IGNORED

Paint Protection - Need Advice

simskid

Happy New Year all!  

I just picked up a new 2024 Triple Black RT.  I am contemplating the "best" type of paint protection.  I've boiled it down to Ceramic vs 3M film (Tony James Designs - Precut) vs nothing.  I like the idea of ceramic coating but I'm really not sure how protective it really is.  I also worry about the film (edges curling up over time).  On my wet head I did nothing and it did get beat up a bit.  Is there something else I should consider?  I ride all year and over a good part of the US.  I've searched the forums and got some info but would really appreciate your input.

Thanks

John

chrisolson

For me, film is the ultimate protection if applied correctly.... professional installation preferred even though it may seem simple, a pro has the experience to do it right the first time.  As well,  a shop will most likely offer some form of warranty.

• Like 1

I just ceramic coated my triple black 22RT. It looks fantastic and the coating makes clean up much easier. I'm sold on ceramic coating had my F150 done professionally and knocked out the RT and my Grand Marquis myself. One of the previous owners of my GS had it coated as well.  It does provide some protection but nothing like the 3m product. When I bought my GT in 2016 I put one of the precut kits on it.  Turned out well but I pulled it off last year as it started to yellow and the seams started looking rough. My wife had detail shop apply paint protection film to her Spyder in 2016 and it still looks good. However it spends much more time in the garage when compared to my GT. If I lived out west I'd consider a paint protection film and you can apply ceramic coating over the film as well.

1 hour ago, MikeB60 said:

Here is a photo.

20231123_170648.thumb.jpg.d27b96668134c67abda7002c7964fe0c.jpg

Great Pix.  Ceramic coat the rims as well.  Heck ceramic coat the kid!!

• Like 1
  • Smile 2

You need to find him some BMW RT slippers.   Just sayin'

• Smile 1

OK. Here's what I'm a gonna do.  TonyJames Designs https://tonyjamesdesigns.com  has different. film  packages for all kinds of bikes .  I ordered the "tour" package in which the film covers the more exposed surfaces ie.  top of the panniers, all front facing painted and plastic surfaces.  Those surfaces that I have the experience of scratching up over the years.  Could have just bought some 3M film and cut it myself but I know the outcome would not be as good as what I think its going to be. I will ceramic coat the rest including the wheel rims so I can clean those easier Anxious to see if brake dust comes off better than a non treated wheel).  

Can't hardly wait to ride this thing.  Here in CT still rain, sleet, and snow.   

See you all somewhere on the road...........

John

• Like 1