IGNORED

Rock oil

Dingo55

Hi all 

Apologies 

Yes it's a brand name out of the UK I understand

A local motorcycle mechanic who "might" be servicing my 1200/1250 says that that is all he uses

Just wondering if it meets the high quality specs that gets talked about a lot on this forum

Wouldn't want to do any damage to these beautiful machines out of ignorance

I have previously used Castrol Power 1 Racing 5W-40T thinking that met specs but now I'm not so sure

Am I now a fully fledged forum member given I may have started an oil thread :3:

Cheers 

Mark 

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 2
realshelby

I have used hundreds of gallons of rock oil!

It is what you put in JOY and INGERSOLL-RAND air powered drills used for drilling blast holes! It is a total loss system that feeds into the air going to the air motors on the tram system and the hammer type drill head. Operators position.....was more or less under the drill head. Guess where the oil would fall........

joy-ram-air-track-drill.jpg

• Like 1
On 2/9/2024 at 1:11 PM, Dingo55 said:

I have previously used Castrol Power 1 Racing 5W-40T thinking that met specs but now I'm not so sure

I use Castrol Power1 5w/40 4T, and it absolutely meets (and probably exceeds) BMW specs. The racing version might not, but just check its specs. And buy any oil you want that meets them:).

2 hours ago, Dan M said:

Does it meet JASO MA2 rating?

That's all you need.

Also must be API SL.  The difference is that API SL has a limit on phosphorus that JASO MA2 doesn't have.  That's why Rotella T6 can be JASO MA2 and not API rated.  Ostensibly the phosphorous limit in API SL is to protect catalytic converters from being poisoned. Although, catalytic converter protection seems to be a requirement of JASO MA2 as well - without a restriction on phosphorous content. Go figure.

The manual for my 2020 calls for 'API SL / JASO MA2' (not SN), which is exactly what Castrol Power1 5w40 4T is. I don't see why other 1250s have to be different, when nothing changed. Maybe R1300s changed.

SL is right (Advantec meets the SN spec). Same comment on phosphorous though.  Sometimes I just can't type. Good catch. Fixed.

realshelby

Just because SN is supposed to supersede SL per API.....that is not a guarantee. It may well do that in this case. BUT there ARE examples where a later API designation did NOT meet requirements of early codes. Big deal? Who knows.....

Oil viscosity isn't mentioned much, but 5-40 wt  wasn't all that common when the Wetheads came out.  

Dave_in_TX
22 minutes ago, realshelby said:

Just because SN is supposed to supersede SL per API.....that is not a guarantee. It may well do that in this case. BUT there ARE examples where a later API designation did NOT meet requirements of early codes. Big deal? Who knows.....

Oil viscosity isn't mentioned much, but 5-40 wt  wasn't all that common when the Wetheads came out.  

This is from the API website:

"For automotive gasoline engines, the latest engine oil service category includes the performance properties of each earlier category."

realshelby

Yes, that is what API says. But try running API SN in your 1971 BOSS 351 with its solid lifters and see how that holds up! They require friction modifiers that are not present in SN due to emission components being damaged by them. This is exactly why some were running diesel oils in gasoline engines ( until they had these components removed too). 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

This is from the API website:

"For automotive gasoline engines, the latest engine oil service category includes the performance properties of each earlier category."

I got burned by that statement when they started adding energy-conserving friction reducers to automotive oil.  The engines on a 72 Honda and a 82 Yamaha were fine with a newer category oil,  but the clutches were not.  The difference was pretty minor on the Seca, but the CB100 could no longer pop a wheelie.  It was years before the Internet taught me that there were MA oils. So though the performance properties may be "improved," they may no longer be suitable for a particular application.

• Like 1

A friend of mine does not run any type of modern oil in his '47 Indian. Tight tolerances are not an issue on that motor!  He gets his from the local airport, used in old school airplane engines. He says it has ashe in it, not sure that is true or not, but it is definitely non-detergent. He has to use a lead additive for the fuel too.

Does any of this matter to the current discussion here? Nope. But oil thread!

• Smile 1
  • Thinking 1

He is probably getting Aeroshell 100 50W.  When I had my airhead, I use to buy 100LL at the local airport and sometimes 130LL.  I kept a 5 gallon jug of it in my hangar.  With the bikes post airhead, I believe they all have cats on them so lead is a no no.

• Like 1

Maybe a revisit of this thread gets through the debate faster

Or, let’s get dizzy on oil again

image.gif.1a7705bd095052ada146b408fdb86f67.gif 

• Like 2
Dave_in_TX
11 hours ago, lkraus said:

I got burned by that statement when they started adding energy-conserving friction reducers to automotive oil.  The engines on a 72 Honda and a 82 Yamaha were fine with a newer category oil,  but the clutches were not.  The difference was pretty minor on the Seca, but the CB100 could no longer pop a wheelie.  It was years before the Internet taught me that there were MA oils. So though the performance properties may be "improved," they may no longer be suitable for a particular application.

That is why you need an oil that meets both the API spec and JASO spec called out by the bike manufacturer. For the watercooled bikes BMW gives an API and JASO spec. The oil must meet both.