IGNORED

Enclosed trailer parking locations

coopeh1305

coopeh1305

I am planning a trip in the spring through the northeast states on way to Nova Scotia from Muskoka. Because my passenger cannot ride for the long hours required to get to our final destination we will trailer (enclosed) our 1250RT the long distances and park it at a lodging for a few days and do day trips from the lodging. Looking for suggestions for places to safely park vehicle and trailer for a day or two while on day trips when we don't have a predetermined place to stay.

Have seen suggestions like smaller regional airport and RV sites. Don't think leaving the vehicle and trailer in a mall or superstore parking lot is a good idea.

Any comments would be appreciated. Yes when I travel alone, I don't use the trailer.

Recently went around Lake Superior. https://lakesuperiorcircletour.info/lake-superior-circle-tour-by-motorcycle/ has lots of useful info.

I used to ride to Texas and Louisiana in early November each year and hauled the bike as far as Metropolis, IL the first 2 years.  The sheriff let me use their parking lot.  He and Superman kept an eye on it for me.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
beemerboy

Are you an MOA member? If so, you can search their app or refer to the book they send out each year listing members who will provide storage, mechanical help, tools, truck & trailer hauling help for broken down riders, a place to sleep, or just plain 'ol coffee for riders. The listings are by state and city and include contact info. I've provided storage space for BMWST members and MOA members. If you're not a member, please give it some thought because there's lots of really good folks out there eager to make your ride experience all it can be.

When trailering, especially without a pre-determined route, we always rent nice motels where I can park the bike in front of the room, and trailer/tow vehicle right across (vehicle in front of the trailer, blocking it -back of the trailer facing the street). When we have a pre-determined route, I typically rent an airbnb suitable for that. But in small towns like Maggie Valley, we always go for the motel (more convenient). Hope this helps.

szurszewski

Most of mid level hotels/motels will let you park in the lot if you stay there a night, so you could arrive in the evening, stay a night, take the bike and leave the truck and trailer for a day or two of riding, and then repeat as needed. I'm sure about any hotel outside of those in large city centers would be happy to have your truck/trailer in the lot if you stayed the night you arrived and then again the night before you headed to the next destination. 

Rinkydink

I book a hotel in the town I want to base out of for the first night. Every hotel has always let me park in their lot. I book a room for my return trip at that hotel and there has never been a problem. There are no security provisions implied but I’ve never had a problem. I have insurance. 

• Like 1

BMW anonymous book is a great source.   If you are a member of MOA it is a perk.  I know some folks who subscribe each year to be sure to get the latest edition

• Like 1