IGNORED

2006 R1200RT...Suspension Bottoming Out

AzTechnode

AzTechnode

Hi all new to the forum / love the site very informative...just picked up a 2006 r1200rt with 25,000 mi on it, front suspension feels like it bottoms out...in going over the bike yesterday i noticed it has Hyperpro shocks front and rear, and am pretty sure are for Low suspension setup. also on the forum they talk about no springs in these stancions... just oil, if i jump up and down on the bike there is some resistance and i don't experience any bottoming out...also i have no leaks in the forks. so i suspect crappy shocks and want to go back to standard height shocks. however my budget at this time may only allow purchasing one shock at a time...preferably front shock first. is this doable or a road Hazzard.

P.S.  any suggestions on shocks from Ted Porters Beemer shop...THX

dirtrider
33 minutes ago, AzTechnode said:

Hi all new to the forum / love the site very informative...just picked up a 2006 r1200rt with 25,000 mi on it, front suspension feels like it bottoms out...in going over the bike yesterday i noticed it has front and rear, and am pretty sure are for Low suspension setup. also on the forum they talk about no springs in these stancions... just oil, if i jump up and down on the bike there is some resistance and i don't experience any bottoming out...also i have no leaks in the forks. so i suspect crappy shocks and want to go back to standard height shocks. however my budget at this time may only allow purchasing one shock at a time...preferably front shock first. is this doable or a road Hazzard.

P.S.  any suggestions on shocks from Ted Porters Beemer shop...THX

Afternoon  AzTechnode

Typically Hyperpro front struts (shocks) have 2 adjustments, spring load & damping. 

The spring load (preload) is usually an adjuster ring on the strut body & the damping is usually a small wheel (kind of a dial) on the side of the strut. 

You can try increasing both preload (make the spring shorter) and/or adjust the damping to more damping. 

My best advise to you is get the numbers on your struts, or take clear pictures of them, then call Hyperpro tec line or help number. 

Call Ted, Ted is great source of information to help you decide on struts, I have heard of him taking an hour or more helping customers decide what they want, need,  & can afford. 

AzTechnode

i attempted adjustment of the dial of the rear shock...and it did not move either direction... i will pull the bike in and give it a go on front shock and hope for the best ...good to here Ted is a good source....appreciate your input...THX D.R.

Ted is a very good source, helpful, and honest. He is a BMW expert and I believe he reps Hyperpro. Give him a shout. 

Welcome to the board. We love pictures of new members bikes.. hint hint

I also recommend Ted Porter's BeemerShop. He and associate Jeff spent a lot of time helping me come to the decision to spec YSS shocks for my 2007 RT..