IGNORED

Right side misfire

Matts_12GS

Matts_12GS

Good morning!   I went to start my 13 GSW this morning and it's got a definite miss.  Only the  ride side.  I can't even ride it enough  to do more than idle.  Any throttle and it stalls.

Any thoughts on where to start troubleshooting?  The right exhaust is definitely cooler than the left, so I'm suspecting a coil failure.

dirtrider
19 minutes ago, Matts_12GS said:

Good morning!   I went to start my 13 GSW this morning and it's got a definite miss.  Only the  ride side.  I can't even ride it enough  to do more than idle.  Any throttle and it stalls.

Any thoughts on where to start troubleshooting?  The right exhaust is definitely cooler than the left, so I'm suspecting a coil failure.

Morning Matt

With it idling (right after starting) carefully feel the front exhaust pipes to see if one is cold, or if one side is hotter than the other side. 

Any work done to motorcycle recently??? 

Any tip overs or something like that????

How long ago did you put fuel in it?  

Matts_12GS

Hi DR.

Fuel is a month ish old.

I had a recall done to my switchgear and it was fine after.

I have given it a bath just after the last ride.  I'm wondering if the coil contact is corroded 

dirtrider
11 minutes ago, Matts_12GS said:

Hi DR.

Fuel is a month ish old.

I had a recall done to my switchgear and it was fine after.

I have given it a bath just after the last ride.  I'm wondering if the coil contact is corroded 

Morning Matt

I'm wondering if the coil contact is corroded __

That doesn't seem likely but anything is possible. 

Any gas fume smells coming from the fuel filler cap area in the past after filling the fuel tank?   Reason being, IF gas fumes can get out then water (from your washing can get in)

If both side pipes are getting warm while idling then maybe try allowing it to idle until hot, possibly that would dry things out.

If one side pipe is cold or cool the don't idle it for long. If you have a cool or cold pipe then you need to find out what is causing that.

Matts_12GS

Right side is cooler... I wasn't sure if this is a dual spark or not but that is why I suspected a coil might be the issue...

dirtrider
7 minutes ago, Matts_12GS said:

Right side is cooler... I wasn't sure if this is a dual spark or not but that is why I suspected a coil might be the issue...

Morning Matt

Should only have 1 spark plug on each side. 

You might need to remove the coil & spark plug to see if the plug looks fouled, if OK looking then actually check for a spark on that side. 

• Like 1
Matts_12GS

Problem solved.  @Boxflyer recommended I replace my plugs after he did my cam timing.   I didn't get the coil connector fully together when I reassembled the side.

Thanks @dirtrider

• Like 3
dirtrider
16 hours ago, Matts_12GS said:

Problem solved.  @Boxflyer recommended I replace my plugs after he did my cam timing.   I didn't get the coil connector fully together when I reassembled the side.

Thanks @dirtrider

Morning Matt

Great news, I like easy fixes!

• Plus 1 1