IGNORED

SHAD TERRA TR40 Adventure Saddlebags Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

SHAD TR40 Saddlebags Review Intro

I’m always looking for gear that checks the right boxes, and I may have found just that with the SHAD TERRA TR40 Adventure Saddlebags. During a recent 1,800-mile trip from Virginia to Tennessee across various terrain, including parts of the TAT, The Tail of the Dragon, backroads, and interstate, I put these bags to the test.

Shad TR40 Saddlebags Review 901

The bags are made of abrasion- and UV-resistant material. There are 64 liters of total storage between them, which feature inner (removable) and outer waterproof rolltop bags and an exterior MOLLE system if you want to attach other pouches or pockets. I rode through several rainstorms, and they remained dry inside. Two accessories come with the kit, a fuel bottle harness and a waterproof pouch. The six DURAFLEX cam-buckles worked great, adjusting the bag size to keep my gear tight and prevent the bags from bouncing around offroad.

Shad TR40 Saddlebags Review mount

A proprietary 4P mounting system made of 20mm powder-coated stainless steel is sold separately. Note it’s custom-designed for various models, and SHAD makes a mount for most adventure bikes. My TR40 saddlebags, for example, are mounted to a Norden 901 Expedition as it’s my extreme offroad bike. The 4P system is robust, but a little heavy at almost 15 lb. That said, it’s designed to keep the weight low-mounted and manageable.

One of my favorite features is the double locking system, which locks the bags to the 4P mounts, securing their contents. No more parking at the front door of a gas station or convenience store—I’m able to confidently leave the bike knowing that my gear is safe.

If you have an office job or use your bike for daily commuting, The TR40 saddlebags are perfect for throwing your briefcase, laptop, and lunch in one pannier and stowing riding gear in the other so you can hit that trail on the way home from work. These saddlebags have enough features to say they are one-and-done for all your adventure riding needs. From the concrete jungle to the Backcountry Discovery Routes, they hit the mark for me. I give them two thumbs up!

Shad TR40 Saddlebags Review content

ShadUSA.com

MSRP: Luggage—$578.99 | Luggage mounts—$286.99 (for a Norden 901)

PROS:

• Double locking system
  • Waterproof
  • MOLLE attachment options

CONS:

• The 4P mounting system is heavy

Read more ...

View the full article