IGNORED

Los Angeles to START route help

A buddy and I are riding from Los Angeles to hook up with you all in Newport Tennessee for START.  We are route planning and looking for “not to be missed” roads along the way.  If you have any knowledge of these roads, please pass the information along.

Here is our general route direction.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/tmvaqYxVuowPMuNGA?g_st=ig

What are you looking for?  Sites, twisties, etc? 

Route 66 is pretty cool to try and follow and see stuff along the way.

• Like 1

You’ve probably ridden it a thousand times :dontknow: but you could start the trip with a smile on the Angeles Crest Hwy leaving the city. Thinking a little bit more of a northern route east but, unsure of elevation and temps in April. Southern Colorado in particular. :5146:

Yeah, definitely looking for twisty roads.  Really looking for stuff east of Arizona.  We will definitely do the 191 south out of Alpine Arizona, and from there east is where we really need help. Thx 

GS riders? Again, probably nothing you don’t already know about but on your way up to Alpine you could ride the Apache Trail just east of Phoenix. 

Oldrider51

Highways 16, 23, 7 are some good roads in Arkansas, but not for making time. Texas Hill country as mentioned by @MikeB60 is good but really far south of your planned route coming to Newport, maybe headed back take the southern route. The area is west of Austin and between Austin and San Antonio. Have a safe ride.

Thx TEWKS!  Apache Trail  Looks great.  
MikeB60 & Oldrider51 can you please expand on Texas Hill country roads?

• Like 1

Here is a LINK. It's Texas so there is an abundance of good BBQ in the area as well. If you need a break from riding Fredericksburg is a cool place with a good WW II museum if you're in to that kind of thing. April is a good time to visit, the bluebonnets are in bloom and it's not 10000 degrees yet.  

• Like 2

To the southern Texas route, Mike is right, great BBQ and the WWII museum is good. If you travel north through Dallas there is a really good MC museum

HAAS MOTO MUSEUM & SCULPTURE GALLERY

info@haasmg.com

(972) 685-3051

1201 Oak Lawn Avenue, Suite 110
Dallas Texas

I also will vote for 191 ! Hope you can do it's whole length! 

NM 117 through the Malpais Conservation area is very pretty ride. Don't know if you can get to that on this trip.

Indy Dave

@GSJOE is also currently looking for suggestions for the trek from Memphis to Newport. Anyone? :5147:

6 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

@GSJOE is also currently looking for suggestions for the trek from Memphis to Newport. Anyone? :5147:

I look at see what I find for them. I know I have a route from SE-MO to the UnRally in WV i can modify. Do they speak southern slang (redneck)?

@GSJOE Here is a route from Springfield, MO to Newport, TN. I rode most of that route on my way from the BMW-MOA Rally in 2022 to the UnRally in Canaan Valley, WV.

You should be easily able to interest that route from anywhere like Oklahoma or Arkansas.

Let me know if you have a problem downloading the file, I can send you also a Dropbox link.

Springfield, MO-Newport, TN.GPX

• Like 1

Thank you Bernie!  And to answer you question ... As country singer Hardy would say ... "I'm Rednecker than you"

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

Last summer the Scooter Cannonball was held. From San Clemente to Hilton Head. Maps are still up I believe. You could look at those routes and see if they are something worthwhile. I was a participant and really enjoyed the route. Arkansas was spectacular...twisties the whole day. Oklahoma was not boring and flat like I thought it would be. CA/AZ/NM are always good in my book!  Have a good trip!:18: 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...