IGNORED

BMW 49L Top Box won't open

Bill_Walker

Bill_Walker

Hi, folks!  Long time, no see!

I went to ride my '15 R1200RT the other day, and found that the BMW 49L top box would not open.  On this model, opening is a two-step process:
1) Push in on the lock cylinder to release the latch handle
2) Lift the latch handle to unlatch the lid

My problem is with step 1.  I push in the cylinder and nothing happens.  It comes to a hard stop at what seems like the normal depth.  I've tried holding in the latch handle and pressing down on the lid, to no available.  It just feels like pressing in the lock cylinder isn't doing anything.  I've seen from searching that I can buy a tool to remove the lock cylinder, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that that will help me release the latch handle.

Is there any way to restore this to a usable condition?  I like the box, and have a fitted bag for it, so I'd like to keep it.  Thanks for your help.

Here's a photo for box identification:

IMG_7017.jpeg

Any chance you last locked it with the central lock all feature?  Try locking/unlocking with that first.  Wondered where you've been..

Bill_Walker

I don't have central locking on the top box.  It's a no-wires add-on (albeit on the bike when I bought it in '17).

On 2/1/2024 at 4:36 PM, Bill_Walker said:

I don't have central locking on the top box.  It's a no-wires add-on (albeit on the bike when I bought it in '17).

My box does the same thing.  To fix it I put the key in the lock and give it a good whack.  Works every time.  I need to get a new lock but too lazy.

Just now, simskid said:

My box does the same thing.  To fix it I put the key in the lock and give it a good whack.  Works every time.  I need to get a new lock but too lazy.

I have the same box.

3 minutes ago, simskid said:

Ya, mine sometimes needs a whack dead on the keyslot, but I don't have the key inserted.

3 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Ya, mine sometimes needs a whack dead on the keyslot, but I don't have the key inserted.

Looks like we both need new locks.  

Bill_Walker
4 hours ago, simskid said:

Thanks, I'll give that a try.  I did try pushing on it as hard as I could.  Giving either the lock or the end of the key a whack kinda feels like a recipe for damaging one or the other, though.  But I'm no worse off if I dent the lock face, I guess.