IGNORED

Thanks Whip!

Dennis Andress

Dennis Andress

And Mr Olson too!

I have taken over as the owner of this discussion board. I'll explain myself in another thread. This is a place to thank Larry and Chris Olson for their time and effort. (Chris isn't going anywhere, yet deserves thanks for some big things over the last four years.) Larry is unlikely to visit anytime soon, so if you can contact him directly that might be a good thing.

Whip provided the motivation, and in many cases the financing for a few extraordinary events. And, along with Chris they selected the new forum software (from a pile of contenders) and made the migration to it.

Please add any experiences you've had with Whip.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
39 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

Larry is unlikely to visit anytime soon, so if you can contact him directly that might be a good thing

Hope all is well with him.

I got to meet him for the first time at the UnRally in Canaan Valley, WV.   It was quite an honor.   

Thanks for all you did, Whip!

Also, kudos to Chris Olson for keeping the forum running smoothly.   

I cannot forget a shout-out to the moderators, who keep us in check.

Thanks y'all!

Cheers!

• Plus 1 1

Went to three UN rallies that Whip sponsored. All 3 were fun but Red Lodge was epic! Hope we see you around in the future. 

Big thanks to all the moderators for keeping this place civil and especially to Chris for his work on the nuts and bolts of the site. 

• Like 4
RandyShields

Dennis, thank you very much for stepping up to run the board.  Much appreciated in advance.

Whip, thank you for your time and effort over the past many years.  Your leadership was important and necessary.  On a personal note, I also appreciate you generously hosting many of us at your house in Salida for the annual trips to Torrey.  And I am still grateful for your timely arrangements to have a rear tire personally delivered to my door at the Chuckwagen by Brian T after a flat! My eventful Westward Ho ride, and your tour guide/host role, will always be fondly remembered.Whip.thumb.jpeg.a7309bd35b184ef959d8c5ec5000dec0.jpeg

• Like 9

Whip letting go of ownership hopefully doesn't mean less Whip at events.  Love the dude, owner or not.  Loved all the UN's he sponsored and am thankful for all the times he's hosted people at his place.  He's always given his all for us.

This included my K1200GT being eaten by Gremlins on the Red Lodge UN run.  Not only did he host me for an extra week after everyone headed for home and got me out on a day ride over Independence Pass on his KTM 990 SMT.  The dude spent time and gas money trailering my broke down ass bike the 190 miles each way to Grand Junction, CO to the only place he trusted to work on it.  Then after they fixed it, made the same 190 mile each way trip to make sure I was safely on my way home.  Dude wouldn't take my money and was just happy to help.

I'm also thankful for his ownership and vision for the website when he took over from Fernando.  The change in forum software he and Chris moved us to makes updating pics and member access while still on the road a lot better, not to mention trying to come up with ways to bring back interaction from members while our numbers shrank.  I've got many miles of smiles riding with Whip and hopefully many more to come.

• Like 7
marcopolo

Thanks for everything, Whip. You sure moved the ship-of-state along. And, you were always very generous to me, and many others. All the best. 

And, a big thank you to Chris, and all the moderators, for all that they do to keep this thing running. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 3

Thank you @Whip for keeping this forum going and updating it with @chrisolson . I hope to see and catch up with both of you guys at a future Un or ART event. 
Thank you @Dennis Andressfor taking over the (flying)Ship. A huge Thank you to Chris and all the moderators. 

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 3
szurszewski

I have a bunch of pics of Larry - I found one with me in it and won't post that, but many with my kid, my wife, his - at the time - wife, and lots and lots of dogs... but if I had to choose one, how about this one? Who doesn't love a guy that asks a seven year old if he can start a fire and then hands him a blow torch?

IMG_0103.thumb.JPG.2a550e337a7f4bd19d880462f1eeb68e.JPG

So many interactions I - and my family - would have missed if not for Larry's contributions both before and while he was the owner. 

I look forward to many more in the future. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
roadscholar

Larry doing what Larry does, helping you fix your stuff.

IMG_1977.JPG

It took awhile but I finally got him to ride off-road, he wasn't too keen originally but kept at it and became quite proficient. 

IMG_2076.JPG

More than anything though he enjoyed riding and hanging out with friends.

IMG_2024.JPG

IMG_2028.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_1799.JPG

IMG_1797.JPG

IMG_1845.JPG

IMG_1882.JPG

You done good buddy, real good, thanks for all of it.

IMG_1881.JPG

• Like 4

Thanks for accepting the responsibility for leadership, maintenance, and in the end keeping this thing afloat! To the both of you ... your generosity was much appreciated.

• Like 1

Welcome Dennis!  Thanks for taking over.  

Larry and Chris saw the board through a period of major software change, and a new operating philosophy.  I think a lot was Larry's vision, but Chris did most of the heavy lifting to implement it.  There was a lot of work involved in transitioning to the new software, and Chris did it tirelessly.  It's still a lot of work with frequent updates coming from the vendor that require considerable effort to implement.  

Larry's commitment and generosity was a thing of legend.