IGNORED

Another Oil Sight Question

RK Ryder

Rather than going off tangent with the most recent thread, i am posting a new question. Since I do have a new sight glass in my bag of extras and although my K100 most likely has had the same sight glass for the last 284,000 kilometres. Would it be advisable and proactive to replace the existing sight glass or should I leave well enough alone? Presently the current one has absolutely no seepage.

DR is better equipped to answer this than me....but if your current lense is pretty clear, not leaking, and plastic...I would leave it alone.  My understanding is the new lenses are glass and a real bugger to install often resulting in breaking them.

dirtrider
1 hour ago, RK Ryder said:

Rather than going off tangent with the most recent thread, i am posting a new question. Since I do have a new sight glass in my bag of extras and although my K100 most likely has had the same sight glass for the last 284,000 kilometres. Would it be advisable and proactive to replace the existing sight glass or should I leave well enough alone? Presently the current one has absolutely no seepage.

Afternoon  RK Ryder

If your present sight glass is not seeping & the rubber looks pristine then probably no hurry to replace. If the rubber is starting to look hardened, brittle, or minor cracking, then definitely replace it. 

If that sight glass you have in hand is the old plastic lens sight glass then that that thing is golden. THAT, is the one that you want to keep & carry as it can be installed with a screwdriver, proper sized socket, & a hammer while on the road.  

duckbubbles

The original sightglass is still in my 330,000+ miles (528,000 km.) K100RS with no a problems.  (Kiss of death)

Frank

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, duckbubbles said:

The original sightglass is still in my 330,000+ miles (528,000 km.) K100RS with no a problems.  (Kiss of death)

Frank

Frank,

You made me laugh.

i am going to have a close and intimate exam of my SG and the rubber trim. If it looks OK, I will take DR’s advice, and not mess with it. I also will be on the prowl for a plastic version to carry with me.

John

dirtrider
9 minutes ago, SDCRJohn said:

Frank,

You made me laugh.

i am going to have a close and intimate exam of my SG and the rubber trim. If it looks OK, I will take DR’s advice, and not mess with it. I also will be on the prowl for a plastic version to carry with me.

John

Morning John

When looking for a plastic lens sight glass those usually have a pronounced red dot in the center.

Both Euromotelectric & Beemer Boneyard have aftermarket sight glasses, I don't think they are plastic lens type but might be worth a call. 

From the above posts, I’ll leave the original sight glass in my ‘’87 K100RT.👍

However, dirtrider, being one who likes to be prepared for emergencies what is and where does one pickup a “expanding rubber freeze plug that fit the sight glass opening” that you mentioned in the previous SG thread.

Cheers!

Paul

dirtrider
9 minutes ago, RK Ryder said:

From the above posts, I’ll leave the original sight glass in my ‘’87 K100RT.👍

However, dirtrider, being one who likes to be prepared for emergencies what is and where does one pickup a “expanding rubber freeze plug that fit the sight glass opening” that you mentioned in the previous SG thread.

Cheers!

Paul

Afternoon Paul

You want a short or shallow 1.5" rubber expanding freeze plug. If you get one that is tall it won't stay seated in the sight glass recess.

Most auto parts stores have them, the problem is in finding a short one. 

S35btfh.jpg

5 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Paul

You want a short or shallow 1.5" rubber expanding freeze plug. If you get one that is tall it won't stay seated in the sight glass recess.

S35btfh.jpg

Thanks for that DR. 

10 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Paul

S35btfh.jpg

Don't forget to check nut size, it most likely is not metric, you may have to add a cresent wrench or correct wrench size.