IGNORED

R1150 wheels on early R1100

JamesW

Wish my R1100RSL had 17" wheels in rear to match the 17" front.  I really like the later R1150RT wheels.  

In 2003 I put a 17” rear wheel from a K1200LT on my R1100RT(1997).    I liked the choices of tires.   You need the LT lug bolts also.   Different length to the R1100 lug bolts.   I bought the wheel new.   Pricey.   You can buy a whole LT for $1,000.00 these days.  The R1150 wheeel won’t work because of the brake disc mounting.   

10 hours ago, fatbob said:

In 2003 I put a 17” rear wheel from a K1200LT on my R1100RT(1997).    I liked the choices of tires.   You need the LT lug bolts also.   Different length to the R1100 lug bolts.   I bought the wheel new.   Pricey.   You can buy a whole LT for $1,000.00 these days.  The R1150 wheeel won’t work because of the brake disc mounting.   

Thanks for that info.  That's what I thought about the 1150 wheels but never would have thought of a K1200LT wheel.  I'll never understand why BMW would put a different size wheel on a motorcycle like the R1100.  Come to think of it over the years there's a lot about BMW I never understood and then there is the cost.  

• Thinking 1
dirtrider
2 hours ago, JamesW said:

Thanks for that info.  That's what I thought about the 1150 wheels but never would have thought of a K1200LT wheel.  I'll never understand why BMW would put a different size wheel on a motorcycle like the R1100.  Come to think of it over the years there's a lot about BMW I never understood and then there is the cost.  

Afternoon James 

The 1100 oilheads were coming out just as BMW was phasing in radial tires on the R bikes. Assuming the radial tire testing & tire vetting was started a couple of years earlier so they could be durability tested & compatibility/safety tested, as well as ABS & safety validated before production actually started. 

There probably weren't that many mid/heavy motorcycle radial tires available in the very early 1990 time frame to choose from,  or be able to design around, or even choose a specific tire in a specific size/load rating. 

Check you PM's as I sent you some info on what fits what. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
RK Ryder
On 3/1/2024 at 4:35 PM, SAS said:

Hi DR,

Could you please send me that same info for "what fits what.  

Me too, please dirtrider. 

Paul