IGNORED

Motorcycle Dash Cam

Dans08

I'm thinking about a forward and rear recording dash cam for the bike. I see Innovv has a nice one, the K6 which records in 30FPS.

Which dash cam have you guy's found to be durable and, produce good quality recorded video?

• chrisolson featured this topic

Although I don't have one of the "really good" full time video rigs on my bike, this one has done me well for at least 300,000 miles so far.

It's an old GoPro Hero 4 that I used to just clip and tape to the front of the bike.  That left a lot to be desired and the camera did shake a bit, but got the job done to protect me when some citizen said I ran a red light.  (Twice).

Basically, that's the main reason I mounted it, was for MY protection.

However, when I saw this particular mount one day I just had to get it.   Took six months to actually get it in stock or something but I've been very happy with it.   The camera is rock solid and I haven't had to adjust anything over the last two Sturgis runs.

It's a simple setup and not as elegant as the commercial units that are out there but it does fit my needs.

I used to run just batteries with it but that got to be a pain changing and charging them out all the time so now it's powered by it's own battery pack sitting in my tank bag and connected to the rear of the camera for full time power.  It can run about 14 hours before I need to change the battery and that gets done in the motel for the night. :)

AD

i-sTD969M-M.jpg

I have the Innovv K2 and been using it for 4+ years. I had the K1 on a previous bike. Both have been overall reliable and I really don't worry about the camera, it just turns on a records whenever I start the bike. I upload some video now and then and its pretty good quality and besides incidents that I have caught on camera - a few near misses with deer, a couple of road rage drivers and unusual vehicles, I've also used some clips for scenery if I fail to have my 360 camera running. It's not the same quality of the most recent GoPros or 360 cameras, but the more recent K5 and K6 have higher resolution and better cameras I'm sure. The quality of the hardware is good and I met the owner of the company a number of years ago at an AIM Expo and he seemed very involved in his product development. Tech support was good and I had to replace DVR years ago due to problem upon purchase.

The purpose of these are dashcams, you want to install, ride and forget. They will just record and are hard mounted so unlikely anyone would try and steal. GoPros, Action cameras and 360 cameras are not the same - you need to charge, replace memory cards, remember to turn on, etc. These just work each time you ride. They are primarily to record incidents and hopefully, but possibly accidents. They can work for YouTube video and such, but that is not the intended purpose.

I have a friend who also has a Innovv K2 on his Goldwing and he has had no issues with his.

I had the Innovv K5 on the RT, but have removed it to be replaced with THIS DASH CAM.    The reason I removed it was because I thought the parking monitor prematurely killed my 3 year old battery.  The camera is energized by key-on power, but how does it monitor a parking lot incident with the igniiton off?  Answer:  there is still  power to the DVR as indicated by a light on the main unit; it has to record the parking incident somehow, right?

Another issue was where I mounted the front camera.    I found a video online that showed a bracket made to fit between the (not sure of the term) winglets below the headlight assembly.

20220806_121642.thumb.jpg.a039ef9288fa136c114f13aacf031093.jpg

20220806_121657.thumb.jpg.970a1afdb29affb9bc1f30a9f1a8f9f3.jpg

The problem that I encountered was movement with the suspension cycling.   I ran the harness (incorrectly) and zip tied it.   Then I would end up with video of the road;  the mount was isolated with rubber camera gimbals, and still had movement.  :dopeslap:   i tried to run the harness higher and kept it away from suspension movement, but still encountered aiming problems.  In an online video, which I cannot find now, it showed that bracket formed to the exact width between the winglets.   I do not have skills, or equipment, to precisely machine said bracket and ended up with what you see in the photos.  No vibrations, but it can be moved because of the rubber bushings (camera gimbals).   I read some online reviews that recommended switching the cameras, front to rear. Through the app, you can reverse them.  The one shown in the photo for the front camera contains the DVR, which added to the weight and contributed to the movement from suspension travel.

As far as video, I did not have issues with the quality (other than showing the road speeding by due to the aim.)  When there were no issues, it was fine.   My cellphone is not 5G and that made the WiFi video download, via the app, rather slow.  Plus, you had to have the ignition on to power the DVR/camera in order to download videos.  Another reason my battery may have drained more than it needed to.  LOL

I removed the K5 and eventually installed https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09NKX9VZV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1   The DVR for this dashcam is tucked up under the area behind the passenger seat.   To access video from the micro sd card, I have to pull the seats off to access it.  Meh.  I just leave it until I need video from one of the ART rides,  It has been a while since I have downloaded any video, but from what I have looked at, it is not too bad.

Just another perspective for you to consider.

I've been running these in my car for several years, and I've mounted them on a bike or two.  

https://www.amazon.com/ROVE-R2-4K-PRO-Dashcam-Supports/dp/B0BZRKRBHP/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3BDAUYTQ9KZZY&keywords=rove+r2-4k+car+dash+cam&qid=1707518143&sprefix=rove+%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

Advantages:

Much lower initial cost

GPS works very well, is built- in (no extra fee for an antenna, and Innov blog has several comments on their GPS problems)

It records in loops, several choices for file lengths,  and supports a 512gb card

Video is really good

Night vision

24 hr parking mode

Screen built-in and control settings visible on screen

See the amazon description for more on wifi, etc.

G sensor to protect recordings after and accident

Disadvantages:

Just one cam, but at this price you can buy 2 and still be way ahead.

Not waterproof

No native image stabilization*

Suction cup mount needs adhesive.

Larger than the Innov, maybe, but everything is all in one unit. (nuthin under the seat)

*Aftermarket software does a good job with image stabilization now.

image.thumb.png.2e08debea5f7c83cb3d7061f4f469449.png

• Like 1

Thanks all. The replies help with the decision to add a dash cam to the bike and I see that it is a good idea, especially these days.

I wonder, is it posible to install the Innovv unit in a car if I was to sell the bike?

Lowndes, that looks like a great option for my car. Thanks for posting it.

The only issue installing the Innovv unit in a car would be the harness length, which you can cut and splice by adding wire to lengthen.  The unit will not know the difference between the number of wheels.  It just needs 12v for power.  

Have you purchased the dash cam yet?   I may have a slightly used one available.  PM me if you are interested.

many on another k1600 forum recommend the Innov K3 or k5...believe the k5 has a faster refresh rate, so better video.  Im kind of a wuss in dealing with the electrical side of things, thus have not bought one.  But with moronic drivers, one should have them

Edited by flames9
spelling
  • Plus 1 1
81delorean

I put front and rear cameras on my bike a few years ago and moved them to the BMW when I got it. Fairly inexpensive, app works well, some nice features, and can't hardly notice them when they're mounted, picture is good. I have them more for evidence than anything. I never go back and look at my rides or anything. I have them hooked into my Healtech Thunderbox so they come on automatically when the bike is running and shut off when the bike shuts off. I can post pictures of them on my bike if you're interested. Here's a link

https://www.amazon.com/VSYSTO-D6WL-Motorcycle-Waterproof-Recording/dp/B09LCJ5351/ref=sr_1_21?crid=17LYVRMG7IVAW&keywords=motorcycle+dash+cam+front+and+rear&qid=1707575443&sprefix=motorcycle+das%2Caps%2C530&sr=8-21

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 81delorean said:

I put front and rear cameras on my bike a few years ago and moved them to the BMW when I got it. Fairly inexpensive, app works well, some nice features, and can't hardly notice them when they're mounted, picture is good. I have them more for evidence than anything. I never go back and look at my rides or anything. I have them hooked into my Healtech Thunderbox so they come on automatically when the bike is running and shut off when the bike shuts off. I can post pictures of them on my bike if you're interested. Here's a link

https://www.amazon.com/VSYSTO-D6WL-Motorcycle-Waterproof-Recording/dp/B09LCJ5351/ref=sr_1_21?crid=17LYVRMG7IVAW&keywords=motorcycle+dash+cam+front+and+rear&qid=1707575443&sprefix=motorcycle+das%2Caps%2C530&sr=8-21

Was the healtech thunderbox easy to install??   By the video on their website, it looks very simple....attach cable to the battery, then whatever device to the proper terminal box??  

81delorean
44 minutes ago, flames9 said:

Was the healtech thunderbox easy to install??   By the video on their website, it looks very simple....attach cable to the battery, then whatever device to the proper terminal box??  

It is as simple as that. had it on my Vstrom, bought another for the BMW.  I don't like cutting and splicing wires at all. Well worth the $80 to me. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M Novack said:

And this is why you have a dash cam:

I'd put that in the category of:  Why it's a bad idea to ride in groups.

The Wing pulled out in front of the passing SUV and really wiped his nose, probably overly concentrated on staying with the riders ahead. The bikes are three individual vehicles, so  just having room for the first bike does not mean there is room for the second and third. Slower Traffic Keep Right means you don't camp out in the left lane, it also means you STAY right if you are already being passed. Which does not mean the passing vehicle is alongside, it means that you will impede its progress before you return to the right lane.

The SUV driver is indeed an freaking insane raging idiot, but I'd have been pissed too  Difference is, I restrict my rage to mental cursing.

I've watched enough YouTube dashcam videos to know they can be very useful. Though I keep looking to see what is available, I don't think I would be satisfied unless I could capture license plates, and I'm not finding cameras that will do that reliably.  If I ever do, I'm sure it will cost twice what I'm willing to pay for a non-essential item, so it may be a long time before my bike sports a camera.

As a lawyer told us in a CCW talk a few months back, "We do NOT have a JUSTICE SYSTEM in this country; we have a LEGAL system. And, it's not about "what happened", it's ONLY about what you can PROVE happened."  Without a video or independent witnesses (that stick around) of the accident it's your word against his.  

I always thought the Insta360 camera would be a good dash cam, except for the power supply.  You would be catching everything around you, front, back, and both sides all in one.  It might not have the resolution to catch license plate numbers but it will sure show who was on who's side of the centerline, what color the light was, etc.  And maybe not just for you but those around you, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Insta360-Official-Sticker-Set-Stabilization/dp/B0C2C8YG8B/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1OUQKNAU1HVE2&keywords=360%2Bcamera%2Bfor%2Bmotorcycle&qid=1707590113&sprefix=360%2Bcam%2Caps%2C124&sr=8-2-spons&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.c3015c4a-46bb-44b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

On 2/10/2024 at 12:33 PM, lkraus said:

I'd put that in the category of:  Why it's a bad idea to ride in groups.

The Wing pulled out in front of the passing SUV and really wiped his nose, probably overly concentrated on staying with the riders ahead. The bikes are three individual vehicles, so  just having room for the first bike does not mean there is room for the second and third. Slower Traffic Keep Right means you don't camp out in the left lane, it also means you STAY right if you are already being passed. Which does not mean the passing vehicle is alongside, it means that you will impede its progress before you return to the right lane.

The SUV driver is indeed an freaking insane raging idiot, but I'd have been pissed too  Difference is, I restrict my rage to mental cursing.

I've watched enough YouTube dashcam videos to know they can be very useful. Though I keep looking to see what is available, I don't think I would be satisfied unless I could capture license plates, and I'm not finding cameras that will do that reliably.  If I ever do, I'm sure it will cost twice what I'm willing to pay for a non-essential item, so it may be a long time before my bike sports a camera.

As I recall there was some aggressive activity going on before my friend pulled over to stay with the group and I recall some communications of getting over and then letting guy pass after truck. The hostility of the driver towards us and other cars occurred well before the Goldwing pulled in front of him but I don't have the footage anymore. We were all 3 in communications with our comms as the situation unfolded, also a good reason to have comms when riding in groups.

• Like 3
On 2/10/2024 at 9:37 AM, 81delorean said:

I ordered the same unit and waiting on some good weather to install.  The YouTube reviews were decent but all of them skipped how they wired to their bikes and the wiring information is vague.  You can wire direct to battery and there is another wire for ignition on but I am not a electro wizard so I am not wholly sure what that will do if it is already wired direct to the battery.  I was thinking of finding a separate ignition on power source (horn or signal lights) to draw positive from through a fused line.  Does this make any sense?  I would love some really dumbed down instructions.

Capt Sisko

I've been using a K3 systems for the last three and a half years, cameras permanently fixed to the bike, hard wired so it comes on with the ignition switch and as far as I'm aware it's never missed a beat. It's been rained on, snowed on, had salted road spray thrown at it and jet washed and always just works. The connectors are all colour coded & screw together for a weather proof seal and the 'black box' lives under the seat. Yes they are expensive when compared to some others, but if you're looking for something discrete, reliable and permanently fixed, you won't go far wrong with an Innovv system.

(and no, I don't work for them)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, JZ67 said:

I ordered the same unit and waiting on some good weather to install.  The YouTube reviews were decent but all of them skipped how they wired to their bikes and the wiring information is vague.  You can wire direct to battery and there is another wire for ignition on but I am not a electro wizard so I am not wholly sure what that will do if it is already wired direct to the battery.  I was thinking of finding a separate ignition on power source (horn or signal lights) to draw positive from through a fused line.  Does this make any sense?  I would love some really dumbed down instructions.

Sounds like the healtech thunderbox (mentioned earlier) should work fairly easily???

81delorean
12 hours ago, JZ67 said:

Invest in the Healtec Thunderbox. The camera will plug right into the thunderbox, comes on automatically after the bike is running (5 seconds or so) and shuts off after the bike is shut off (again about 5 seconds or so after). The other thing with the thunderbox is you'll have extra open slots to add any accessories you want and not have to splice into existing wiring. Makes life simple, like my brain is.  

15 hours ago, 81delorean said:

Invest in the Healtec Thunderbox. The camera will plug right into the thunderbox, comes on automatically after the bike is running (5 seconds or so) and shuts off after the bike is shut off (again about 5 seconds or so after). The other thing with the thunderbox is you'll have extra open slots to add any accessories you want and not have to splice into existing wiring. Makes life simple, like my brain is.  

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

On 2/9/2024 at 4:38 PM, M Novack said:

I have the Innovv K2 and been using it for 4+ years. I had the K1 on a previous bike. Both have been overall reliable and I really don't worry about the camera, it just turns on a records whenever I start the bike. I upload some video now and then and its pretty good quality and besides incidents that I have caught on camera - a few near misses with deer, a couple of road rage drivers and unusual vehicles, I've also used some clips for scenery if I fail to have my 360 camera running. It's not the same quality of the most recent GoPros or 360 cameras, but the more recent K5 and K6 have higher resolution and better cameras I'm sure. The quality of the hardware is good and I met the owner of the company a number of years ago at an AIM Expo and he seemed very involved in his product development. Tech support was good and I had to replace DVR years ago due to problem upon purchase.

The purpose of these are dashcams, you want to install, ride and forget. They will just record and are hard mounted so unlikely anyone would try and steal. GoPros, Action cameras and 360 cameras are not the same - you need to charge, replace memory cards, remember to turn on, etc. These just work each time you ride. They are primarily to record incidents and hopefully, but possibly accidents. They can work for YouTube video and such, but that is not the intended purpose.

I have a friend who also has a Innovv K2 on his Goldwing and he has had no issues with his.

Thank you. I like what the Innovv K6 has to offer.

Look what I found!!  THE missing piece of the  puzzle.  A water "resistant" USB power cord for the Insta 360 cam.  Now you don't have to continually swap batteries.  It looks like all the feature we need for a "dash cam" are in one cam now; plug-in power, loop recording, GPS tracking, wifi to phone, image stabilization, 360° coverage, G sensor protection, decent resolution (5.7K 360 Active HDR video).  This might be a deal maker for me.  

image.thumb.png.6a466348b00d93a122ad54e064c45ed5.png

2 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

Look what I found!!  THE missing piece of the  puzzle.  A water "resistant" USB power cord for the Insta 360 cam.  Now you don't have to continually swap batteries.  It looks like all the feature we need for a "dash cam" are in one cam now; plug-in power, loop recording, GPS tracking, wifi to phone, image stabilization, 360° coverage, G sensor protection, decent resolution (5.7K 360 Active HDR video).  This might be a deal maker for me.  

image.thumb.png.6a466348b00d93a122ad54e064c45ed5.png

Only issues that might prevent it from being a true dash cam would be:

1. need to remember to power it on, dedicated dash cams power on automatically with ignition.

2. no GPS data tagging unless you use your phone or the remote that provides GPS recording, maybe this is not needed on x3

3. need to find a way to make it theft proof, a little hard wired somewhat hidden dash cam is not a big theft liability (never worried someone would steal mine) but an Insta360 camera would be a target.

Also, I have a 360x2, so not sure of all specs of x3, but there is a file size limit, but loop recording may solve that if will keep recording and erase oldest footage first so don't run out of space or stop recording. Not sure if will be any heat issues with camera exposed and recording all the time in high temps.

On 2/13/2024 at 7:46 PM, 81delorean said:

Is the TB-U02 the correct unit?  At $200.00 CAD, it is an expensive way to wire in a dashcam but I am all for making sure it is wired correctly without messing up the electronics.  I am sure there is a way to safely wire this unit without the added cost though. 

23 minutes ago, JZ67 said:

Is the TB-U02 the correct unit?  At $200.00 CAD, it is an expensive way to wire in a dashcam but I am all for making sure it is wired correctly without messing up the electronics.  I am sure there is a way to safely wire this unit without the added cost though. 

Is your bike a CanBUS wiring system??

44 minutes ago, M Novack said:

Only issues that might prevent it from being a true dash cam would be:

1. need to remember to power it on, dedicated dash cams power on automatically with ignition.

2. no GPS data tagging unless you use your phone or the remote that provides GPS recording, maybe this is not needed on x3

3. need to find a way to make it theft proof, a little hard wired somewhat hidden dash cam is not a big theft liability (never worried someone would steal mine) but an Insta360 camera would be a target.

Also, I have a 360x2, so not sure of all specs of x3, but there is a file size limit, but loop recording may solve that if will keep recording and erase oldest footage first so don't run out of space or stop recording. Not sure if will be any heat issues with camera exposed and recording all the time in high temps.

1.  connect the power to a key-switched circuit and you are there.

2. Good point.  Need to look into a remote GPS antenna for it, maybe.

3. Remove all the wingnuts on the ram type mount and replace them with torx security screws (looks like a torx screw on the cradle/mounting frame), plus a safety wire to the frame should make it sufficiently difficult to remove/disconnect without the tools and time to figure it out.  Maybe an alarm system, too.

I believe I read that the 360 does loop recording like a dash cam.  

Good points, M Novack!!  I need to do some more research.  Thanks!!

8 hours ago, JZ67 said:

you can go with the TB-U01, it has only 1 16amp terminal (1 live/ground)  

8 hours ago, Lowndes said:

1.  connect the power to a key-switched circuit and you are there.

The Key switched power idea will give camera power, but I don't think the camera will turn on a begin recording automatically. You will always need to remember to switch on power and push record with every ride. The Inovv dash cam on my bike and Garmin in my car, I never have to hit  any buttons, they just power on and start up. Not saying this won't work but it will rely on remembering to turn on. I use REVER to record/log all my rides, but it required starting the App and hitting record to work, 99% of the time I do, 0.5% of time I get a mile down road and realize I didn't start recording and 0.5% of time I just forget. Inevitably you will forget one time and that could be the time you need the footage. Why I found a dedicated dash cam best. I love my Insta360 for YouTube and videos, its great.

9 hours ago, Lowndes said:

Is your bike a CanBUS wiring system??

I don't know.  How would I find out?  And if it is?

37 minutes ago, JZ67 said:

I don't know.  How would I find out?  And if it is?

What year is it?

81delorean
11 hours ago, JZ67 said:

I've got the TB-U01 . It depends on how many terminals you want for how ever many accessories you think you'll add in the future. TB-U01 has 5, U02 has 10. It's also less expensive. 

10 hours ago, TSConver said:

Yes it is canbus.  $229 US for the right one.  https://www.hexinnovate.com/product/hex-ezcan-r1200/

I'm guessing the answer is that I need to have an accessory hub in order to wire the dashcam in safely?

My bike has heated seats but it looks like the rider seat was replaced with a seat without wiring.  I was thinking of connecting the dashcam to the heated seat power supply and turning the cam on and off with the switch.  No good? 

1 hour ago, JZ67 said:

I'm guessing the answer is that I need to have an accessory hub in order to wire the dashcam in safely?

My bike has heated seats but it looks like the rider seat was replaced with a seat without wiring.  I was thinking of connecting the dashcam to the heated seat power supply and turning the cam on and off with the switch.  No good? 

No that is modulated to control temperature.

Spoiler
17 hours ago, JZ67 said:

Coincidentally, there is a motorcycle show in town this weekend and the reps for Hex were there and I could order this unit.  $475.00 Canadian.  It's a bit much to wire in a $125 dashcam.   

The alternative would be to wire it directly to the battery and include a toggle switch (maybe lighted to show/remind you it's ON).  This way you could leave it ON while eating lunch to "keep an eye on the bikes".  If you park in front of windows, which frequently happens anyway, you get a reflection that covers your entire bike and possibly others, and wifi lets you see everything on your phone while you eat.  With the 360 you would get the full coverage anyway.

I believe there are much less expensive alternatives to Hex out there.  One benefit would be the availability of circuits for other accessories.

On 2/18/2024 at 7:33 AM, Lowndes said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The alternative would be to wire it directly to the battery and include a toggle switch (maybe lighted to show/remind you it's ON).  This way you could leave it ON while eating lunch to "keep an eye on the bikes".  If you park in front of windows, which frequently happens anyway, you get a reflection that covers your entire bike and possibly others, and wifi lets you see everything on your phone while you eat.  With the 360 you would get the full coverage anyway.

I believe there are much less expensive alternatives to Hex out there.  One benefit would be the availability of circuits for other accessories.

Took a good look at the dashcam unit and there is a USB cable in the box.  I am going to go with one of these as it should plug right into my battery tender line and it is switchable while giving me a cleaner option to plug in my phone as well

13 hours ago, JZ67 said:

Took a good look at the dashcam unit and there is a USB cable in the box.  I am going to go with one of these as it should plug right into my battery tender line and it is switchable while giving me a cleaner option to plug in my phone as well

I did the exact same thing with the SAE plug (Battery Tender) and a unit just like that one on several bikes.  Works as an ON/OFF switch for the cam as well.  And lets you keep an eye on your battery voltage, too.  And has an extra USB outlet to charge something else if needed.

• chrisolson unfeatured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone with an 1100/1150 RT caer to share where/how you mounted your Innov?  Just purchased one and am looking for ideas.  Thinking about mounting to my RAM mount I have for the phone but not sure about the vibration and the clarity going through the windscreen.

M Novack
1 hour ago, djbock said:

Anyone with an 1100/1150 RT caer to share where/how you mounted your Innov?  Just purchased one and am looking for ideas.  Thinking about mounting to my RAM mount I have for the phone but not sure about the vibration and the clarity going through the windscreen.

I have my dashcam mounted behind the screen on my 2010 RT. Works pretty well but need to keep screen clean and sometimes sun can cause a glare. I created a custom mount on the NAV rail and using a SmallRig camera mount.

innovv.jpg

5 hours ago, M Novack said:

I have my dashcam mounted behind the screen on my 2010 RT. Works pretty well but need to keep screen clean and sometimes sun can cause a glare. I created a custom mount on the NAV rail and using a SmallRig camera mount.

Thanks.  Was hoping to use one of the open spots on my Migsel mount but the 3/8" bolt is too big for the mounts that came with the camera.