IGNORED

Spain & Portugal with World of BMW - Lots of piccies!

BitScribbler

BitScribbler

Just got back from 10 days travelling around Northern Spain and Portugal with the World of BMW. We had a truly great time.

From Santander we headed through the Picos mountains to the Parador at Fuente De. Nice roads!

Fuente De Road.jpg

In fact, Northern Spain has the most spectacular biking roads you could wish for, and almost no traffic either. We headed south down to Salamanca, at one point passing alongside and ultimately across a reservoir.

Riana Reservoir 1.jpg

Riana Reservoir 2.jpg

Riana Reservoir 3.jpg

SWMBO guarded the bike while I snapped away:

Riana Road.jpg

We milled about in Salamanca in the early evening:

Salamanca Square.jpg

Salamanca Theatre.jpg

Here's the main square:

Salamanca Main Square 2.jpg

The next day we walked by the river:

Salamanca Road Bridge.jpg

and examined the famous Roman bridge:

Salamanca Roman Bridge 3.jpg

Then on to the cathedral:

Salamanca Cathedral Entrance.jpg

and discovered you could tour the top.

Salamanca Roof Tops 1.jpg

Salamanca Roof Tops 2.jpg

Into the nearby church to examine the cloister:

Salamanca Church Cloister 1.jpg

From Salamanca we headed west into Portugal, aiming for the Douro valley and the Pousada at Mesao Frio:

Mesao Frio Pousada.jpg

The views from our balcony were pretty good:

Douro Valley 1.jpg

Douro Valley 2.jpg

The following morning we headed down to Porto. The hotel was right in the centre, by the river. Here's some of our fellow travellers cheered by actually navigating there successfully:

Porto Bikes 2.jpg

Porto is situated spectacularly on the Douro river.

Porto Roof Tops.jpg

Porto River View 1.jpg

Porto River View 2.jpg

Leaving Porto we headed north back into Spain, to Santiago de Compostela. Once more into a cathedral:

Santiago Cathedral Front.jpg

Our guide had arranged a special tour of the roof. We didn't quite think he meant actually blundering around on the roof, but that's what transpired. Brilliant!

Santiago Cathedral Roof Top 1.jpg

Some good views from the roof:

Santiago Roof Tops 1.jpg

Santiago Roof Tops 2.jpg

Santiago Roof Tops 8.jpg

and even some "arty" shots:

Santiago Cathedral Outline.jpg

Santiago Cathedral Statues.jpg

Santiago Cathedral Tower.jpg

The next day we just had to visit Fisterra (or Finisterre, of the shipping forecast), the most westerly point in Spain. First we headed for the viewpoint overlooking Ribeira:

Ribeira Coastline 2.jpg

being careful to avoid the wild life:

Ribeira Horses 2.jpg

Ribeira Horses 3.jpg

I'm not sure what my riding companions are up to here, I'm sure they're just admiring the view?

Ribeira Rideout 2.jpg

Now across country, cutting across a reservoir dam:

Fisterra Dam.jpg

to arrive at the Fisterra lighthouse:

Fisterra Lighthouse.jpg

Looking back from the lighthouse:

Fisterra Coast.jpg

the next day it's on to the Parador at Cangas de Onis. They've reserved us some parking:

Cangas Parador Bikes 1.jpg

It's very pretty round here:

Cangas River View 2.jpg

Cangas Roman Bridge 2.jpg

Cangas Scenery.jpg

10 days, 2,000 miles and sunshine all the way. What more can you ask? Some of us didn't make it though..!

Cangas Road Kill.jpg

Wow, that looks like a great break. I wish I had signed up for it now (work got in the way though). Great pictures as well.

I must go back to Spain on the bike again - I had forgotten how good those roads are.

How did you find the 'long ferry'?

Andy thumbsup.gif

BitScribbler
How did you find the 'long ferry'?

Just followed the signs into Plymouth! smile.gif

Seriously, we thought it was great, one of the best we've been on. Mind you, we did go berserk and splash out on a deluxe cabin, so we had a lovely picture window and somewhere nice and private to relax. We were lucky with the weather too, so all in all the time passed very quickly.

Beautiful photos ............. and what great scenery .

Also looks like the weather was kind to you .

I'm with Andy on this one , Spain looks a nice place to ride the bike .

Steve

Great ride report there Colin, the scenery looks wonderful, and the roads too.

We are so glad you had a great and safe time.

Now where's that map of Europe??

BitScribbler

Thank you all for the nice comments. I am enthused to do more. I now appreciate what's involved for the people who contribute much more regularly!

Did you take your own bike over or rent it over there? If rented, how does that work?

There is a ferry runs from Plymouth (South West England) to Santander (Northern Spain) which means we take our own bikes. The only slight snag is for people who live in the north of the UK, because it's a bit of a drag to the south coast. It's a small price to pay for having your own bike though.

The wife and I took the RT to Spain over Easter and we did almost exactly your itinery, except that we did it in the reverse order.

We found that the spanish and portugese roads were perfect for motorcycle touring - almost empty of traffic and apart from the drag from Salamanca to the Picos interesting and good riding with sweepers and twisters to play on. The most boring part of 2500 mile tour was the 700 mile round trip from home to Plymouth on the M5 and M6.

The Spanish and Portugese people - although few spoke english - were extremely friendly and helpful. The seafood was superb - so fresh that in most restaurant windows it was still live and wriggling! The whole holiday was one of the most relaxing we have ever taken.

As soon as the ferry is taking bookings for next year we will reserve our cabin for another trip over there.

i have a place in Spain, between Alicante and Valencia, on the Costa Blanca, as it's called. Stashed there is my 1970 Norton twin, full fairing, bright red. i've had it there for about 30 years, have driven all over Spain with it, many wonderful rides and adventures.

Nice one!

Heading to Santander then to north of Barcelona in August

Thanks for whetting the appetite...

Me too, July 7. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

This is the time of year when I wish my life away, if I was only 2 weeks and one day older I would be packing the bike for the off tomorrow morning.

This will be the 1st year in seven that I have gone with someone else, I usually travel alone, but last year I found that at most camp sites I was still alone. That can be a downer, it's nice to have company when eating and sharing a bottle or 2 (or 3 or 4 or .....)

Can't wait, thanks for the appetiser and real good pics Colin

Cheers,

Graham

Anybody got any route/places to stay/see from Santander to Costa Brava? (staying about 40kms north of Barcelona)

Tx

BitScribbler
Anybody got any route/places to stay/see from Santander to Costa Brava? (staying about 40kms north of Barcelona)

Tx

Places to stay: you can't go wrong with the Paradors.

Great pictures. My wife and I were in Portugal for 10 days 18 months ago. Did you stay in the Porto Pestana? It is the yellow hotel in the middle of one of your pictures of Porto and it looks like a couple of your pictures were taken from the hotel.

We stayed there and it was the nicest hotel we had in the entire ten days. However, the state owned posadas(which we used the other days) were very high quality as well. We really enjoyed Portugal and will return.

Don

BitScribbler

Indeed yes, we stayed at the Postana. I agree it's a lovely hotel - you can't beat the location. We had a bathroom with two large windows overlooking the river, and a room overlooking the square that I photographed. Mind you, riding on the cobbled roads was "entertaining", especially up the 1-in-3 side roads near the hotel!

The Poussada and Spanish Paradores were also very nice indeed. Only the hotels in Salamanca and Santiago disappointed slightly, but that was due the very high standard of the others.

Great pics of your trip. Spain is absolutely one of my favorites. Would you mind sharing information about the camera/lens you used?

BitScribbler
Would you mind sharing information about the camera/lens you used?

Casio QV-3000EX. 3.3 mega-pixels, 5 years old!

Archived