IGNORED

More GS routes

johnlt

I have a couple GS routes I'd like to share. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to the UN but having had a home in Crested Butte for several years, I know the area pretty well. The first is Cottenwood pass. I recommend counterclockwise so you can climb up the paved side of the pass. The dirt starts at the top and goes for about 17 miles until you get to Taylor Res. Really a great ride. The second goes over Schofield Pass and is only 83 miles. I'm not sure if it is open this early in the year, but if it is, it is spectacular. You go through the ski area in Crested Butte then up to Gothic on your way to Schofield pass where you turn left and go through Paradise basin. If it is open, it is really cool. If you have a problem with heights on narrow dirt roads with no guard railing, don't go on either of these routes. Enjoy,

johnlt

698679-jltGSroutes.gdb

StretchMark

If you have a problem with heights on narrow dirt roads with no guard railing, don't go on either of these routes.

Tasker??? Are you sure about this??? eek.gif

Tasker??? Are you sure about this???
Geez Mark, cheap shot. I'm not even Tasker and that hurts way over here!
If you have a problem with heights on narrow dirt roads with no guard railing, don't go on either of these routes.

Ummm, no.

I downloaded the routes before I saw this little tid-bit of information about the routes.

I can't see a good outcome to me on these roads... eek.giftongue.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Heck, I'll be riding Cottonwood on my RT Monday on my way into Gunnison. And this will be with my camping gear loaded. After I pitch camp, I figure I'll take a short run up Cumberland Pass on my way to the ghost town of Tincup. Schofield Pass is a serious mutha, tho... eek.gif

Heck, I'll be riding Cottonwood on my RT Monday on my way into Gunnison. And this will be with my camping gear loaded. After I pitch camp, I figure I'll take a short run up Cumberland Pass on my way to the ghost town of Tincup. Schofield Pass is a serious mutha, tho... eek.gif

You're right, Cottonwood pass is easy dirt. Only a 17 mile section down from the summit on the west side but although an RT can make it easy, it is washboard and you can get some rocks kicked up on the tupperware. The climb up the east side to the summit is one of the best around.

I'll add my $.02 worth:

Cottonwood Pass is a great idea. The paved approach from the east side (Buena Vista) is a sweet ride up to the top of the pass. The west side approach (from the Taylor Reservoir) is unpaved, but well maintained gravel - might have to deal with some "washboard" sections, but otherwise it is an easy ride.

Schofield Pass: I not sure I would do Schofield on my GS. It is one serious bit of offroading. There are some extremely rough sections. However, if you must, the approach from Marble includes a postcard photo opportunity of the old Sheep Mountain Mill (and a good place to turn around!). The approach from the Crested Butte side has the lovely Emerald Lake (and a good place to turn around!). The Schofield Pass section itself is definitely "travel at your own risk".

In spite of just getting back from that area on Sunday - I am very jealous of you guys - have fun!

Peter

I'll add my $.02 worth:

Cottonwood Pass is a great idea. The paved approach from the east side (Buena Vista) is a sweet ride up to the top of the pass. The west side approach (from the Taylor Reservoir) is unpaved, but well maintained gravel - might have to deal with some "washboard" sections, but otherwise it is an easy ride.

Schofield Pass: I not sure I would do Schofield on my GS. It is one serious bit of offroading. There are some extremely rough sections. However, if you must, the approach from Marble includes a postcard photo opportunity of the old Sheep Mountain Mill (and a good place to turn around!). The approach from the Crested Butte side has the lovely Emerald Lake (and a good place to turn around!). The Schofield Pass section itself is definitely "travel at your own risk".

In spite of just getting back from that area on Sunday - I am very jealous of you guys - have fun!

Peter

Peter, I wasn't suggesting they go down the back side to Marble. My recommendation was that they turn left at the top and go through Paradise basin then back down to CB. You can see the route on my GPS file. I wouldn't take a GS to Marble either. I think that is a serious "real dirt bike" road.

johnlt

Archived