IGNORED

Nav V dead battery

Skywagon

I don't leave it on the bike.  I bring it in the house.  I had not used it for a couple of months.  It would not come on.  I hooked it up to my pc to check for updates.  It would try to boot, but shut off before it booted.  I suspected the battery was dead.  I put in a spare battery and all worked fine.  I changed it back to the dead battery and went for a 200 mile ride today.  It worked fine and when I got home and checked it had fully charged.

The point of my note is don't throw away a battery that won't boot on it's own or when plugged into your pc.  Take it for a ride and see if it will come back to life.  I actually have 4 spares I keep charged.  Long story on why I have 4 spares, but I do.

Skywagon, I had a similar issue.  I found the voltage from the PC wasn't high enough, I then plugged it in to a wall charger used to charge cell phones and such.  Give it a few minuets and it works fine.  To charge with a wall charger the Nav needs to stay on, it won't charge when turned off.   

The same also applies for the Nav 6 units.

I think Garmin posted a YouTube video last week, about recharging the units if they have not been used in a while.

The Rocketman

Not sure if you shut it all the way off by holding the power button down for a while until the "shut off" option shows up, or just pushed the power button lightly to put it in sleep mode. Also not sure if it drains during sleep mode.

Yes shut it off all the way.  It has always used some battery when off the bike since I bought new in 2014.  I can take it off the bike full, bring it in the house for a week or two, and when I turn it on it will be about 1/2 battery.  No issue, was just surprised the low voltage on PC wouldn't allow it to start up.