IGNORED

Fuel Strip/gauge garbage.

Hadabadachada

Hadabadachada

2013 R1200R 

so When I bought this bike used from the dealer, I quickly realized the fuel strip was faulty.

I then found out that the strips are covered for 12 years.

so I got the dealer to replace it.

it’s been working fine since then, may of last year.

I noticed the other day that the gauge starts to drop now at 30 miles into the tank, vs 40-50 miles like it did.

now it shows I’m down to 31 miles left on this tank, but the light hasn’t even come on yet, which usually comes on when there’s about 34 miles left.

so we all know the fuel strips suck, but you’d think they would have had it fixed. And maybe they thought it was, but this thing is starting to fail me now.

I wonder if they would consider this strip, that was replaced less than a year ago, is covered for 12 years?

im guessing they will say they can’t help me to install a new one and I’m to just use trip 1 forever. 
or do I have to break an electric ignition lighter and play with fire next to gas

Hadabadachada

You know what let me go disconnect the battery and see first 

scratch that, still out of the ordinary tho

Camhead64

I believe that all BMW parts and labor are warranted for one year, I'd call the deal who did the work and let them know the strip has failed and schedule an appointment to get it repaired.  The replacement will NOT be warranted for 12 years.

dirtrider
12 hours ago, Hadabadachada said:

2013 R1200R 

so When I bought this bike used from the dealer, I quickly realized the fuel strip was faulty.

I then found out that the strips are covered for 12 years.

so I got the dealer to replace it.

it’s been working fine since then, may of last year.

I noticed the other day that the gauge starts to drop now at 30 miles into the tank, vs 40-50 miles like it did.

now it shows I’m down to 31 miles left on this tank, but the light hasn’t even come on yet, which usually comes on when there’s about 34 miles left.

so we all know the fuel strips suck, but you’d think they would have had it fixed. And maybe they thought it was, but this thing is starting to fail me now.

I wonder if they would consider this strip, that was replaced less than a year ago, is covered for 12 years?

im guessing they will say they can’t help me to install a new one and I’m to just use trip 1 forever. 
or do I have to break an electric ignition lighter and play with fire next to gas

Morning   Hadabadachada

If you didn't PAY for the new fuel strip then it is only covered until the 12 years is up from original purchase date. If you PAID for the fuel strip repair then it is covered under the BMW 2 year parts warranty.

In any case, it's possible that there is nothing wrong with the new fuel strip, it might just be calibrated slightly different than the old one was, OR possibly it was calibrated incorrectly,  or possibly it was not calibrated at all. 

Hadabadachada

So I filled up this morning to get a look, bike said 25 miles remaining, but only topped up with 2.8 gallons, that isn’t right. 
it shoulda taken more gas than that if there’s only 28 miles left.

im not even going to deal with it.

I’m just gonna unhook the battery to reset the ECU and see if that does anything. 

I didn’t see the low fuel light come on, I guess that’s a good thing, can maybe still depend on that? 
I guess that is separate from the fuel strip?

dirtrider
1 hour ago, Hadabadachada said:

So I filled up this morning to get a look, bike said 25 miles remaining, but only topped up with 2.8 gallons, that isn’t right. 
it shoulda taken more gas than that if there’s only 28 miles left.

im not even going to deal with it.

I’m just gonna unhook the battery to reset the ECU and see if that does anything. 

I didn’t see the low fuel light come on, I guess that’s a good thing, can maybe still depend on that? 
I guess that is separate from the fuel strip?

Afternoon  Hadabadachada

On the 2013 1200R the low fuel light sensor should be separate from the fuel gauge fuel strip.