IGNORED

That's the Breaks!

Hi folks! I haven't been on BMWST in a long time, since I'm not sport touring by any means. In my decades oif motorcycling, I've had a couple of nasty get-offs. One put me in hospital for a few days. But the thing I truly feared has overtaken me. To get injured significantly, here in West Africa.

January 12th, I was riding on the smooth, divided highway under construction. It was night-time and I usually avoid riding in the dark here. The street lights were out in this section and my headlap was on low beam. I think I was doing about 40 when "WHAM!", something hit me just below the left knee. The shock and surprise were tremendous!*

I managed to ride the bike over to the shoulder, then stood there with my left leg just hanging, unable to put the sidestand down. There were a few people around. Eventually they heard me shouting for help. They lifted me off the bike. Everyone was very solicitous. After a few minutes, pain began to set in. A Spanish nurse and her man showed up. No ambulances, so a taxi was flagged down and I was taken to a private clinic where x-rays were done. (The x-ray tech recognized me! "Hello, doctah! Remembah me? You helped teach me")

I'll make this long story short. Bad fractures of both bones. A miserable night in tremendous pain at the public ER. Eventually, the leg was splinted - an excruciating process - but afterward the pain lessened. One of the two ortho docs in the country saw me and said we would have to wait 2 weeks for the swelling to go down, then he'd have to open it up and put in a plate.

A dear friend, Lady Kia Dalton, put me up in her spare bedroom for two weeks. The surgery was done. Two weeks later the operative site was badly infected and opened up completely.

So, now I've been in hospital for nearly 2 weeks, with a vacuum dressing and IV antibiotics.

I am exploring ways to get back to Seattle, but there are no flights available until March and those take nearly 48 hours from Banjul airport. All costs have been out-of-pocket. The ortho tells me the bone healing is more complex than he initially thought.

Are we downhearted?

Damn straight!

*it was a steel road sign someone had left in the lane.

IMG-20240131-WA0025.jpg

IMG-20240131-WA0024.jpg

20240112_021425.jpg

20240119_111328.jpg

20240217_205438.jpg

• Sad 2

Wow! So sorry to hear this. Looks absolutely miserable.

Here's hoping recovery goes better, good luck in your travels.

Ouch! Sorry to hear this news Doc. :( I think I asked for some pictures a little bit ago, not what I was expecting… :classic_ohmy: Good luck with the healing! 

Joe Frickin' Friday

Hey doc -  Good to hear from you, although I wish the circumstances were better.  Glad you didn't fare any worse than this.  

48 hours to Seattle sounds like an ordeal itself, and I'm imagining there will be two or three legs (sorry) for the whole trip.  I'm guessing you'll need to wait for the infection to be fully sorted out before you can consider traveling.  But do you think you'll need to wait for more healing to take place before you try to undertake a voyage like that?

Hoping things get better for you soon.  please keep us posted.  

8 minutes ago, 81delorean said:

I give, what in the world hit you that did that? Any idea? 

3 hours ago, doc47 said:

*it was a steel road sign someone had left in the lane

A steel road sign, probably left by a workman.

My guess is that it read: Avoid this sign!

• Smile 1

Wow.  This does not sound like a fun filled few weeks.  I hope that the flights and your progress line up to get you back to Seattle.

Dennis Andress

Hi doc, wish you were writing under better circumstances. Please let us know how the trip to Seattle goes, and how you are healing.

Wow, what a terrible event.  Hopefully things start to go good for you.   🤞that the antibiotics clear up that infection quickly.  I cringed  with a sense of pain just looking at the X-rays you posted.  Keeping good thoughts for you and your recovery.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Doc, good to hear from you again but certainly not under your current condition. Hope you heal well and can get back to the states. A few years ago in Vader.

dsc010411.jpeg.8f1ba983d1b95caa802db498e8c78522.jpeg

WOW! I had forgotten this. What a great photo. Fasterpill! Is he still riding? Still in touch?

Thanks for the memory, Doug! Damn! I miss those get-togethers!

I do not get on the board much. Once in a while I contact Roadscholar and Tewks. I used to stay in touch with Marty but it has been a while. He never calls anymore. No idea what Phil is up to. At nearly 80 my riding and dirt trips are gone. Too wobbly. Take care. Hope you heal ok.

• Like 3
szurszewski

Doc - my memory says you have family here in WA, so you're probably sorted (once you finally get here!), but if not and you could use some transportation help - or anything else - please let me know. We're living in Tumwater now, so just a quick trip to SEA, and I've got a pretty flexible schedule - you could even say very flexible with a week or so of notice. 

I'm glad you hit something within shouting distance of people! That would have been a bad time if you'd had to get yourself somewhere or had to wait roadside to be found!

• Like 1