IGNORED

2013 R1200RT impressions

DavidR8

Had my 2013 R1200RT for a week now and put a few miles on her as well as having put 600+ miles on a 2015 while on vacation in Palo Alto. So wanted to offer up my thoughts on her.

Engine: Definitely different from an ST1300. I've heard the boxer called agricultural which is sort of accurate but also not, because at speed the engine is like no agricultural engine I've experienced. At idle, there's clearly and big twin firing off below. Off idle it is smooth and revs willingly to redline. It has plenty of torque throughout the rev range. Fueling is spot on. Sound-wise I prefer the big boxer thump to the ST whine.

Cockpit: The throttle is light and responsive without a hint of jerkiness off idle. The clutch is very light and progressive. I test rode a 2006 RT before I bought my ST. That RT had a very jerky clutch engagement so I expected a juddery engagement but the 2013 is smooth as butter pulling away. Wind management is very good. I'm 5'9" the shield does an excellent job at directing wind over my head. It could be a tad wider so there may be a different screen in the future. Controls all fall to hand very naturally for me.

Transmission: Ah yes, if there's a place where the ST shines it's the gearbox. The Beemer's gearbox is not as light and has definite clunk if first is engaged while rolling to a stop. Once stopped however, first can be selected without a sound. Going up through the gears is smooth if the shifter is preloaded. Now my 2013 has 55,000 miles on it and I have read that the gearbox improves with miles so that's a consideration. By way of comparison my ST has 42,000 miles.

Brakes: When I got my ST is was blown away by the brakes. Given the weight they have to slow down they are darn impressive. Likewise the brakes on the RT. Powerful and progressive with good feel. The biggest difference comes by way of the Telelever front suspension which prevents dive on hard braking. It's a bit disconcerting at first but with time it seems completely normal.

Suspension: My RT has ESA and there is a definite difference between normal comfort and sport, one up and two up. Here, the RT is definitely better than my ST as it feels controlled and steady in all circumstances.

Heat: Not much to say here because there is none that I can detect. Contrast that to my ST which has given my inner thigh a first degree burn on a 38 deg C day.

Ergonomics: My RT has .75" bar risers and the riding position is all-day comfortable. I have not had the chance to do an all day or multi day ride on the RT but my time on the 2015 in Palo Alto was very comfortable.

Creature comforts: Heated grips, heated seats, cruise. What's not to love?

Weight: The RT is 570 lbs all wet, the 160lb difference between an ST is significant. The weight is carried lower so the bike feels more tossable. And it's definitely easier to push around.

I liked my ST a lot. Great engine and gearbox. All day comfort.

But I really like the RT.

• Like 2

Interesting comparison between the RT and ST.  I have an ST1300 also, but got it after having three older BMW's, R1100S, R1100RT, and a K1200RS.  

The ST had several negatives for me; the weight, the front suspension, and the 5 speed trans. 

The weight is scary-heavy until you get to 5 mph where it disappears. Did you know it has two fuel tanks??

I solved the OEM front suspension problem (it was waaay soft and mushy) with heavier oil in the tubes and added an air boost to the front springs and that solved it.  It handles and rides very well now.  The 5 speed gearbox was always an annoyance, kept looking for the 6th.  After a "close ratio" 6 speed the "wide ratio" 5 speed was just hard to deal with.  You HAVE to be in the right gear going into a curve with only 5.  With 6 there is a lot more overlap.

I REALLY enjoy the engine on the ST.  It is incredible.  So smooth and powerful.  And quiet, too.  That alternator whine is unique.

Never had any problem with heat on this ST.  I've heard that some bikes were terribly hot and others weren't.  The fix seemed to be wrapping the headers, from what I read on the ST forum, and makes sense.

It's a very good innerstate machine, very comfortable on long trips, very good wind and weather protection.  It's really a little "s" and big "T" bike.  And yes, the brakes are really good.....until you have to bleed them.  It's very complicated.  I think there are 26 flexible brake lines for the linked brakes.

I used to complain bitterly about what a pain the BMW's were to work on because of how much trouble it was to remove the tupperware.  Now I don't mind it a bit.  "Everything is relative" is the old saw.  There are 18 fasteners and 8 different types ON EACH SIDE of the ST, and most are hidden.  It is a CHORE.

• Like 1
MichiganBob

Great review. I had to smile about your comments about the transmission. I've been riding Beemer twins since 1971. Six of them total, now close to 400,000 miles. When you become one wth the bike and rewire your brain and achieve muscle memory, you learn how to shift these sweetiepies smoothly. You naturally learn the speed, torque, and conditions for mastering this task. The clunk comes with the territory but can be significantly minimized.

I'm addicted to these quirky horizontal twins. And I love the way the motor communicates with me. It's not for everyone. Enjoy. Ride safe.

• Plus 1 2