks or bad hoses. I've put 4 gallons of Chevron gas in the tank and the gauge shows 6 bars. I also put new metal disconnects on the fuel lines. I'm not to sure how to proceed, can I disconnect the quick connects and put the old ends on them with fuel lines to check that the pump is in fact working? Could the injectors be plugged and not letting fuel through? Can I remove the injectors from the fuel rail ends to see if I'm getting fuel there? I'm open to any ideas.

dirtrider
33 minutes ago, plepper said:

I recently did some work (25K service) to my 03 R1150rt the bike sat for a while as it was too cold in the garage to work on it. I had removed the throttle bodies to clean them I put everything back together and now I'm not getting fuel through the injectors. The fuel pump cycles and quits so I assume it's working correctly and no leaks or bad hoses. I've put 4 gallons of Chevron gas in the tank and the gauge shows 6 bars. I also put new metal disconnects on the fuel lines. I'm not to sure how to proceed, can I disconnect the quick connects and put the old ends on them with fuel lines to check that the pump is in fact working? Could the injectors be plugged and not letting fuel through? Can I remove the injectors from the fuel rail ends to see if I'm getting fuel there? I'm open to any ideas.

Evening plepper

You don't have the fuel lines crossed do you? The fuel hoses never cross over each other. If they are reversed your fuel pump will pressurize but the fuel regulator will prevent fuel flow to the injectors. 

You probably need to verify that you have actual fuel pumping through your system at enough pressure. 

Easy to do that, unplug your return hose quick disconnect, then either hold the internal check valve open on the hose coming from the rear (or put a mating open quick disconnect in that hose coming from the rear), then key on for a few seconds (or better yet crank engine). Then see if you have any fuel flowing out of the return hose. If you have a decent stream coming out (about pencil sized) then you have enough fuel flow at enough pressure to run the engine. 

If you have enough fuel flow/pressure then next thing to do is put a NOID light on one of your fuel injector connectors then crank the engine & look for the NOID light to be flashing at every piston up. You can buy a NOID light at most auto parts stores  (just make sure it fits your injector connector)

If your fuel pump runs then your fuel injector fuse is good so you probably have 12v B+ to your fuel injectors.

If you have no (or very little) fuel return hose fuel flow, and IF your hoses are not crossed, then if you keyed on, or ran the pump with the quick disconnects unplugged it might have ruptured the high pressure "U" hose in the fuel tank, or even blown the hose off of one of it's fittings. 

With all the times you have had it apart with your preliminary checking I presume that you have verified that you have both quick disconnects FULLY plugged into each other (if only partially engage the internal check valve can block fuel flow)

II don't think the lines are crossed as I replaced the quick connect fittings one at a time with a like connector and the lines were  male/female from the tank and the fuel rail and the bike ran before the work began. I'll check the other items you mentioned. One question how do I identify the return line is it the top or bottom line? Thanks

Edited by plepper
additional questions
dirtrider
11 hours ago, plepper said:

II don't think the lines are crossed as I replaced the quick connect fittings one at a time with a like connector and the lines were  male/female from the tank and the fuel rail and the bike ran before the work began. I'll check the other items you mentioned. One question how do I identify the return line is it the top or bottom line? Thanks

Morning  plepper

The lower line is the pressurized fuel going to the fuel pressure regulator,  upper line is the low-pressure return fuel back to the tank. 

If you have fuel coming out of the rear hose on the upper line that means that your fuel pump is making enough pressure (50 psi+) to open the pressure regulator valve and return the excess back into the fuel tank.

• Plus 1 1

Thank you so much for the excellent advice Dirtrider! Upon closer inspection if found the pressure side quick connect wasn't completely connected. It goes to show that sometimes the simplest answer is THE answer! I have much egg on my face but have relearned a valuable lesson!

• Like 2
dirtrider
9 minutes ago, plepper said:

Thank you so much for the excellent advice Dirtrider! Upon closer inspection if found the pressure side quick connect wasn't completely connected. It goes to show that sometimes the simplest answer is THE answer! I have much egg on my face but have relearned a valuable lesson!

Afternoon plepper

I like easy fixes, it saves a lot of typing. 

• Haha 2