IGNORED

Scrapping/bearing noise from around the Crankshaft Pulley

02R1150RT6M

02R1150RT6M

After my last ride I noticed a light scraping/bearing noise from the Crankshaft Pulley. I did a search online but I didn't see anything similar. There doesn't seem to be a bearing in the pulley but I do see a rotor for the HES in the diagram. Have any of you heard of this issue before? 

King Herald

Could it be the alternator belt making the noise? Mine makes a sort of faint squeaking/rustling sound if I inadvertently listen a bit too hard. 

• Haha 1
dirtrider
On 2/17/2024 at 12:06 AM, 02R1150RT6M said:

After my last ride I noticed a light scraping/bearing noise from the Crankshaft Pulley. I did a search online but I didn't see anything similar. There doesn't seem to be a bearing in the pulley but I do see a rotor for the HES in the diagram. Have any of you heard of this issue before? 

Morning   02R1150RT6M

As King Herald said, it could be a belt  noise. You can remove the belt & run the engine as the belt only drives the alternator.

First thing, is the lower pulley bolt tight?  If it comes loose the timing cup (rotor)can rub on the HES. But typically they don't run for a long time like that as it usually kills the HES, or bends/shears the little locating tit off of the timing cup (rotor). 

You might remove the belt cover, then look for signs of metal particles around the HES area. If that looks good then either remove the belt & run it to see it that changes or eliminates the noise, OR if the belt is loose tighten or replace it.   

You can also try a little belt dressing to see if that quiets it down, if that helps then probably replace the belt. 

There is a front accessory shaft chain (under the front metal engine cover) if that wears, or the hydraulic tensioner fails or loses it tension, then the chain can contact/rub on the engine case & make a noise. Usually more of a chain type rattle but it could almost sound like a scraping noise.  

The other thing to look for is a loose alternator (mounting bolts or adjuster) that can allow the alternator to vibrate  & sometimes that vibration can sound like a bearing growl.  

You can buy a cheap mechanics stethoscope on-line, or at most auto parts stores, then use that to listen more precisely at, and around, the lower pulley area. You can also remove the stinger from the mechanics stethoscope then just use the open hose to listen for/pinpoint air-born engine noises that normally telegraph through the engine cases so are difficult to pinpoint with direct stinger contact. 

• Like 1