IGNORED

2009 R1200RT Won't Start

BaileyBMWGuy

BaileyBMWGuy

Hey there! Owned my 2009 R1200RT for the past 3 years after buying it on consignment (wouldn't recommend it) so the maintenance history has been a mystery. Over the past three years, the fuel pump was replaced and the fuel sensor strip went out but otherwise hasn't had problems until recently. It started up just fine but, on cold starts, it would start normally for a few seconds then the RPMs would drop from about 2000 down under 1000 to where the bike would almost stall then bounce back up and it wouldn't have any problems after that. A few weeks later, would not start at all. All the electronics turn on, and the fuel pump engages but when you push the starter you can hear it turn over but the engine won't start. Replaced the battery and the spark plugs, tested the fuel injectors and they're fine as well. I am relatively new to doing my own maintenance, but would love any help or advice!

dirtrider
16 hours ago, BaileyBMWGuy said:

Hey there! Owned my 2009 R1200RT for the past 3 years after buying it on consignment (wouldn't recommend it) so the maintenance history has been a mystery. Over the past three years, the fuel pump was replaced and the fuel sensor strip went out but otherwise hasn't had problems until recently. It started up just fine but, on cold starts, it would start normally for a few seconds then the RPMs would drop from about 2000 down under 1000 to where the bike would almost stall then bounce back up and it wouldn't have any problems after that. A few weeks later, would not start at all. All the electronics turn on, and the fuel pump engages but when you push the starter you can hear it turn over but the engine won't start. Replaced the battery and the spark plugs, tested the fuel injectors and they're fine as well. I am relatively new to doing my own maintenance, but would love any help or advice!

Afternoon  BaileyBMWGuy

If it's cold then try holding the throttles about 1/8-1/4 open THEN try starting it. 

Are the lower spark plugs wet (with fuel) after trying to start it?

Does it even have a bluish colored spark while cranking (with spark plugs still in the cylinder head)?

Not much to go on.

When was the last time that you added fuel before the problem appeared? Possibly bad gasoline?