IGNORED

Anybody with a tire changer in El Paso, TX or Las Cruces, NM?

Hey gang, couldn't find a regional forum where to post this, so I'm doing it here. Please let me know if there's a better place I missed. It's a long shot, but it's my only chance to avoid using the only local dealer 300 miles around, which I don't trust. I bought my bike there, and everything they touched on that bike, they screwed up (battery installed backwards, mirrors installed wrong, oil overfilled, battery cover grommets missing, battery jumper (red) cover missing, etc. So I'm almost positive they'd scratch my wheels, so rather pay somebody else with a nice changer.

Anyway, I have a Marc Parnes balancer myself, so I'd balance the wheels. And I'd take just the wheels (in my car), so it should be a relatively quick job. I could probably do it myself, but would like the help of the owner, to avoid scratching the wheels, or damaging the TPMS sensors. Oh, bike is an R1250R with 120/70/17 and 180/55/17 tires, but might require a rear adapter, due to the single-sided swingarm. Thank you guys.

Motorcycle talk or Bike Related Things forums would prolly get gooder results.

Anyway, order you up a pair of these tire spoons and if you concerned about scratching the wheels, get these things and you can change a tire in less than ten minutes.

I have had access in the past to others that have helped me with changing my tires.  That access dried up.  I took the plunge and decided to start changing my tires myself.  I purchased the items Rougarou suggested and changed my tires.  It took a while, but I did it.  I suspect the next time will be easier.  I would suggest buying at least one if not two bead keeper tools and maybe another regular tire changing spoon to help make the job easier.  

@Ron-M  Just as a gentle reminder....remember to pay attention to the ARROW for rotation direction when mounting...if not, it's obvious from across the parking lot!

(This is how I met Ron at START in April 2021 in Maggie Valley)

Brad

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Boxflyer said:

@Ron-M  Just as a gentle reminder....remember to pay attention to the ARROW for rotation direction when mounting...if not, it's obvious from across the parking lot!

Brad

Ya, if you saw my tire change video, you can see me twirling my fingers to ensure I've got the tire and wheel in the right direction

2 hours ago, Ron-M said:

I have had access in the past to others that have helped me with changing my tires.  That access dried up.  I took the plunge and decided to take changing my tires myself.  I purchased the items Rougarou suggested and changed my tires.  It took a while, but I did it.  I suspect the next time will be easier.  I would suggest buying at least one if not two bead keeper tools and maybe another regular tire changing spoon to help make the job easier.  

Ron, Columbus is a short jaunt. I've got a lift and a tire machine. Don't hesitate to reach out!

• Like 2
Oldrider51

I see that you are in El Paso, so there is a CycleGear there, at least their website says so. I have had good luck using them in Fayetteville, AR. No scratches or TPS problems with two changes on my RS. Could check with your store there. 

• Thinking 1
5 hours ago, Boxflyer said:

Brad

:grin:  Funny you mention that Brad.  I will never forget that.  Believe me. When I changed out these tires, I checked it three or four times before  installation to make sure the arrow was going the right way.  I even came out the next morning to inspect after the wheels were placed on the bike just to be sure.  I was replacing the tires before heading to Sparta and I wanted to make sure I passed inspection.  :dopeslap:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

Thank you guys. First, CycleGear was my first hope, but at least in El Paso, TX, they do NOT do BMW wheels, NOR TPMS, so I'm doubly screwed, since I have both. Ha ha.

Second, if MikeB60 referred to Columbus NM,  I'd take his offer. Ha ha. But I'm sure it's Columbus OH (or some other far away Columbus).

Third, Brad has a great point, and at least with the front tire, you have to watch for rotation on both tire installation, AND wheel installation. At least with our rear tire, you cannot screw up the wheel installation, since it can only go one way. But both tires need to be installed on their respective wheels with the proper orientation. And if dealer was to do any wrong, I'd catch it right there, but having to do the job twice would only increase the chances for damage (or more damage).

Finally, I'll look into cost of a tire changer, but doing it only like once every 3 years. Plus with the possibility of moving soon, so we don't want any more crap, so that might not be a smart solution... but will still look into it, if nobody can help. I only know of NoMar being good enough, so will check it out, especially if it requires drilling, which would be a deal-breaker for me (cannot drill my garage). It just occurred to me to post over the AdvRider site too, to see if I get better luck there. My Road 6 tires (non-GT) arrive next week, and want to have the job done soon after. I'm not going to use the bike in Feb, but dealers start getting busier soon, and since it's far away, I need to wait, and don't want to be there hours. Have a great weekend ahead, everybody. Thanks again for all your help.

Oldrider51
15 minutes ago, JCtx said:

Thank you guys. First, CycleGear was my first hope, but at least in El Paso, TX, they do NOT do BMW wheels, NOR TPMS, so I'm doubly screwed, since I have both. Ha ha.

Second, if MikeB60 referred to Columbus NM,  I'd take his offer. Ha ha. But I'm sure it's Columbus OH (or some other far away Columbus).

Third, Brad has a great point, and at least with the front tire, you have to watch for rotation on both tire installation, AND wheel installation. At least with our rear tire, you cannot screw up the wheel installation, since it can only go one way. But both tires need to be installed on their respective wheels with the proper orientation. And if dealer was to do any wrong, I'd catch it right there, but having to do the job twice would only increase the chances for damage (or more damage).

Finally, I'll look into cost of a tire changer, but doing it only like once every 3 years. Plus with the possibility of moving soon, so we don't want any more crap, so that might not be a smart solution... but will still look into it, if nobody can help. I only know of NoMar being good enough, so will check it out, especially if it requires drilling, which would be a deal-breaker for me (cannot drill my garage). It just occurred to me to post over the AdvRider site too, to see if I get better luck there. My Road 6 tires (non-GT) arrive next week, and want to have the job done soon after. I'm not going to use the bike in Feb, but dealers start getting busier soon, and since it's far away, I need to wait, and don't want to be there hours. Have a great weekend ahead, everybody. Thanks again for all your help.

Look at No-Mar and Rabaconda, from what I understand these are two of the best with Rabaconda being a little less expensive.

JcTx....someone will correct me if I am wrong.  I've changed a few BMW tires on a friends Harbor Freight tire changer.  It's been a while, but if I remember right, all that was needed was an adapter for the center of the rim to fit an otherwise standard tire changer.  Someone help out here and make sure I'm correct.

If what I said is true, buy the adapter and take your wheels to cyclegear.  I think Mitch below is the guy that makes awesome tools for tire changing.  I am pretty sure he will know if an adaptor would work at cyclegear

@Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday
29 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

JcTx....someone will correct me if I am wrong.  I've changed a few BMW tires on a friends Harbor Freight tire changer.  It's been a while, but if I remember right, all that was needed was an adapter for the center of the rim to fit an otherwise standard tire changer.  Someone help out here and make sure I'm correct.

If what I said is true, buy the adapter and take your wheels to cyclegear.  I think Mitch below is the guy that makes awesome tools for tire changing.  I am pretty sure he will know if an adaptor would work at cyclegear

Harbor Freight still sells their basic tire changing stand, suitable for stamped steel wheels. To work with motorcycle rims, you also need to buy their three-jawed adapter - and unfortunately, they discontinued that a few years ago.  

Hey guys, just looked at the changers. The NoMar is out of consideration, since it requires bolting it to the ground, and I cannot do that. The Rabaconda is exactly what I need, and somehow, never heard of it before. So thank you very much for recommending it, Oldrider. I'm going to seriously consider it, since dealer would charge me $250 (plus tax, and maybe other fees), which is near  half the cost of the changer. The other great reason to buy a changer is I could 'balance' my wheel alone, and determine the light point precisely. Then use the tire's heavy point (red dot) to minimize balancing, something my local dealer probably wouldn't do. The heavy point should be where the valve stems are, but it's not always right there (although close). My only question on the Rabaconda is which of the 2 adapters to buy. The BMW one is only good for BMWs, and $39. The universal is $45, but fits almost all other wheels, except maybe BMW K bikes, which apparently have a 72mm hub (Rs are 62mm). The front should fit over the regular 20mm adapter, right? If nobody offers a tire changer, I'm inclined to buy this one. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

• Like 1

You could bolt the NoMar to a 19/32" sheet of plywood to stand on.   I mounted mine to to extra 4" x 4" boards for use in the gravel area, outside, next to my shed.  Yeah, it moved a little, but I stood on the boards for leverage.  I have now enlarged my shed, which will allow the tire changer to be used inside.  I may leave the set-up alone for my upcoming tire change to prepare for START.  After that use, I will decide how it will be secured; I would rather not bolt it to the floor of the original part of my shed and  the the extended portion is concrete - no drilling that.   Dilemnas.

You could always drill your concrete, put sleeves in the holes, bolt the tire changer in when needed, then remove and cap the holes when not used.  Could prolly put a grinder on a stand to do the same thing.

• Like 1
ESokoloff
5 hours ago, Rougarou said:

You could always drill your concrete, put sleeves in the holes, bolt the tire changer in when needed, then remove and cap the holes when not used.  Could prolly put a grinder on a stand to do the same thing.

3/8” drop-in concrete anchors  is what I used to mount my NoMar to my RV pad. 
I use greased foamy ear plugs to help preserve them when not in use. 

Thank you for all the help guys. Normally, I need to change tires only once every 3 to 4 years (it was 2 this time, because stock ones were crap), plus I might move soon, so don't want any more crap than I already have:grin:. Plus can't drill my garage, and don't have space for bulky stuff, so any regular tire changer is out of consideration. If anything, I'd buy a something like the Rabaconda, which can be  stored in a  camping tent sized bag. But can't justify spending $700 (with BMW adapter) to use it every 4 years. And yes, all of those tire changers need a BMW adapter that I'm sure would work for CycleGear, but will call them tomorrow, and ask if they would do it with an adapter, and how much. Will also ask them why no TPMS. They might be afraid of damaging it, meaning they're not very good at changing tires. I'll also ask if I would pay them but do it myself, assuming they have a nice machine. Will also call the BMW dealer, and ask if they'd guarantee absolutely no damage to my wheels, and see what they say. I think if you take the wheels there, they charge $120, plus other fees and tax, so probably around $150. Will keep you posted.

You can always take the wheels off yourself bring them to a bike shop and the labor cost should drop significantly.  Put bike on center stand, remove wheels, put front axle back in, drop onto jack stand and the bike will stay that way just as if the wheels were on it.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, JCtx said:

I'll also ask if I would pay them but do it myself.

I would bet my last dollar that is a no go. Kinda of a liability thing.

• Like 1

I also bolted my No-Mar to a sheet of 3/4 plywood. The other end of the plywood sits under the front wheel of a car in the garage.

Unit is mobile when not in use and stationary when needed.

• Like 1