IGNORED

HANDLE BAR ROTATE STOPS

jjpen

I PLAN TO RAISE MY BARS AND REROUTE THE WIRES AND CABLES SO I NEED TO KNOW WHAT STOPS THE ROTATION SO I CAN NOT PINCH ANYTHING.  I JUST LOOKED AND I DO NOT SEE ANY STOPS BUT I HEAR A CLUNK WHEN THEY STOP.

dirtrider
40 minutes ago, jjpen said:

I PLAN TO RAISE MY BARS AND REROUTE THE WIRES AND CABLES SO I NEED TO KNOW WHAT STOPS THE ROTATION SO I CAN NOT PINCH ANYTHING.  I JUST LOOKED AND I DO NOT SEE ANY STOPS BUT I HEAR A CLUNK WHEN THEY STOP.

Evening jjpen

On the underside of the upper triple tree there are cast in stops that contact ears on the front subframe. 

THANK YOU DIRTRIDER FOR THAT INFO.  IF I REROUTE THE WIRES AND CABLES WOULD THEY BE LIKELY TO GET PINCHED AT FULL TURN?  THEY WOULD BE ROUTED ON THE REAR SIDE OF THE FORKS.  THANKS AGAIN.

dirtrider
11 hours ago, jjpen said:

THANK YOU DIRTRIDER FOR THAT INFO.  IF I REROUTE THE WIRES AND CABLES WOULD THEY BE LIKELY TO GET PINCHED AT FULL TURN?  THEY WOULD BE ROUTED ON THE REAR SIDE OF THE FORKS.  THANKS AGAIN.

Morning jjpen

Pinching usually isn't an issue, stretching & pulling is usually more of an issue. Also make sure that nothing contacts the windshield at full lock (full turn) with windshield in different positions. 

If you use a tank bag also make sure the horn button doesn't contact the bag at full left lock. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Morning jjpen

Pinching usually isn't an issue, stretching & pulling is usually more of an issue. Also make sure that nothing contacts the windshield at full lock (full turn) with windshield in different positions. 

If you use a tank bag also make sure the horn button doesn't contact the bag at full left lock. 

Or the kill switch at full right lock

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

If I put a spacer between the upper triple tree and the bars what is the maximum amount spacer the stock set up will tolerate?

dirtrider
18 minutes ago, jjpen said:

If I put a spacer between the upper triple tree and the bars what is the maximum amount spacer the stock set up will tolerate?

Morning  jjpen

I haven't ever tried to go straight up, but my guess is at least an inch. Hitting the windshield at full lock might be an issue.   You might have to reroute the wires & hoses a little.

Just get some longer bolts (probably just need  2 for each side) then use spacers, or a stack of washers under the bar base. See how much you can go up & not have wire, hose, or windshield contact problems.

1 hour ago, jjpen said:

I have a used set of Camhead R1200RT 18mm bar risers/spacers from Mototechniques with all attachment hardware just sitting on the shelf in interested in purchasing. Send me a PM if so.

20240216_100949.thumb.jpg.85e9fb593b1e69c1ab7bdd6818279004.jpg

I want to route all the lines and wires on the rear side of the forks.  It is obvious a thicker spacer than 1 inch can be used but how much?  I am trying to determine how thick to make the spacer.  Or is it just a bad idea to reroute the lines and wires to the back side of the forks?

dirtrider
19 minutes ago, jjpen said:

I want to route all the lines and wires on the rear side of the forks.  It is obvious a thicker spacer than 1 inch can be used but how much?  I am trying to determine how thick to make the spacer.  Or is it just a bad idea to reroute the lines and wires to the back side of the forks?

Afternoon  jjpen

I haven't ever routed them to the back so can't help you with that. About all you can do is try it then see if anything interferes, pinches, or gets too tight when turning the handlebars . 

I cannot ride for more than 3 hours without back pain.  I caried an 8 pound power pack on my shoulder to power my flash for hours at a time year after year.  It pulled my spine out of alignment and it will not stay straight.  My wife rides a 650 yamaha star and when I ride that, it hurts my back less.  I am just trying to sit up straighter when I ride my rt.

I just realized that for the first time dirtrider said I can't help you with that.  Now that is a rare thing.

1 hour ago, jjpen said:

What I really need is to move the bars back closer to me but they must come up to do it.

That spacer kit posted by jdub53 is the same one I had on my Camhead.... put the bars up and back with no wiring or cable issues.

My 2012 with risers. No issues with the brake line. I rerouted it outside the retainer band. Been like this over 10 years. See photos.20240217_105740.thumb.jpg.40940a6a34bd5728415e85aba8251503.jpg

20240217_105804.jpg

• Like 1

My bike has a set of the 1 inch risers but that is just not enough to get me sitting up straight enough.

Old School
On 2/16/2024 at 7:15 AM, jdub53 said:

I have a used set of Camhead R1200RT 18mm bar risers/spacers from Mototechniques with all attachment hardware just sitting on the shelf in interested in purchasing. Send me a PM if so.

20240216_100949.thumb.jpg.85e9fb593b1e69c1ab7bdd6818279004.jpg

These were on my bike when I bought it, installed by a previous owner.

Risers.jpg

Risers 2.jpg